Outcast Hello! đź‘‹ I have an Outcast 6s and am loving it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yazman

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Notorious
  3. Outcast 6s
Hey all. Long story short, I had a Traxxas Nicd back in the day, sold it long ago, now have kids and got the bug again! In the past week, my mid-life crisis has led me to buy:

1/18 ECX Rustler 4wd
1/10 ECX Stadium Truck 2wd
1/8 Outcast 6s 4wd

By far I am enjoying the Outcast the most! I got it used for $350 which included four 3s 5000mah Venom batteries, a Venom 3 Pro Charger, a ton of spare parts (motor, body, esc, etc), the Ruckus, and everything else needed to run. It's a little dirty and rusty, but seems to work well.

Even on 50% throttle the Outcast more than suits my needs. I wanted something I could lightly/moderately bash with the kids and not break, and this is perfect. It also has Tbone bumpers front and rear.

Are there any "preservation" mods I should do? I was thinking about TRB sealed bearings since I've been snow bashing. I also thought about one of those screen mesh/netting thingies that keep leaves and stuff out if the electronics. Overall, I want to reduce the chances of breaking stuff.

It was toed out in the front, so I adjusted that, but besides that I've just been driving it. I also made the mistake of fully charging all my batteries before I read that it's not good to store them like that. So now I've spent 2 days putting them in "storage mode" (which seems to take like 4hrs/battery?). My wife is terrified I'm gonna burn the house down, so I bought a lipo bag and am storing that inside an ammo can without the seal.

Anyways, just wanted to say "hi." I'm welcome to and suggestions/tips/opinions/warnings/stories, especially since I'm a noob.

1. Is storage mode supposed to take like 4hrs from fully charged? (It'll only let me discharge at 1A, and then it usually goes down to 0.4A by itself)

2. Are TRB bearings and mesh net thing worthwhile upgrades?

3. What should I check over in a "used" rig?

4. How do you deal with the constant fear of your house being immolated from lipos?

5. What would you do if you had my Outcast?

IMG_20220108_114844449_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220107_212723823.jpg

IMG_20220107_212709392.jpg

IMG_20220107_181156_01.jpg

IMG_20220108_114857813_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220108_114927801.jpg

IMG_20220108_114936855_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220108_114857813_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220108_114927801.jpg

IMG_20220108_114936855_HDR.jpg

Hi

Always nice with new people going into RC hobby.

1. Storage mode can take long time, depending on charger and batteries state, quality, age and use.
I think it tries to balance charge the lipo cells to 3.8 so yes it can take time, just do it after you come back from a run.

3. I would just run it until something brakes and fix it.

4. You can do many things, for example

A timer connected to the charger so it power off after a set amout of time.
Charge only 1 battery in a lipo bag
Have a fire alarm over the charging station
Charge on a table/floor surface with a fire blanket
Have big (fire resistant) gloves ready nearby the charger
If you store batteries in a ammo box drill some holes into it so its not a bomb in worst case.
don't charge or discharge batteries with to much amp if they cant handle it
Remember to storage charge lips not used every 6 month so they drop to much.
Store batteries in normal living temperature inside home.
Never leave youre house/apartment while charging batteries

Thanks for the response cazrack!

I appreciate all the safety tips! With the kids and wife I want to be as safe as possible.

What do you think about a dual fan/heatsink setup? I'm worried that going over grass and stuff slowly I'm going to overheat the motor

Overheat is heavily depended on how hard you push it and the most important, the outside temperature.
During with 20 Fahrenheit, -6,6 Celsius winter time if you snow bash on parking lots and such motor heat isnt normally a big issue.

I suggest you get a cheap infrared thermometer to monitor the temps, a heatzink with a fan on the motor is always a good idea.

Just ordered an arrma heatsink/fan combo that goes on Felony (I think) but I read should work. Also ordered the aluminum servo mount per the sticky. Should I check the fluids on this rig? Are shocks and diffs the only fluids?

Welcome to the forum! Definitely would be a good idea to check and change diff and shock fluids. Also just a thorough once over on all the screws and bearings etc. Make sure any screws going into metal you add a little loctite. Nice score for sure and again welcome!

Any recommendations of where to buy diff oil? I see cheap stuff on Alixpress, but I don't trust that. I want to treat this rig good! LHS or Amazon?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back