Help finding wheels and tires for Senton 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerbob951

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. 4x4-Mega
I've been looking for suitable road-oriented wheels to swap onto my new Senton 4x4 to preserve the stock tires, since most of my lunchtime bash sessions will be on pavement. I'm very new to rc trucks so I'm still learning, and it seems that finding suitable wheels that won't skew the gearing too badly may be difficult. Also, these wheels use a 14mm hex, which seems like a very odd size.

Here's the stock wheel and tire specs:
  • Black nylon wheels, 14mm hex hub
  • 2.2" (56mm) outer bead, 3.0" (76mm) inner bead
  • dBoots Fortress multi-surface tires with foam inserts
  • 1.7" (42mm) wide, 4.1" (104mm) diameter
How hard would it be to swap to a more standard hex hub each time I switch wheels? Also, goes without saying but I'd prefer a wheel option on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Wow. I wonder why Arrma decided to go with 14mm hexes on this? I thought finding 17mm short course wheels was difficult for my Senton BLX. I can't find anything for 14mm short course wheels. I'll keep looking though and let you know if I find anything but it would probably be the best if you could switch the hex out to 12mm. That would greatly open your options for short course wheels.

14mm is not real common, especialy for Short course.

I did fine these Traxxas "Slayer pro" SCT wheels, 14mm hex, no idea of the offset -
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxa...atin-chrome-black2-slayer-pro-tra5974/p182953

Then add any SC tire.
Maybe https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...slick-tires-2-m4-pro10113-03/p448141?v=439408
Or
https://www.amainhobbies.com/duratrax-bandito-sc-onroad-tire-c3-2-dtxc3798/p642441

Or - Option three and cheapest - buy another set of the stock tires, and just burn one down -
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGWZN&P=ML

Wow. I wonder why Arrma decided to go with 14mm hexes on this? I thought finding 17mm short course wheels was difficult for my Senton BLX. I can't find anything for 14mm short course wheels.

Yeah, no kidding. I get it that plastic 12mm hexes are pretty easy to strip for a MT and SCT, but aluminum replacements are cheap and common. Hopefully the axle size is something common, so aluminum 12mm hex from another brand will direct fit. If not, then this is a huge negative for this kit.

Last edited:
14mm is not real common, especialy for Short course.

I did fine these Traxxas "Slayer pro" SCT wheels, 14mm hex, no idea of the offset -
https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxa...atin-chrome-black2-slayer-pro-tra5974/p182953

Then add any SC tire.
Maybe https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...slick-tires-2-m4-pro10113-03/p448141?v=439408
Or
https://www.amainhobbies.com/duratrax-bandito-sc-onroad-tire-c3-2-dtxc3798/p642441

Or - Option three and cheapest - buy another set of the stock tires, and just burn one down -
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGWZN&P=ML

Yeah, no kidding. I get it that plastic 12mm hexes are pretty easy to strip for a MT and SCT, but aluminum replacements are cheap and common. Hopefully the axle size is something common, so aluminum 12mm hex from another brand will direct fit. If not, then this is a huge negative for this kit.
I was thinking that they went away from the 12mm hexes because of stripping as well but I think it would have been better if they went to 17mm. Like you said though, 12mm aluminum hexes aren't expensive and eliminate the stripping issue for the most part.

Thanks everyone for the assistance. Yeah, finding anything 14mm is extremely difficult, I think I'll go with what Jerry-rigged recommended and pick up a second set of stockers once these current tires are about half gone. In the meantime, I'll do some research on the axle diameter to see if other hub sizes will work.

Definitely let us know how it goes if you try this or another route. I'm sure there will be more people with the same question!

Will do, I enjoy blazing a trail! I think my LHS has the Traxxas SCT wheels mentioned above in stock, so I might go pay a visit with my calipers to get some measurements to compare to the stock wheels.

Just opened my son’s Arrma Granite 4x4 for x-mas and his uncle bought him some proline sand tires for the snow and that’s how I got to this thread because they won’t fit. Anyone figure out an easy fix for the odd size hub?

I think you need to get some 12mm hexes and use those to replace the stock 14mm ones that are on the car

Im planning to just buy and glue my own tires on some new stock wheels.... probably the cleanest solution.

Hello everyone, I have been checking and whats needed is a 12mm hex with 6mm diameter. I believe duratrax makes some but out of stock at this point. Tekno makes aluminum 12mm hexes labeled m6. 6 for 6mm I assume. A search on ebay for 12mm hex with 6mm diameter will find others unbranded. I tried plastic ones not knowing if they would fit. They do but I stripped one along with a duratrax 12mm wheel. Waiting on aluminum ones now. Traxxas makes 14mm 2.8 for nitro truck 2wd. Duratrax makes several 14mm hex tires now. Cheapest option is buy stock tires and buy spare 14mm hexes. I bought traxxas rustler talon tires with which work great but waiting on aluminum 12mm hexes before running after stripping duratrax 12 mm tire with plastic tekno hex adapter. Looking into 17mm hex adapters to run senton 6s tires which I hope will last the best. Have blown out 2 poorly glued stock tires so far but cheapest option is more stock tires . Love the truck but would rather have more low end torque than top speed but that is just my preference. 12mm tires not the best for sure for transferring torque. I would suggest the duratrax tires with 14mm hex as your best bet. Going to 12mm hex adapters just asking for failure IMO. This truck has some power and will break and strip rear 12 mm hex tires with heavy throttle use. Stay with 14mm or up

Traxxas 6773 rustler talon 2.8 tires work and look great. Great balance at full speed and no rubbing. Waiting on aluminum hexes because showing some rounding of plastix hexes. Also 12mm adapters require smaller axle pins. Still I think 14mm tires are best bet but have 6 of these tires so will definitely be running them but waiting again on aluminum hexes.

I've been looking for suitable road-oriented wheels to swap onto my new Senton 4x4 to preserve the stock tires, since most of my lunchtime bash sessions will be on pavement. I'm very new to rc trucks so I'm still learning, and it seems that finding suitable wheels that won't skew the gearing too badly may be difficult. Also, these wheels use a 14mm hex, which seems like a very odd size.

Here's the stock wheel and tire specs:
  • Black nylon wheels, 14mm hex hub
  • 2.2" (56mm) outer bead, 3.0" (76mm) inner bead
  • dBoots Fortress multi-surface tires with foam inserts
  • 1.7" (42mm) wide, 4.1" (104mm) diameter
How hard would it be to swap to a more standard hex hub each time I switch wheels? Also, goes without saying but I'd prefer a wheel option on the cheaper end of the spectrum.
Go to 12mm hex's. They give the biggest variety of tires and rims size. For rims on the senton you can use any 2.2 with a 3m offset rim. I run alot of clay tracks with my senton so I run clay rims with dbl pin tires.

Screenshot_20220217-065853_Chrome.jpg

. Looking into 17mm hex adapters to run senton 6s tires which I hope will last the best.
If you are stripping 14mm hex, then 17mm can be an advantage. If you are looking for wheel selection, not many companies make 17mm SCT wheels, and most of the 2.8MT 17mm are from Proline with their "Raid" wheels - which can be 14mm as easy as 17mm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back