Hector_Fisher builds a SCT410.3 and stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think i'd like to try 15/20/10 for diff fluids. One of these days i'll get around to adding a few more dabs of 30k in each diff to stiffen them up. TBH though, tearing diffs apart is probably my LEAST favorite thing to do... so it will probably be a while.

Bunch of people complained about how soft the SCT rear springs were. I haven't really gone off road, so i can't comment. Any complaints from your end?
No, I do have them dialed down a ways, but I find them suitable. I think if I were running heavier batteries or electronics (or street running) maybe I'd want heavier springs? As for the diffs, I run them a bit on the looser side. I prefer control over forward drive. Too stiff a fluid forces the wheels to break loose easier on turns for me. I'm not really a "basher" by traditional means I guess.

Agree, actually you're right I wouldn't want to go too high in the front. I remember now i experimented with 30k in the front of my Bullet a few years back. Couldn't steer to save it's life :LOL: I'm pretty happy with the front TBH. It's the center mostly and then maybe the rear. I'm wondering if stiff center would help me get a little more controllable "slide". Not looking to drift, just more all wheel spin than diffing out. So center for sure at first. maybe 20k or 30k, then i'll look at the rear if needs be. I know diff fluid is one of those "how it makes you feel" things.

Agree, actually you're right I wouldn't want to go too high in the front. I remember now i experimented with 30k in the front of my Bullet a few years back. Couldn't steer to save it's life :LOL: I'm pretty happy with the front TBH. It's the center mostly and then maybe the rear. I'm wondering if stiff center would help me get a little more controllable "slide". Not looking to drift, just more all wheel spin than diffing out. So center for sure at first. maybe 20k or 30k, then i'll look at the rear if needs be. I know diff fluid is one of those "how it makes you feel" things.
Yeah, gotta experiment to find the sweet spot. Just wish it weren't such a process to do,LOL.
I just took the front diff and steering apart in my mojave exb last night, talk about a chore, damn! That front bumper and body mount...🤔

don't know how I duped amazon into get me this price, but I ordered up some duratrax buggy wheels and tires for bashing! Not expecting much from these, but for $30 bucks shipped, I am okay to experiment!
20221005_151031.jpg

don't know how I duped amazon into get me this price, but I ordered up some duratrax buggy wheels and tires for bashing! Not expecting much from these, but for $30 bucks shipped, I am okay to experiment!
View attachment 248129
Hell yeah!! I'm sure they're meh, but for the money, why not. Keep em off the blacktop for sure. I bet they're decent in loose terrain. Good score!!

Am I that hard on RCs that even my teknos have issues? Heard some clicking coming from the rear diff when I was driving. Looks like the set screw for the center drive cup in the rear back out so the drive gear wasnt held in place correctly. Luckily the screw didnt fly off. Now I'm opening everything and inspecting for damage...
20221008_173309.jpg
20221008_201743.jpg

Am I that hard on RCs that even my teknos have issues? Heard some clicking coming from the rear diff when I was driving. Looks like the set screw for the center drive cup in the rear back out so the drive gear wasnt held in place correctly. Luckily the screw didnt fly off. Now I'm opening everything and inspecting for damage...
View attachment 248914View attachment 248915
That stinks! Hopefully all good still. I had trouble getting the pinion on my Xmaxx to stay put..knock on wood, it's been on for quite a while now.

Duratrax tires arrived today. Did a little more body trimming and feeling confident enough to sit the body a notch or two lower. Overall width with the "buggy" wheels/tires is now at 12 inches front and rear.

@KnowAir I'm definitely seeing what you mean about not running these tires on asphalt. This compound would get grated like soft cheese on pavement or concrete!

Gonna take the opportunity of tomorrow off to go finally test the SCT410 off road! :cool:
20221009_141128.jpg
20221009_141059.jpg
20221009_140133.jpg

Duratrax tires arrived today. Did a little more body trimming and feeling confident enough to sit the body a notch or two lower. Overall width with the "buggy" wheels/tires is now at 12 inches front and rear.

@KnowAir I'm definitely seeing what you mean about not running these tires on asphalt. This compound would get grated like soft cheese on pavement or concrete!

