Help! I have layer lines!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

Very Active Member
Hospitality Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 3s
A1465390-3FE7-4F72-8406-0A5152C61666.jpeg

These two motor braces just came off the printer. They were in the same print and the left one has more layer lines than the right! I have an Ender 3 Pro and I have tuned it for my specific filament. Any idea why it’s doing this?

I honestly have no idea but first thing i would check or adjust might be temp. Good luck

Have you done a temp tower? I find on my printer 195 is too cold to flow. 208 and 75% fan is where my ender 3 v2 like the hatch box
I will do another temp tower, but the last one was the best at 195. I will try those settings tomorrow. For me, Hatchbox likes to print on the colder side, I have had some super nice Benchies printed out of Hatchbox at 195. I just don’t understand why it’s suddenly like this, I leveled the bed, and calibrated esteps.
Also, I was printing another wing for my Typhon (less downforce) and it was warping on the edge.

I will do another temp tower, but the last one was the best at 195. I will try those settings tomorrow. For me, Hatchbox likes to print on the colder side, I have had some super nice Benchies printed out of Hatchbox at 195. I just don’t understand why it’s suddenly like this, I leveled the bed, and calibrated esteps.
Also, I was printing another wing for my Typhon (less downforce) and it was warping on the edge.
Do me a solid and try to grab some pics in better lighting

Do me a solid and try to grab some pics in better lighting
I will have to do that tomorrow. I already put one on my cousin’s Granite (it’s a motor brace). The other one isn’t on yet, but I will take better photos! Also, the issue might be from the filament being old (about 6 months in open air). It’s almost out of filament, I have a brand new one that I will open and test.

I will have to do that tomorrow. I already put one on my cousin’s Granite (it’s a motor brace). The other one isn’t on yet, but I will take better photos! Also, the issue might be from the filament being old (about 6 months in open air). It’s almost out of filament, I have a brand new one that I will open and test.
Yes I would say that could definitely be an issue. That actually explains what I thought I saw. I was thinking I was seeing porosity in the layers and moisture in the film it would definitely cause that

Yes I would say that could definitely be an issue. That actually explains what I thought I saw. I was thinking I was seeing porosity in the layers and moisture in the film it would definitely cause that
I definitely need a way to dry my filament. Is it possible to use an oven to dry it? I also don’t have a vacuum sealer…

I definitely need a way to dry my filament. Is it possible to use an oven to dry it? I also don’t have a vacuum sealer…
Yes you can use a oven on is very low setting for a few hours 50 degrees Celsius or equivalent

Careful using an oven. As it cycles on and off, the temperature may temporarily get hot enough to melt your PLA. Then your spool is dead.

A food dehydrator or dedicated filament dryer is safer.

@pug

Give this a try-
1. Up your temperature to 218°
2. Slow your initial layer speed to 25mm/s, and ramp up 35mm/s for the remainder.

Let us know how that turns out.

@pug

Give this a try-
1. Up your temperature to 218°
2. Slow your initial layer speed to 25mm/s, and ramp up 35mm/s for the remainder.

Let us know how that turns out.
I’m actually printing something right now, 207c print temp, 60mm/s speed. It will be done pretty soon and I will show you the results.
A36E53DF-0B8D-4A86-B0BB-E95C8974A2B2.jpeg

I’m actually printing something right now, 207c print temp, 60mm/s speed. It will be done pretty soon and I will show you the results.View attachment 183306
Well by the first few layers it looks night and day difference. If you notice the print even has more of a shine to it. That is a good temp. One thing to keep in mind is that a temp tower is strictly for bridging. Where that temp may be good for bridging it may not be good for layer adhesion or the flow of the material. My temps will change depending on exactly the part I am trying to print. I personally like to print on the higher side of the temps spectrum and on some material even over the spectrum. All depends on what it is. But that looks clean so far👍

A21C4747-913F-4766-9E97-521F474D2304.jpeg

Here it is, it looks a little messed up but that was my fault, I forgot to enable supports in Cura. It will still work though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back