Hector_Fisher builds a SCT410.3 and stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
I think I found my one RC that will do everything.

After deliberating for a while (https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/whats-a-good-multi-purpose-rc-for-street-bashing.54728/), the Typhon was a close second, but the SCT look has always appealed to me. I loved my BLX Senton when I first got it, but after it was plagued by the sloppy steering and typically handling of the 3s line, I became disenchanted and turned it into my big rock.

Purposes: 4s street bashing, track time, bashing, hopefully my "go-to" RC when I don’t want to go anywhere and just kill a pack in front of my house.

From the start I bought TKR5570-17 (17mm hex buggy conversion set), the aluminum A block, and steel diff pins (TKR5149A). Especially since I got the kit from Tower Hobbies for $260!

Since I've always been a budget builder (and I also spent so much on other parts...) this will be no exception. It will be using some electronics from my MT410 (as we approach rainy season) in the mean time. 130a spektrum with an Amazon special servo. On the way is currently a 27kg jx ecoboost servo. I'll be running my big rock's 3660 3200kv motor as I've had reasonable success running 4s on these motors. I'll be using the old senton body until it's no longer viable.not the best looking... but it'll do for now.

In time I'd like to get a good set of tires for a clay track, some buggy tires for off-road bashing, and a 3670 or 3674 motor for smoother power delivery. Some nice updates to look forward to.

Still finishing up the build, but wanted to share some pictures cause I'm stoked for how it's turning out!

20220925_215111.jpg

20220925_215048.jpg

Can't wait to see how yours turns out.!!
I looked at the 17mm conversion, but decided to run totally stock for now 😎 when I get fed up with no choices of tyres I'll move over to the 17mm I think.
I'm mostly doing it because i don't have a single 12mm hex wheel in the garage!

And that's also the beauty of the 17mm hex conversion. Easy to go back and forth as much as you want! ;) I've considered that if I ever want to get into "actual" races. I'd probably pick up a set of 12mm hex wheels/tires for racing and swap to the standard axles for the weekend.
View attachment 245987
I’m Running the proline 2.8 trenchers on mine fit the stock axles. So I can pop them off and go race. Things a little beast. Paint coming.
That's the monster fusion body? It looks awesome! I'll be looking for a good replacement body eventually, the senton body isn't really "doing it for me" right now.

I'm mostly doing it because i don't have a single 12mm hex wheel in the garage!

And that's also the beauty of the 17mm hex conversion. Easy to go back and forth as much as you want! ;) I've considered that if I ever want to get into "actual" races. I'd probably pick up a set of 12mm hex wheels/tires for racing and swap to the standard axles for the weekend.

That's the monster fusion body? It looks awesome! I'll be looking for a good replacement body eventually, the senton body isn't really "doing it for me" right now.
Yes, the only body I could find that worked with the 2.8 trenchers Without modifying it or the truck. Things a beast on 3S.

Sweet!! Took me all week to stumble in..lol. I like the plan! Question, how much (if any) do the 17mm adapters move the wheels out from stock? I've been contemplating getting them but don't want the tires to rub the body.

Finally got it built!
20220930_125725.jpg

Wiring is a bit wonky right now, but somewhat temporary as I just wanted to get this ready for a shakedown run.

Side note, the SCT battery straps are SMALLER than the MT410 straps. Hadn't considered that. Luckily I had some extra straps laying around to swap in, otherwise i wouldn't be able to run the 4s set I have.

Had to trim the body quite a bit to prevent the tires from rubbing. Also had mounted the body higher up than I would have liked for the same reason. With the 17mm hex kit (which extends the hubs out quite a bit) and 107 hoons, this sucker is wide!!
20220930_141417.jpg

Which leads me to my next problem. Most SCT bodies aren't going to fit. At least running the 107 hoons that I am (they add close to 1/2 inch extra wide). They look awesome! But just aren't functional. Don't have any narrower wheels to compare, but hoping that when I switch to buggy tires I can find some closed wheel bodies that fit. Otherwise I'll be looking for an open wheel body for bashing sooner than later.