Gonna take the opportunity of tomorrow off to go finally test the SCT410 off road! :cool:
View attachment 249107View attachment 249108View attachment 249109
I bet they work well in soft terrain though. Really can't beat em for the price? I have poked fun at the Duratrax tires, but what can one expect for the price? I just picked up another set of the Badger truggy tires for my mt410. They work quite well on clay,blacktop, ect. The downside is the low profile, fine on lighter weight rigs such as the mt410, but not so much on a kraton or mojave.
I have run the Jconcepts choppers a few times on the sct now, very nice for loose terrain, feel about the same on my clay track as the duratrax shotguns.
I feel like the biggest issue with oem and duratrax tires are the foams, just too soft.
I love the backflip LP's, but the foams in mine are seemingly gone..tread is still great though. Really wish Arrma and duratrax sold the tires unmouted so we could put higher quality foams in them.
Doh!!
I guess it pays to Discover!?
Backflips LP's w/o wheels..

Screenshot_20221010-153806_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
@KnowAir They do work well! Put several pack thru it today.

1) forgot how much crap these SCTs collect.
2) I'm thinking the steel spur will be an upgrade in the future. Was getting alot of little stones and gravel in the tray under the center diff, it's only a matter of time.
3) duratrax speedtread triggers cab handle 4s nicely! Recommended, especially for 30 bucks! The added bonus of them being buggy tires is that they are built to handle the bigger power. Though I certainly wouldn't trust these with 6s.
4) it even runs well on my 5500mah 3s packs for bashing, no power is felt missing.
5) this thing handles so well! My current servo is a little slow, which can make it wander a bit during lots of quick turning, but the faster servo should eventually get here (from china) and sort that out.
6) no complaints about body rubbing here, seems to be pretty good.
7) pretty sure I thermaled the ESC at one point. Fan died on the esc (stock plastic one), and I didn't realized until the truck stopped dead in its tracks. I have a replacement rocket fan (those usually have enough torque to mow down small grass and such), but I may do the mesh cover on the ESC. Motor was probably 120?

Didn't get many pictures, but it handled well and even survived a couple of nasty crashes!
20221010_152605.jpg
Screenshot_20221010-214929_Gallery.jpg

To answer your question, 17mm hubs add a little over a 1/4 inch to either hub.
View attachment 246972

I would have liked to put the body down lower at least for a better "look". But yeah you're right if I want true street handling I'll probably have to change out springs and add some fuel tubing to the shock shafts. It's pretty squishy and set up for a track, not street bashing :LOL:

I'm off from work in a few and I'll report back with the run!
Yeah, you need zero offset wheels for them to tuck under the body properly. Those 53/107 Hoons would be the perfect size for street shredding, unfortunatley they are not Zero offset. I know what you mean. Tekno SCT's use zero offset wheels, much like TA and TLR do. Just in 12mm hex.
Nice rig. I am jealous.:giggle: Dam thing is a SCT tank.
Needing one of these Tekno's badly. Love my MT. Want something different now.

@KnowAir They do work well! Put several pack thru it today.

1) forgot how much crap these SCTs collect.
2) I'm thinking the steel spur will be an upgrade in the future. Was getting alot of little stones and gravel in the tray under the center diff, it's only a matter of time.
3) duratrax speedtread triggers cab handle 4s nicely! Recommended, especially for 30 bucks! The added bonus of them being buggy tires is that they are built to handle the bigger power. Though I certainly wouldn't trust these with 6s.
4) it even runs well on my 5500mah 3s packs for bashing, no power is felt missing.
5) this thing handles so well! My current servo is a little slow, which can make it wander a bit during lots of quick turning, but the faster servo should eventually get here (from china) and sort that out.
6) no complaints about body rubbing here, seems to be pretty good.
7) pretty sure I thermaled the ESC at one point. Fan died on the esc (stock plastic one), and I didn't realized until the truck stopped dead in its tracks. I have a replacement rocket fan (those usually have enough torque to mow down small grass and such), but I may do the mesh cover on the ESC. Motor was probably 120?

Didn't get many pictures, but it handled well and even survived a couple of nasty crashes!
View attachment 249481View attachment 249482
Awesome!! Glad to hear it ran so well! These sct's are somewhat of a tank too! I mean, with so much coverage from the body, they really take a beating quite well IMO. Short suspension arms help to minimize the damage too.
Every time I take mine out, it sounds like a garbage can tumbling around, LOL!! The body does amplify the noise, but I'm talking about all the tumbles it inevitably endures when I run it,HaHa. My body is cracking pretty good already..
I have a DS 3225 in mine, might be a tad slow, but so am I, so it's fine for me.
I guess you need my motor(2600kv) and I need yours(3200kv) since I'm content with 3s, you like 4s? Not trading though, sorry bud😁
Yup, scts are vacuum cleaners for sure!! I'm okay for now but come spring I'm gonna have to come up with some kinda shields.
I see Scorched rc makes inner fenders for the slash..unfortunately the Tekno is no where near popular enough to get such consideration as the slash. I'm gonna work on some ideas this off season and see what I can come up with. I'll let ya know if I can make anything worth sharing.

