Typhon Help! Brand New Typhon 3s Not Working Out of the Box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekimox

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hello,

First time back in RC in 20 years. I used to race nitro on road back in the day. I just received a brand new Typhon 3s today, charged up a fresh lipo, installed it the car, followed the instructions to a tee and other than the steering the throttle won't work. The transmitter doesn't seem to want to bind. I've tried everything as per the instructions but it doesn't want to work.

Can anyone walk me through this?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

i think thats the stx2 which should be thrown away i would get a tactic one they came with the older models im sure someone on here can hook you up i know it is bummer that it needs replacing out of the box if you have an lhs go to them and them will help you decide to upgrade to a better brand or not

Hello,

First time back in RC in 20 years. I used to race nitro on road back in the day. I just received a brand new Typhon 3s today, charged up a fresh lipo, installed it the car, followed the instructions to a tee and other than the steering the throttle won't work. The transmitter doesn't seem to want to bind. I've tried everything as per the instructions but it doesn't want to work.

Can anyone walk me through this?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Are you on 100% at the throttle limiting switch on the rear top of the radio?

If you have the STX2 radio, you need to set the throttle limiter switch and dial D to 100% and dial B to 50% before calibrating the ESC. Once you have these three set properly, prop the truck up on a block, turn on the transmitter, then hold the set button next to the power switch on the ESC while sliding the power switch on. Once it turns on and beeps you can let go of the set button. Pull the throttle all the way and click the set button again. You should hear two beeps. Push the throttle in full reverse, then push the set button one last time. You should hear three beeps. Turn off the ESC power switch to save the calibration. Turn it back on and test your throttle response. Forward, brake, and then reverse. It should resolve your throttle issues. If not, repeat the steps again. If the second try doesn’t fix your issues, take a video if you can so we can see what’s going on.

If you have the STX2 radio, you need to set the throttle limiter switch and dial D to 100% and dial B to 50% before calibrating the ESC. Once you have these three set properly, prop the truck up on a block, turn on the transmitter, then hold the set button next to the power switch on the ESC while sliding the power switch on. Once it turns on and beeps you can let go of the set button. Pull the throttle all the way and click the set button again. You should hear two beeps. Push the throttle in full reverse, then push the set button one last time. You should hear three beeps. Turn off the ESC power switch to save the calibration. Turn it back on and test your throttle response. Forward, brake, and then reverse. It should resolve your throttle issues. If not, repeat the steps again. If the second try doesn’t fix your issues, take a video if you can so we can see what’s going on.

That's the issue. The first step with the ESC works with the first beep but then when the throttle is pulled for step 2 it doesn't beep twice and the red light keeps flashing. If I skip ahead and try reverse nothing happens either. The steering works but I have no throttle. All connections seem to be solid and stable and the lipo is fully charged as per my meter. Fresh batteries in the transmitter as well.

When you are referring to dial B and D which ones are you referring to? I have the remote set to the factory default.

I sincerely appreciate your help.

That's the issue. The first step with the ESC works with the first beep but then when the throttle is pulled for step 2 it doesn't beep twice and the red light keeps flashing. If I skip ahead and try reverse nothing happens either. The steering works but I have no throttle. All connections seem to be solid and stable and the lipo is fully charged as per my meter. Fresh batteries in the transmitter as well.

When you are referring to dial B and D which ones are you referring to? I have the remote set to the factory default.

I sincerely appreciate your help.
Here is a link to the manual:

STX2 manual

FFECD49C-EBFF-4FA3-A0E4-16E74C1DBFA8.jpeg

Have you checked the ESC plug at the receiver?

Here is a link to the manual:

STX2 manual

View attachment 49823

Have you checked the ESC plug at the receiver?

Thank you for the diagram explaining the transmitter settings. I checked and re-checked the ESC plug at the receiver along with all the others and everything looks and feels solid. I also went ahead and re-bound the transmitter and receiver just to be sure. It still does not work. When you go through the setup process it only beeps and goes green once and then after that you can't proceed to the next step. Steering is the only thing that works.

I either get a steady red flashing light or most recently the light went red and stayed red. Either way the buggy won't respond to any throttle inputs at any time.

I've tried to reset the ESC as per the instructions in the manual but it does nothing either. Just flashes red regardless of how long the ESC button is pushed.

This is incredibly frustrating after waiting so long to get back into RC. Not happy with my first Arrma.

This is incredibly frustrating after waiting so long to get back into RC. Not happy with my first Arrma.
Save yourself the frustration and sell it to me.

