Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Arrma RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Arrma-RC brand!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Help finding wheels and tires for Senton 4x4

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bikerbob951, Nov 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bikerbob951

bikerbob951 Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Senton, 4x4-Mega
    I've been looking for suitable road-oriented wheels to swap onto my new Senton 4x4 to preserve the stock tires, since most of my lunchtime bash sessions will be on pavement. I'm very new to rc trucks so I'm still learning, and it seems that finding suitable wheels that won't skew the gearing too badly may be difficult. Also, these wheels use a 14mm hex, which seems like a very odd size.

Here's the stock wheel and tire specs:
    • Black nylon wheels, 14mm hex hub
    • 2.2" (56mm) outer bead, 3.0" (76mm) inner bead
    • dBoots Fortress multi-surface tires with foam inserts
    • 1.7" (42mm) wide, 4.1" (104mm) diameter
    How hard would it be to swap to a more standard hex hub each time I switch wheels? Also, goes without saying but I'd prefer a wheel option on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Bmansdad likes this.
  2. chevys10zr2003

chevys10zr2003 Premium Member!
    Premium Member

Arrma RC's:
    Kraton, Senton, Typhon
    Wow. I wonder why Arrma decided to go with 14mm hexes on this? I thought finding 17mm short course wheels was difficult for my Senton BLX. I can't find anything for 14mm short course wheels. I'll keep looking though and let you know if I find anything but it would probably be the best if you could switch the hex out to 12mm. That would greatly open your options for short course wheels.

bikerbob951 likes this.
  3. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Premium Member!
    Premium Member Excellence Award

Arrma RC's:
    Kraton, Typhon, 4x4-Mega
    14mm is not real common, especialy for Short course.

I did fine these Traxxas "Slayer pro" SCT wheels, 14mm hex, no idea of the offset -
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxa...atin-chrome-black2-slayer-pro-tra5974/p182953

Then add any SC tire.
    Maybe https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...slick-tires-2-m4-pro10113-03/p448141?v=439408
    Or
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/duratrax-bandito-sc-onroad-tire-c3-2-dtxc3798/p642441

Or - Option three and cheapest - buy another set of the stock tires, and just burn one down -
    https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGWZN&P=ML

Yeah, no kidding. I get it that plastic 12mm hexes are pretty easy to strip for a MT and SCT, but aluminum replacements are cheap and common. Hopefully the axle size is something common, so aluminum 12mm hex from another brand will direct fit. If not, then this is a huge negative for this kit.

#3 Jerry-rigged, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    bikerbob951 and chevys10zr2003 like this.
  4. chevys10zr2003

Premium Member

Arrma RC's:
    Kraton, Senton, Typhon
    I was thinking that they went away from the 12mm hexes because of stripping as well but I think it would have been better if they went to 17mm. Like you said though, 12mm aluminum hexes aren't expensive and eliminate the stripping issue for the most part.

bikerbob951 likes this.
  5. bikerbob951

Arrma RC's:
    Senton, 4x4-Mega
    Thanks everyone for the assistance. Yeah, finding anything 14mm is extremely difficult, I think I'll go with what Jerry-rigged recommended and pick up a second set of stockers once these current tires are about half gone. In the meantime, I'll do some research on the axle diameter to see if other hub sizes will work.

chevys10zr2003 likes this.
  6. chevys10zr2003

Premium Member

Arrma RC's:
    Kraton, Senton, Typhon
  7. bikerbob951

Arrma RC's:
    Senton, 4x4-Mega
    Might be worth a try, I've got some high speed bits that small. Sounds like a winter project to me!

chevys10zr2003 likes this.
  8. chevys10zr2003

Premium Member

Arrma RC's:
    Kraton, Senton, Typhon
    Definitely let us know how it goes if you try this or another route. I'm sure there will be more people with the same question!

9. bikerbob951

Arrma RC's:
    Senton, 4x4-Mega
    Will do, I enjoy blazing a trail! I think my LHS has the Traxxas SCT wheels mentioned above in stock, so I might go pay a visit with my calipers to get some measurements to compare to the stock wheels.

10. deadair

deadair Active Member

Arrma RC's:
    Granite
    Just opened my son’s Arrma Granite 4x4 for x-mas and his uncle bought him some proline sand tires for the snow and that’s how I got to this thread because they won’t fit. Anyone figure out an easy fix for the odd size hub?

11. B0III

B0III Member

I think you need to get some 12mm hexes and use those to replace the stock 14mm ones that are on the car

12. Leyland

Leyland Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    4x4-Mega
    please report back on what you guys find and what works.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. senton mega 4x4 hex axle size

• Welcome to Arrma Forum

Arrma Forum is a Arrma RC fan site that was started to give Arrma RC enthusiasts a place to come together and discuss and share their experiences with the entire Arrma-RC product line, such as the Arrma Kraton, Arrma Talion, and Arrma Granite.

We welcome all Arrma RC enthusiasts, both new and old, racers and bashers that share a common goal - a willingness to help and learn.
  • Disclaimer