I'm somewhat fixated on the mojave now..trying to get it to handle more like the Tekno. I think it needs stiffer fluid in the shocks along with thhicker sway bars. I've already installed the heaviest springs Arrma offers, along with 60 weight fluid,still too soft for the track though. Thinking 80 weight should help. I swapped the cheesy Arrma sway bar pivots out for some high end Redcat ones I had laying around.. I'm joking about Redcat being high end of course, but honestly, compared to the crap plastic pivot balls Arrma is using, the Redcat ones are high end,LOL.

Yeah, you need zero offset wheels for them to tuck under the body properly. Those 53/107 Hoons would be the perfect size for street shredding, unfortunatley they are not Zero offset. I know what you mean. Tekno SCT's use zero offset wheels, much like TA and TLR do. Just in 12mm hex.
Nice rig. I am jealous.:giggle: Dam thing is a SCT tank.
Needing one of these Tekno's badly. Love my MT. Want something different now.
It was certainly hard to pass up at $260 for the kit off the Tower website!

Part of the draw for the SCT410 was that it was 4s capable out of the box. And really the only actual 1/10 scale that i could find that is 4s capable (not including those "1/10" scales like the Revo and such ;)). If you're into SCT's then this is the rig for you! I probably need to spend some time tuning it for my use case, but I have way too much fun just driving it to want to take it off line for tuning! And the stock configuration does OK for most cases. It's not set up best for street bashing though. Likely needs some thicker diff oils due to the higher traction if I wanted to set this up as a dedicated street basher.

Awesome!! Glad to hear it ran so well! These sct's are somewhat of a tank too! I mean, with so much coverage from the body, they really take a beating quite well IMO. Short suspension arms help to minimize the damage too.
Every time I take mine out, it sounds like a garbage can tumbling around, LOL!! The body does amplify the noise, but I'm talking about all the tumbles it inevitably endures when I run it,HaHa. My body is cracking pretty good already..
I have a DS 3225 in mine, might be a tad slow, but so am I, so it's fine for me.
I guess you need my motor(2600kv) and I need yours(3200kv) since I'm content with 3s, you like 4s? Not trading though, sorry bud😁
Yup, scts are vacuum cleaners for sure!! I'm okay for now but come spring I'm gonna have to come up with some kinda shields.
I see Scorched rc makes inner fenders for the slash..unfortunately the Tekno is no where near popular enough to get such consideration as the slash. I'm gonna work on some ideas this off season and see what I can come up with. I'll let ya know if I can make anything worth sharing.
LOL garbage can, yes that's exactly what it sounds like. I've contemplated gorilla/duct taping the whole underside of the body to stiffen it up so it doesn't give that "rattle" noise. But ah, i'll probably just get used to it. The garbage can doesn't really sound up too much until you take a tumble :LOL:
Yeah first thing i looked up was scorched to see if they had fenders. Shame that there isn't a direct bolt on for that, but maybe something is close enough to fit or at least slightly modify? I might try installing "fenders" on the body that drape down from above and tuck in front of the chassis. Maybe velcro it to the side of the chassis so it comes off easy... :unsure:

I get exactly what you mean about the mojave. Never driven one, but watching countless videos (Mojave would have been my next if it went on sale before i bought the SCT410) it definitely is set up with the soft suspension--gotta take after the desert truck racer legacy! You might be chasing that tekno plush ride on the mojave for forever... :ROFLMAO: I get what you mean about having the larger SCT. It seems like besides the Hobao, the Mojave is the really the only other choice unless you go 1/5 scale.

Surprisingly, i'm pretty pleased with the 3660 motor when bashing on dirt and such. I'll still work towards a 367X upgrade, but for now, no complaints and it was even running relatively cool.

It was certainly hard to pass up at $260 for the kit off the Tower website!