I'll get a run in later today and we'll see how she drives! 😬
20220930_125932.jpg

20220930_125923.jpg

Finally got it built!
View attachment 246962
Wiring is a bit wonky right now, but somewhat temporary as I just wanted to get this ready for a shakedown run.

Side note, the SCT battery straps are SMALLER than the MT410 straps. Hadn't considered that. Luckily I had some extra straps laying around to swap in, otherwise i wouldn't be able to run the 4s set I have.

Had to trim the body quite a bit to prevent the tires from rubbing. Also had mounted the body higher up than I would have liked for the same reason. With the 17mm hex kit (which extends the hubs out quite a bit) and 107 hoons, this sucker is wide!!
View attachment 246968
Which leads me to my next problem. Most SCT bodies aren't going to fit. At least running the 107 hoons that I am (they add close to 1/2 inch extra wide). They look awesome! But just aren't functional. Don't have any narrower wheels to compare, but hoping that when I switch to buggy tires I can find some closed wheel bodies that fit. Otherwise I'll be looking for an open wheel body for bashing sooner than later.

I'll get a run in later today and we'll see how she drives! 😬
View attachment 246970
View attachment 246971
Wow!! Looks bitchin!! Love it. We're cut from the same cloth(budget builds)!! LOL.
You answered my question as I was typing it about the hub adapters,..
Do you plan on doing anything to "slam" the suspension down for street bashing? I'm sure there's ways to do it. I think you'd wanna keep it low? Lookin good man, go rip that thing!!😀🤘👌

Wow!! Looks bitchin!! Love it. We're cut from the same cloth(budget builds)!! LOL.
You answered my question as I was typing it about the hub adapters,..
Do you plan on doing anything to "slam" the suspension down for street bashing? I'm sure there's ways to do it. I think you'd wanna keep it low? Lookin good man, go rip that thing!!😀🤘👌
To answer your question, 17mm hubs add a little over a 1/4 inch to either hub.
20220930_142911.jpg

I would have liked to put the body down lower at least for a better "look". But yeah you're right if I want true street handling I'll probably have to change out springs and add some fuel tubing to the shock shafts. It's pretty squishy and set up for a track, not street bashing :LOL:

I'm off from work in a few and I'll report back with the run!

Well this sucks. Had everything thread locked down. But apparently since the pin isn't captured by the wheel, it ejected at some point while driving and the wheel eventually fell off. :mad:
View attachment 247000
Isn't the pin held by a grub through the stub from the open end? Damn!! Sorry to hear.
You just need the cross pin right?

Isn't the pin held by a grub through the stub from the open end? Damn!! Sorry to hear.
You just need the cross pin right?
Yeah exactly. Had everything torqued down nice and tight. Yeah just need the cross pin. But it looks like they only sell the kit?

What's the diameter ya think? 2mm,3? Not sure off hand what size Arrmas use..what about borrowing one from the MT410? Same diameter?
Or, maybe a pin from the unused sct kit? What does it use to secure the wheel hex, I forgot already, LOL.
Man.. I got pins out the butt, wish I could help a brother out..gotta be something laying around that'll fit? It does use a grub screw to hold them right?

No dice on the MT pin, it's too big. Thanks for the suggestion. And the ones for the 12mm hex are too small and don't have the recess for the grub screw that's in the stub axle. I'm going around with an old rotor right now trying to suck the little bugger up in the grass and gutter.

Might try and swap something tonight, or just suck it up and buy another set.

FOUND IT. Thank goodness. Was not interested in spending another 30 bucks just for a pin. Neighbors probably got a good show watching me walk around for 45 minutes intently staring at the ground :LOL:
20220930_163123.jpg

MT pin is slightly bigger.

FOUND IT. Thank goodness. Was not interested in spending another 30 bucks just for a pin. Neighbors probably got a good show watching me walk around for 45 minutes intently staring at the ground :LOL:
View attachment 247022
Good deal, glad you found it. I'm sure the recess helps prevent the pin from walking, but not necessary. I think Tekno is the only manufacturer I've seen do that. I think you should get measurements on it so you can find an alternate source just in case..

View attachment 247022
Glad you found 'em. I just cut down some good quality nails with a Dremel to make my own cross pins if I lose one. They work just fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back