*HELP* head of hex screwdriver broke off in grub screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deaf leopard

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I used blue thread lock on the grub screws for the front wheel assembly, but when I can to take it off again (I'm finally replacing the bearings) the rounded head of the hex screwdriver sheared off inside the grub screw. I can't get it out. Any suggestions?
IMG_0683.JPG

Try to score/scratch up the broken end of the allen wrench and the end that is stuck using a file end or similar (to key up the surface).

Then dab a small amount of superglue onto each end bit pressing together firmly until the glue has gone off. If you're lucky then the glue should hold and you'll be able to just pull the broken piece out (don't try twisting it or the glue will definitely give).

try resting another driver slightly smaller on the sheared off bit and give it a sharp whack with a screwdriver handle.. just try to shock it so the broken off portion relaxes in the grub hex.. you may then be able to pull it out with a magnet or fiddle it out with a dental pick.. the key first would be to relax it in the grub hex..

Try to score/scratch up the broken end of the allen wrench and the end that is stuck using a file end or similar (to key up the surface).

Then dab a small amount of superglue onto each end bit pressing together firmly until the glue has gone off. If you're lucky then the glue should hold and you'll be able to just pull the broken piece out (don't try twisting it or the glue will definitely give).

It is fairly loose in there. I started to try the superglue method, but the glue I have is quite liquid and it seemed to be seeping in behind the screwdriver head, so I worried that I'd actually end up gluing it in there instead.

I ended up taking route B, and used a hammer and nail to knock out the pin that the grub screw holds in place, and then I could replace the bearings. I then knocked the pin back in. Perhaps the screwdriver head will fall out while I drive it around? If not I'll try the superglue again

Any of you got advice for when the head of a hex bolt gets stripped so that it can't be undone?
Few things you could try.
Get a "star bit" that is slightly bigger than the rounded off head and hammer it in, ...then try undoing it with that in place.

If you can get in at the head you could cut a groove in the top (with a hacksaw or preferably a Dremel) from left to right and then use a flat blade screwdriver to undo it.

Fill the rounded off head with superglue or epoxy and glue in a smaller bolt or screw to undo when it's set.

If it is a "cap head" allen key bolt and you can get to the head you could try grabbing hold of it with mole grips or pliers and undoing it that way.

Note: With all of the above if the screw/bolt is likely to have been thread locked in place then you must apply heat to aid removal. My preferred method is with a soldering iron pressed against the head for a few minutes before attempting removal.

Buy a remover & extractor set ~ like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extractor-...ocphy=1007415&hvtargid=pla-562065654140&psc=1

Worst case scenario you'll have to drill the whole thing out and re-tap the hole to remove any left over screw metal. (y)

Just pound the hardened steel pin out then you can heat that thing up real good without melting anything. Pound the pin back in when you’re putting it back together drive it like that. The rim will hold the pin in place. Maybe after some bashing that’ll fall out.

That's why I don't use those swivel head wrenches anymore. Last time I did, the same thing happened. I used the super glue method like @GMballistic said. Worked a charm.
I rarely use a ball end hex driver. Great to have on hand for that rare situation. I stopped using them because I've been through that before. They all will break, even the MIP's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back