Part of the draw for the SCT410 was that it was 4s capable out of the box. And really the only actual 1/10 scale that i could find that is 4s capable (not including those "1/10" scales like the Revo and such ;)). If you're into SCT's then this is the rig for you! I probably need to spend some time tuning it for my use case, but I have way too much fun just driving it to want to take it off line for tuning! And the stock configuration does OK for most cases. It's not set up best for street bashing though. Likely needs some thicker diff oils due to the higher traction if I wanted to set this up as a dedicated street basher.

LOL garbage can, yes that's exactly what it sounds like. I've contemplated gorilla/duct taping the whole underside of the body to stiffen it up so it doesn't give that "rattle" noise. But ah, i'll probably just get used to it. The garbage can doesn't really sound up too much until you take a tumble :LOL:
Yeah first thing i looked up was scorched to see if they had fenders. Shame that there isn't a direct bolt on for that, but maybe something is close enough to fit or at least slightly modify? I might try installing "fenders" on the body that drape down from above and tuck in front of the chassis. Maybe velcro it to the side of the chassis so it comes off easy... :unsure:

I get exactly what you mean about the mojave. Never driven one, but watching countless videos (Mojave would have been my next if it went on sale before i bought the SCT410) it definitely is set up with the soft suspension--gotta take after the desert truck racer legacy! You might be chasing that tekno plush ride on the mojave for forever... :ROFLMAO: I get what you mean about having the larger SCT. It seems like besides the Hobao, the Mojave is the really the only other choice unless you go 1/5 scale.

Surprisingly, i'm pretty pleased with the 3660 motor when bashing on dirt and such. I'll still work towards a 367X upgrade, but for now, no complaints and it was even running relatively cool.
I put some foam body washers over the body posts, helps keep the rattling down. I think my wife bought them from amazonia? It was one of those hobbypark kits with body pins, washers, o rings n "stuff".. actually has come in handy. I've used the shock o rings as bump stops on my mojave shock shafts, body clips, who doesn't need those by the hundred,right? LOL. I think the 2600kv on 3s with 20t pinion is "just enough" for my track. Any bigger and I'd have to go 4s. I get full trigger for about a second before I have to hit the brakes. I lucked out there since I think 20t is likely the limit for the pinion size.
Yup.. @SrC nows the time to grab one while still on sale(I think?) You know what Tekno is about.. a cool option with the sct is to build a 1/8 ultra light buggy out of it if the sct gets boring.. IDK what the proper term is, I'll call it a 1/8 ultra liight buggy for now. But yeah, it's a blast of a rig for me. Can't believe I waited so long to buy one.. guess I knew the sale was coming? LOL.

Last edited:
1/8 Tekno buggy is actually heavier than most Race brand buggies.
But I am sure is way lighter than my TLRT.

I also considered modding Fenders mounted to the SCT body of my TA SCT.
My Mojave used to collect a pound of dirt or so before I installed the Scortched fenders.
Tekno makes Lexan pieces that sit flat onto the SCT side Plate bumpers. Supposedly to prevent parachuting. But these might also reduce much of the dirt ingress as well. You could make your own, perhaps longer and wider to prevent dirt kick up even better
Just an idea.

1/8 Tekno buggy is actually heavier than most Race brand buggies.
But I am sure is way lighter than my TLRT.

I also considered modding Fenders mounted to the SCT body of my TA SCT.
My Mojave used to collect a pound of dirt or so before I installed the Scortched fenders.
Tekno makes Lexan pieces that sit flat onto the SCT side Plate bumpers. Supposedly to prevent parachuting. But these might also reduce much of the dirt ingress as well. You could make your own, perhaps longer and wider to prevent dirt kick up even better
Just an idea.
This is what I was referring to..
https://www.teknorc.com/2013/09/09/...r-light-18th-buggy-conversion-for-the-sct410/

Yeah SCT's were originally based on 1/8 buggy platform and it's dimensions. Yet considered 1/10 and driven in 1/10 class.
This is a nice conversion kit. A great option.
I never saw this before.(y)

Yeah SCT's were originally based on 1/8 buggy platform and it's dimensions. Yet considered 1/10 and driven in 1/10 class.
This is a nice conversion kit. A great option.
I never saw this before.(y)
Apparently it wasn't very popular, it's been discontinued for some time.. I know for certain the hub adapters (17mm) are available, I would suspect most other pertinent parts still are as well. Just not the kit. It does sound interesting though.

The kit sounds like a good deal as bundled.
But it's gone.:(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back