Help an RC Noob understand battery connectors for a Big Rock, please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatMarcus172

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Talion EXB
  3. Vorteks
Dear Experts, in an effort to lighten the pandemic gloom, Ive bought the kids a WL124019 and Im intending to get a latest gen BRRC. I have a friend with a Kraton 4S but am not ready to jump straight into that category. I understand the Big Rock requires batteries with an an IC5 or EC5 connector. Im guessing these are similar if it'll accept them both ?
Anyhow, 3S Lipo batteries terminated in this way seem few and far between on amazon (I have some vouchers I need to use up). So my question is, do I really need one with this kind of socket or is it quite safe to use a converter ? What would you reccomend ? Do please include links if thats allowed.

Ideally you want as few connectors as possible but you can use an adapter. Take a good look around, there are 3S packs with EC5 around in many sizes. Yes, for all intents and purposes (except "Smart" battery mumbo jumbo) IC5 and EC5 are interchangable. You can also replace connectors on packs with your desired type but that's another ballgame.

Simple adaptors work great. Most of my batteries are Dean's connectors so I use a simple adaptor like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TKBB2KS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_mFkbGb9F1G6S8

After I've had a truck for a while and have beat it up pretty good and worked out all the bugs and I'm pretty sure I won't have any warranty issues, I usually clip the wire and put a dean's head on it.

Ideally you want as few connectors as possible but you can use an adapter. Take a good look around, there are 3S packs with EC5 around in many sizes. Yes, for all intents and purposes (except "Smart" battery mumbo jumbo) IC5 and EC5 are interchangable. You can also replace connectors on packs with your desired type but that's another ballgame.
Thanks so much. They do seem reasonably available, just not on amazon in the UK. If I DO need to use a converter is converting from one type to EC5 preferable to any other? I read a post (I think on here) that converting from Deans/T-plug was the worst choice but clearly this hasnt proven the case for Rasburry and I don't understand why. Also, do any of you experts have preferred battery brands ? Are any of the budget brands any good ? gensacearespammers seem quite popular.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back