Heavier the viscosity = more resistance = more heet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Talion
  4. Talion EXB
Am i wrong about gear lube. I have tried thicker lubes an even grease in my diffs,an all i achieve is more heet. Which causes problems with everything from esc to batteries to the motor. Is probably why arrma under fills an uses lighter lube.

Gear lube is not the same as diff fluid. Gear lubes primary function is to helps the gear teeth slide across each other. Diff fluids primary function is to control / limit the speed the gears inside the diff can spin.

If you assume the same diff gear speed, then yes, thicker fluid will generate a lot of heat. But in reality, thicker fluid slows the diff action down, so the gears spin LESS so there is less heat.

Gear lube on the ring and pinion, yes, too thick of grease can slow things down, add heat to the motor.

Arrma uses thinner fluid in the diff because that makes the truck turn better / better handling. Bashers often like thicker fluid, because that will put more power to the ground.

Bashers often like thicker fluid, because that will put more power to the ground.
Also helps avoid having the front tires blow out due to the center diff unloading with light lube for those of us with itchy trigger fingers. I try to adjust my center weight to something that allows me to run hard throttle without instant wheelies in the grass. As for front/rear, I just use thicker (50-100k) so it's less likely to leak out, since I don't care much about turning ability... The only turning I do is to slow down, turn around, then hit a jump again. For track running, you would want to care a lot more to aid in straight line power and turning ability which oil weights adjust.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back