Help! I mixed up my pinions and which one is correct?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Fam needs help.

I did not mix up the pinion but I am confused as heck and need help?

>> Brand new Losi DB Pro
>> Will run on 3S only
>> Manual says to change the pinion if using 3S
>> Manual says it comes the gearing installed for 2S, 17T

ISSUE:
The tooth that I removed LOOKS SMALLER than the tooth (in the bag) that came optional for the 3S.

Pics
  • #1 on the left is the pinion I took off. It is the stock where the manual says is the 17T for 2S and needs to be removed. When I count the teeth is has 14, so its smaller to me.
  • #2 on the right is the pinion out the bag that is the 15T but is larger and has more teeth 15, 3S

I am confused as heck. I may not understand TEETH but seems to me in the Losi videos I watched the "smaller" tooth is for less heat should be #2, but #1 is smaller. What am I missing here?

IMG_20210330_171315.jpg

IMG_20210330_171202.jpg
IMG_20210330_171039.jpg

IMG_20210330_171347.jpg

UPDATE POST

Looking at CCxRC video..something is wrong in my package

His is 17T and the smaller is 15T...mine does not look anything like these...

15T #s on left

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 5.43.36 PM.png

Factory 17T, 2S

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 5.43.07 PM.png

Last edited:
17T for 2s sounds about right for 2s.
15T for 3s sounds about right for 3s.
You always gear UP when you Volt down, and gear DOWN when you Volt UP. Like the manual describes.
However giving you a 14T for 2s out the box is incorrect and doesn't jive with the manual at all. Call HH and ask them for a 17 if you want to run 2s.
That 14T pinion sounds wrong. At least from where I am sitting and reading this.
Perhaps TLR revised to a lower 14 gear for 3s???? Without updating the manual? IDK. What is their reasoning? Makes no sense. Contradicts the manual.🤷‍♂️
If out the box, the rig is setup for 2s and a supposed 17pinion installed, per the manual, why is there a 14T pinion installed for 2s use?
. Sounds like a factory flub to me. (a mistake?)
That is a confusing one to me. :unsure: 🤷‍♂️

I second @SrC

Looks like they screwed ya, (no pun intended) or they simply installed and included the wrong ones. Do you own any other MOD1 pinions and any other MOD .08 (32Pitch) pinions to check? The ones you have posted don't even look like they mesh properly (the 14-15 pic). I might have the stock pinions still in my pinion bin, if they don't rectify this for you I'll be more than happy to ship ya the right ones free.

Their manuals and the pinions supplied with these vehicles has been wrong since the first Tenacity's like 4 years ago. My Tenacity's pinion didn't match the manual at all, it's partly due to them switching things around randomly from batch to batch. Their diff gears are also haphazardly assembled, sometimes they have 2 gears, sometimes 4.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back