Help getting out a stripped grub screw from outdrive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigtim29

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
59705A89-F151-402A-9271-645BB246E342.jpeg
Before I owned mip hex drivers, I stripped out the grub screw in the out drive on my talion. Right now I have the hex head filled with epoxy with my mip driver into it. Waiting until morning for it to dry. If this does not help get the grub screw out, are their any other recommendations?

View attachment 114433Before I owned mip hex drivers, I stripped out the grub screw in the out drive on my talion. Right now I have the hex head filled with epoxy with my mip driver into it. Waiting until morning for it to dry. If this does not help get the grub screw out, are their any other recommendations?
flame thrower fire GIF
Ya need to heat it up and out she'll come

Maybe some heat. The locktite in there is giving you the trouble. As a last resort you could drill out the center of the screw and punch out the input shaft with a pin punch, holding the drive cup in a vise. you will need to remove the bulkhead from the car to do it though. You would just need a new drive cup.

drill a hole through the grub screw with a bit that drills through metal. after that, use a stripped screw remover bit (example in link) in reverse to remove the damaged screw. good luck ??
drill a hole through the grub screw with a bit that drills through metal. after that, use a stripped screw remover bit (example in link) in reverse to remove the damaged screw. good luck ??

Screenshot_20201217-003104_Chrome.jpg

Get a torx bit so it has more contact area or a square head bit and tap it in with a hammer so it bites nice and heat it real good, it will soon come out.

View attachment 114433Before I owned mip hex drivers, I stripped out the grub screw in the out drive on my talion. Right now I have the hex head filled with epoxy with my mip driver into it. Waiting until morning for it to dry. If this does not help get the grub screw out, are their any other recommendations?

Did you apply heat to the screw before epoxying? You really need heat to break down the red Loctite.

If that doesn’t work - then I’m with Jimbobjr’s idea of driving the input pinion out with a punch.

As others said, a torx bit works well.
Personally I'll go for the tightest fit, I'll go as far as to whack the bit into the stripped grub/screw to help seat it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hakko-60-Watt-Red-Soldering-Iron-503F-V12ED-P/204215957

60w soldering minium

i have both 40 and 60. 60w works best for these things.
Same at Pinions.
You need heat the red loctite before open.
Then mount it back with one drop new red loctite. let it dry over night
Minium 12h before you drive that car

Get a set of different torxes.
These are good hammer softly in when screws are stripped.
Remember buy brand new screw also to replace. Maybe two. good have one extra always ready if needed in future.
These are dirt cheap.

I got it out, epoxy didn’t work. I hammered in my 3mm ball tip mip driver until it fit and then heated it up with the stove.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back