Help getting engine bearing out? Is it possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegunsmith

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
The bearing in my motor went bad and I decided I would try to change them myself, apparently a bad idea aha. While I was attempting to remove the bearing from the motor it completely fell apart and the bearing housing is all that's left. My question is does anyone know of a way to get this out? Maybe a special tool that could assist me? I've tried everything I could think of and have had no luck. I would appreciate any help I can get. Also if I can't find a way to get it out, the motor will be useless to me so I'll probably sell it. If you think you know how to get it out or if you need some parts from it, keep an eye on Ebay as this motor only has about 3 hours on it and if someone could figure out how to get the bearing out it would be a steal. I'd sell it for whatever someone would give me for it. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20190318_173231.jpg
    IMG_20190318_173231.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190318_173242.jpg
    IMG_20190318_173242.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 58
I put a small flathead in through the output hole and got underneath it and just pried really hard. The screwdriver was almost horizontal. It kind of deformed the case around the hole, but I beat it back in shape and it has been good.

Well I got the bearing out, not sure how the motor will work with the huge hole but I will give it a try. Ended up getting mad and just drilling it out, I was not going to let a bearing beat me.

Attachments

• IMG_20190318_194519.jpg
    IMG_20190318_194519.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 46
As long as the new bearing seats in its race on the other side, the bearing should keep the motor shaft where it should be. Dirt would be the problem now.

As long as the new bearing seats in its race on the other side, the bearing should keep the motor shaft where it should be. Dirt would be the problem now.
I was thinking of drilling a small washer with a small hole over the bigger hole, do you think that would work? I think it would help to keep a good amount of dirt/sand out if I seal it that way. i'll use short screws as to not drill into the engine. Let me know your thoughts. Also there is still a space for the bearing to sit and I think it will seat just fine.

I got the bolts that were stuck in grinded down and now they are completely flush, just ordered some sealed bearings from Jim. I will update this thread on how the motor works after everything I've done if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_20190319_161528.jpg
    IMG_20190319_161528.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 39
I used a small punch (1/16). Stuck it through the shaft hole and gently tapped on the bearing race where the balls would’ve rolled and popped it right out no damage to the end bell
69FD8807-17E4-40C4-BCD8-1202ED6CB4D1.jpeg

I used a small punch (1/16). Stuck it through the shaft hole and gently tapped on the bearing race where the balls would’ve rolled and popped it right out no damage to the end bellView attachment 34073
That would work on the pinion side of the motor. Any idea how to take the one out of the back of the can, without drilling a hole?

Can’t help with that one. Mine was still good so I didn’t replace it
Mine too, but the day might come. I think it was @slick2500 that drilled the hole in the back cover, but I was just wondering if anyone else had a different plan.

That would work on the pinion side of the motor. Any idea how to take the one out of the back of the can, without drilling a hole?
I can make a video of how I did mine without drilling, but it won't be till later this evening.

I used a small punch (1/16). Stuck it through the shaft hole and gently tapped on the bearing race where the balls would’ve rolled and popped it right out no damage to the end bell
Did the same, sans the "gentle", wouldn't budge. even after 48 hours of being submerged in WD40.

Dam you made that look easy. When you mentioned in an earlier post that you used the lip on the motor shaft, it didn't click right in. Thanks for the great video!

Dam you made that look easy. When you mentioned in an earlier post that you used the lip on the motor shaft, it didn't click right in. Thanks for the great video!
I had already replaced that bearing like 5-6 months ago. I do remember the old one being a little harder to get out. You couldn't really see in the video but I was also twisting it back and forth so I wasn't lifting in one spot.

Don't do this with a new bearing.................

On an unrelated note I need to pick up a 5x13x4mm hybrid ceramic motor bearing.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back