Thank you for the diagram explaining the transmitter settings. I checked and re-checked the ESC plug at the receiver along with all the others and everything looks and feels solid. I also went ahead and re-bound the transmitter and receiver just to be sure. It still does not work. When you go through the setup process it only beeps and goes green once and then after that you can't proceed to the next step. Steering is the only thing that works.

I either get a steady red flashing light or most recently the light went red and stayed red. Either way the buggy won't respond to any throttle inputs at any time.

I've tried to reset the ESC as per the instructions in the manual but it does nothing either. Just flashes red regardless of how long the ESC button is pushed.

How about motor leads? Is it possible one is disconnected? Pull them apart and look for bad cables/ends/etc.

If you have the STX2 radio, you need to set the throttle limiter switch and dial D to 100% and dial B to 50% before calibrating the ESC. Once you have these three set properly, prop the truck up on a block, turn on the transmitter, then hold the set button next to the power switch on the ESC while sliding the power switch on. Once it turns on and beeps you can let go of the set button. Pull the throttle all the way and click the set button again. You should hear two beeps. Push the throttle in full reverse, then push the set button one last time. You should hear three beeps. Turn off the ESC power switch to save the calibration. Turn it back on and test your throttle response. Forward, brake, and then reverse. It should resolve your throttle issues. If not, repeat the steps again. If the second try doesn’t fix your issues, take a video if you can so we can see what’s going

I think you missed a step, correct me if I'm wrong...

1) Hold esc settings button, turn on esc, wait for red flash and tone, let go of settings button

2) leave transmitter throttle in neutral position, press esc settings button once.. will flash green and tone one time

3) hold transmitter full forward throttle, press esc settings button once, will flash green and tone twice

4) hold transmitter full reverse throttle,
Press esc settings button once, will flash green and tone 3 times

Shut off esc.. turn on esc and it should function...

I beleive you missed step 2 dilly... which would be why he cant get it setup...

1) Hold esc settings button, turn on esc, wait for red flash and tone, let go of settings button

2) leave transmitter throttle in neutral position, press esc settings button once.. will flash green and tone one time

3) hold transmitter full forward throttle, press esc settings button once, will flash green and tone twice

Yeah I think you’re right ??‍♂️

Ya hes missing the neutral set position, that's why the set keeps failing... the above should get him going, and I think you hit the nail on the head with your explanation, just missed a step buddy, it happens..

Thanks for this but that's the exact process I've been doing since I got it out of the box. I get the single beep and green light with the transmitter in 'neutral' and then when I go for step 2 and go to full throttle and push the button nothing happens.

Any ideas? Is there a way to reset the ESC?

Ya hes missing the neutral set position, that's why the set keeps failing... the above should get him going, and I think you hit the nail on the head with your explanation, just missed a step buddy, it happens..
Does this mean he's going to get it to work and fall in love with Arrma all over again?

I sure hope so. I've been like a little kid on Christmas waiting to get this thing going. It'll get resolved one way or the other and I know I'll be happy eventually.
Leo from Kill Mode has a decent video. See if you’re missing a step.

I sure hope so. I've been like a little kid on Christmas waiting to get this thing going. It'll get resolved one way or the other and I know I'll be happy eventually.

I'd say shoot us a video showing us your transmitter settings and then the ESC calibration process you're going through. I guess it's possible the ESC plug is not plugged into channel 2 on the receiver, I think that would give the same symptom, so check that in the receiver box.

BTW, you have steering working, right?

Leo from Kill Mode has a decent video. See if you’re missing a step.

Thanks. I'll have a look at the video when I finish work. Much appreciated.
I'd say shoot us a video showing us your transmitter settings and then the ESC calibration process you're going through. I guess it's possible the ESC plug is not plugged into channel 2 on the receiver, I think that would give the same symptom, so check that in the receiver box.

BTW, you have steering working, right?

I'll try and get a video up this evening if I/we can't get this resolved.

Steering is working fine. Checked the receiver box and made sure everything was connected correctly.
maybe the stx2 is already broken LOL
Do you have any spare radio with a receiver?

This is my first new RC in 8 years so I unfortunately don't have another TX and receiver lying around. Unfortunately there are no hobby shops within 2 hours of me either.

Last edited:
I just watched the ESC programming video (which is very helpful - thanks) and that's the exact way I've been trying to do it from the very start. It will not beep with the throttle pulled in forward or reverse. Neutral single beep only and after that, nothing.

How do you reset the ESC?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back