Typhon Help a brother out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be a buckled wheel. I'd swap the wheel out and see if the problem is still there. Failing that it could be the axle/stub has bent (circled in red)
Typhon front.JPG

And as bicketybam has pointed out, I think that diff needs to be inspected for damage, mesh and oil level.
Someone did mention in another forum but now I'm hearing bad tire mount. I'm going to tear into the front end tonight. How common is it to wreck the diff? I'm a little pissed because I see dudes launch this thing 100' and no worries. Didn't even run half a pack they it yet
Not too sure if those guys who launch cars 100' actually paid for the cars, or that the cars are stock. 100' also seems a bit of an exaggeration probably to build youtube subs/views.

Physics is a hard task master and regularly teaches lessons on mechanical sympathy... normally when one lacks it. I think the car can soak up hard driving, but when hard driving becomes abuse it is time to break out the credit card and tools to fix it.

I am hoping that your problem may be a simple as buckled or loose wheel. Just took another look and I think it is more a mounting issue of the tyre to the wheel. If it is a front wheel, swap to the back and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Look at the dogbone in the video on that side.. it does not spin on axis, rather a large oblong circle.. this will 100% stop the diff cup on that side, it will also make the tire wobble, especially being a cvd where its physically bound to the stub via the design..

So again, is the dogbone bent? We cannot see in the videos...

Look at the dogbone in the video on that side.. it does not spin on axis, rather a large oblong circle.. this will 100% stop the diff cup on that side, it will also make the tire wobble, especially being a cvd where its physically bound to the stub via the design..

So again, is the dogbone bent? We cannot see in the videos...
The left side? That's the side that spins more than the other. Honestly it doesn't mean that much to me. But given how easy it is to pull the diff out it probably makes sense to do that and open it up and have a look inside.

Hard to see from the video exactly what it is.. could be a number of things.

Check the tyre isnt full of crap and unbalanced..
Check the wheel for a crack near the hub thats causing it to spin off centre. I've had that before..
Check tyre is well mounted on the wheel..

If these are all clear you are going to start working you way inwards which will involve stripping it down for closer examination.

That would be my approach anyway..

The left side? That's the side that spins more than the other. Honestly it doesn't mean that much to me. But given how easy it is to pull the diff out it probably makes sense to do that and open it up and have a look inside.

No sir right side in the video.. the side that struggles.. watch what you can see of the bone as it rotates when it does.. if its bent toward the cvd section it will bind exceptionally..

It is easy to remove the diff, I agree.. but it's easier to spot a bent bone, if we could see it.. at this point we can barely talk him through what's wrong, let alone a diff tear down...

No sir right side in the video.. the side that struggles.. watch what you can see of the bone as it rotates when it does.. if its bent toward the cvd section it will bind exceptionally..

It is easy to remove the diff, I agree.. but it's easier to spot a bent bone, if we could see it.. at this point we can barely talk him through what's wrong, let alone a diff tear down...

It looks like both sides are bent. I really only noticed the left.

Hey Ed, would his diff cup being empty, like all the fluid leaked out, possibly make it that open? Wonder if that’s it?

Could be a buckled wheel. I'd swap the wheel out and see if the problem is still there. Failing that it could be the axle/stub has bent (circled in red)
View attachment 60124
And as bicketybam has pointed out, I think that diff needs to be inspected for damage, mesh and oil level.

Not too sure if those guys who launch cars 100' actually paid for the cars, or that the cars are stock. 100' also seems a bit of an exaggeration probably to build youtube subs/views.

Physics is a hard task master and regularly teaches lessons on mechanical sympathy... normally when one lacks it. I think the car can soak up hard driving, but when hard driving becomes abuse it is time to break out the credit card and tools to fix it.

I am hoping that your problem may be a simple as buckled or loose wheel. Just took another look and I think it is more a mounting issue of the tyre to the wheel. If it is a front wheel, swap to the back and see how it goes.

Well thanks to everyone who chimed in to help me out. I've come to the conclusion it's a bad wheel or tire mount. Contacting Horizon in hope's of getting them replaced. Again, thanks, yinz guys!

Well thanks to everyone who chimed in to help me out. I've come to the conclusion it's a bad wheel or tire mount. Contacting Horizon in hope's of getting them replaced. Again, thanks, yinz guys!

Well, if you swap the wheel to the other side the problem should follow it if it is that..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back