Senton Heavy cogging after changing Servo? Senton BLX 3s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningMcQueen

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
Got my new Senton 3S BLX V3 in November , drove it 50 times and never had any issues.
My stock Servo just died over night so I ordered a Savöx SW-0231MG Servo.
After adjusting the new servo, I ran the rc about 7 minutes on the street and the car startet cogging. After about 2 minutes it got worse and i had to give the rc a push-start after every stand still. It could not accelerate from very low speed by itsself.
I checkt the gears and bearings and everything is running smoth (still running everything stock).
I also tested a identical motor from another Senton and it had the same issues with 2s and 3s.
When the motor is not connected to the gearing it runs perfectly.
I also depluged the servo from the receiver but that changed nothing.
There is no visible wiredamage.
I have also reset the esc.
I do regulary maintenance and use a dust cover to protect the elecronics from mud, dust and wetness.

Does anybody know if I broke the esc by changing the servo (I cannot imagine that) or is this just a bad coincidence?
Had someone similar problems?
Do you know if and how i can fix my esc (and eventually motor) or do i have to send it to HH?

Thanks for your help and replies.

Not sure how you would get cogging from changing a servo? Is it possible your slipper has come loose? Video if possible!

Not sure how you would get cogging from changing a servo? Is it possible your slipper has come loose? Video if possible!
Driving at higher speed the splipper clutch feels good.
I removed the driveshaft and with only RWD the slipper clutch appeares solid.

Heres a video i recorded yesterday:

Driving at higher speed the splipper clutch feels good.
I removed the driveshaft and with only RWD the slipper clutch appeares solid.

Heres a video i recorded yesterday:

It's hard to tell by the vid, I would remove the motor module and take a look at the slipper, check your pinion, and motor bearings.

I have a feeling it's the slipper. Mine handled the exact same way and only actually performed after a push and at high speed. When I took apart my slipper, I found out why. At the higher speeds, it was seizing up and working like a lockout but was gaining enough release after stopping to cause the cogging.
A simple test would be to hold the throttle when it cogs instead of releasing like you do in the video.
20210107_213224_03.jpg
20210107_213349.jpg
20210107_221125.jpg
20210107_221148.jpg

Got my new Senton 3S BLX V3 in November , drove it 50 times and never had any issues.
My stock Servo just died over night so I ordered a Savöx SW-0231MG Servo.
After adjusting the new servo, I ran the rc about 7 minutes on the street and the car startet cogging. After about 2 minutes it got worse and i had to give the rc a push-start after every stand still. It could not accelerate from very low speed by itsself.
I checkt the gears and bearings and everything is running smoth (still running everything stock).
I also tested a identical motor from another Senton and it had the same issues with 2s and 3s.
When the motor is not connected to the gearing it runs perfectly.
I also depluged the servo from the receiver but that changed nothing.
There is no visible wiredamage.
I have also reset the esc.
I do regulary maintenance and use a dust cover to protect the elecronics from mud, dust and wetness.

Does anybody know if I broke the esc by changing the servo (I cannot imagine that) or is this just a bad coincidence?
Had someone similar problems?
Do you know if and how i can fix my esc (and eventually motor) or do i have to send it to HH?

Thanks for your help and replies.
Savox servos are pretty power hungry, so it could also be the internal BEC. I'm not sure how much the SW-0231MG draws, but some Savox servos draw up to 5 amps (BLX100 has a 3 amp BEC), which could have damaged the ESC. If possible, try testing it with a different ESC.

Thank you all for your help and response :)
I switched the wohle motor-module including the slipper clutch with a 2 weeks old senton which had only 5 runs and nothing changes. So i don't think, that the slipper clutch or the motor are the problem. But to be sure ill check them too.

Savox servos are pretty power hungry, so it could also be the internal BEC. I'm not sure how much the SW-0231MG draws, but some Savox servos draw up to 5 amps (BLX100 has a 3 amp BEC), which could have damaged the ESC. If possible, try testing it with a different ESC.
Thats my worst fear. Do you think HH will notice this if i sent my esc for a exchange? Is there any safety notice that you are not allowed to use those 5 amps savox servos on this esc? Do you know some good servos i can buy instead?
I will change the esc with the esc of the other newer senton while having the servo unconnected.
I have a feeling it's the slipper. Mine handled the exact same way and only actually performed after a push and at high speed. When I took apart my slipper, I found out why. At the higher speeds, it was seizing up and working like a lockout but was gaining enough release after stopping to cause the cogging.
A simple test would be to hold the throttle when it cogs instead of releasing like you do in the video.
How many battery packs has this slipper cutch seen? :0
I think i will open mine the next days to be sure.

Doubt Horizon will even ask you to send the esc back. I had to buy a new one in December after mine fried in my 3s. The new one was faulty, stopped working after 2/3 runs. Contacted Horizon via chat on their site and had a new one in 5 days. And still have the old(will keep for parts, I guess)

Sounds like you have a broken diff gear I would take the drive shaft and motor out and spin to front wheels and back wheels and you should be able to feel which side it is

Your motor is definitely not getting enough power.

I would try recalibrating the throttle end points on your ESC. Not sure what you mean by “resetting your ESC”, but you need to tell it where the end points are.

Do the second half of this video. Heck do the first half too if you haven’t already!

Doubt Horizon will even ask you to send the esc back. I had to buy a new one in December after mine fried in my 3s. The new one was faulty, stopped working after 2/3 runs. Contacted Horizon via chat on their site and had a new one in 5 days. And still have the old(will keep for parts, I guess)
Thanks, that would be perfect! I don't want to wait several weeks until I can drive again :/

Sounds like you have a broken diff gear I would take the drive shaft and motor out and spin to front wheels and back wheels and you should be able to feel which side it is
I did a whole maintenance with rebuilding both diffs and all bearings while waiting for the servo and everything look like new and runs smooth like on the first day.

I would try recalibrating the throttle end points on your ESC. Not sure what you mean by “resetting your ESC”, but you need to tell it where the end points are.

Do the second half of this video. Heck do the first half too if you haven’t already!

Thanks for the advice, I will try it. Since I still haven't done it yet, I will go through the whole video!
With resetting i meant pressing the button on the ESC for 4 seconds until red and green shines and then switch the ESC off.

So I went through the whole video but the problem is still there... I also checked the slipper clutch to be 100% sure.

When I give the car a good push and its faster than circa 5mph it can speed up to its usual maximum speed without a problem so I think theres enough power available

So I went through the whole video but the problem is still there... I also checked the slipper clutch to be 100% sure.

When I give the car a good push and its faster than circa 5mph it can speed up to its usual maximum speed without a problem so I think theres enough power available

I think your ESC is bad then. :confused:

I think your ESC is bad then. :confused:

I agree sounds like classic 3s ECS issues. Cogging is usually caused by a crook motor (usually a bad motor bearing) or a sick ESC. I doubt the servo is the issue as I have run this same servo in a Vorteks with no issues.

HH warranty the ESC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back