Kraton Help: K8S Castle XLX2 1100kv temps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10AC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Talion
I have a Kraton 8s EXB with the Castle XLX2 1100kv combo. Running 34 pinion and 39 spur. Whats a good safe operating temperature? And what temperature not to exceed?
Also i purchased the Powerhobby twister dual fan setup with mount that was recommended. When i mount that to the motor, do i need to power that with a seperate battery?

Thanks for your help.

Motor shouldn't go higher than 160F for good, safe conditions. Peak no higher than 170F or will need a new one soon.
ESC - doesn't matter, it has overheated protection. Below 200F is fine.
Lipo - below 130F, they will catch fire quickly once they cross ~150F, called thermal runaway and is somewhat unpredictable.

Motor shouldn't go higher than 160F for good, safe conditions. Peak no higher than 170F or will need a new one soon.
ESC - doesn't matter, it has overheated protection. Below 200F is fine.
Lipo - below 130F, they will catch fire quickly once they cross ~150F, called thermal runaway and is somewhat unpredictable.
Thanks!!

I have a Kraton 8s EXB with the Castle XLX2 1100kv combo. Running 34 pinion and 39 spur. Whats a good safe operating temperature? And what temperature not to exceed?
Also i purchased the Powerhobby twister dual fan setup with mount that was recommended. When i mount that to the motor, do i need to power that with a seperate battery?

Thanks for your help.
I did some mayor damage to my Castle ESC with very similar gearing. Keep an eye on your voltage too. Castle claims that gearing might be way too much for such a heavy truck. I'm probably going to change my spur gear back to stock and will lower my tooth count to 30T on my pinion. Long term, that gearing is not ideal from what I'm gathering. My bullets came unsoldered from my board on my XLX2 and Castle will not warranty that if they see big voltage spikes. Also keep an eye on your LVC settings and data logging. Lower your gearing. My advice from personal experience 👍

I did some mayor damage to my Castle ESC with very similar gearing. Keep an eye on your voltage too. Castle claims that gearing might be way too much for such a heavy truck. I'm probably going to change my spur gear back to stock and will lower my tooth count to 30T on my pinion. Long term, that gearing is not ideal from what I'm gathering. My bullets came unsoldered from my board on my XLX2 and Castle will not warranty that if they see big voltage spikes. Also keep an eye on your LVC settings and data logging. Lower your gearing. My advice from personal experience 👍
I did a test run on 34p, 39s. First run temps too high. I swapped in the 34p, 47s(stock) and temps good. And now installing the motor fan. We will see. Thanks

I did a test run on 34p, 39s. First run temps too high. I swapped in the 34p, 47s(stock) and temps good. And now installing the motor fan. We will see. Thanks
So you went with 34T pinion and 47T spur? I'm probably going to go 30/47 gearing and see what happens.

Outcast 8s 1050kv 33-39 spur. Two fans after a run on 130c smc 6900mah motor temp is 150. Fans broke some fins and now I’m up to 180. On a 80 degree day. Need to replace fans.

So you went with 34T pinion and 47T spur? I'm probably going to go 30/47 gearing and see what happens.
How did that gearing work for you, I'm soon getting ny xlx2 back from Castle (just stopped working about 2 weeks ago, no throttle response but the lights still worked in the esc) and I'm thinking of trying the same from 30/39 to see how 30/47 goes. Does the bigger 47t give more torque? I swapped the 39 in right off the bat.

How did that gearing work for you, I'm soon getting ny xlx2 back from Castle (just stopped working about 2 weeks ago, no throttle response but the lights still worked in the esc) and I'm thinking of trying the same from 30/39 to see how 30/47 goes. Does the bigger 47t give more torque? I swapped the 39 in right off the bat.
So far so good. Will be better once get my fans on. But without fans its running about 150-160ish degrees. The 39 spur was way too much topend for bashing around dirt etc. still fast as hell! Torque is perfect. Lots of torque.

I don't think that gearing is good for long term durability. Castle told me that it's very aggressive and that I had huge voltage spikes. They blamed my soldering job too. So between that, the auto lipo function not working properly on the XLX2 (I had to fix that manually because my voltage on at least one of my cells was way below 3V. That's never a good thing) the huge tires I'm using, the heat, crashes, a speed run here and there, my bullets came off my board on both my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S. One was running 30/39 and the other 35/47. I'm going to put the Max 5 against the XLX2 to see which lasts longer. They are both brand new. I'll probably go 30/47 gearing. All I need is around 47mph on grass for some good bashing. I was hitting 57MPH on grass, but at a cost. Sorry for the long rant. I'm going to gear down, and will let my friend solder the QS8 connectors on my batteries and XLX2 to get me out of the equation. The MAX 5 came soldered from the seller, so that's that. I've had a Max 5 on my X-Maxx for like two years of heavy bashing, crashes and what not with 25/35 gearing with just fan issues and power switch issues. So I trust HW more for bashing at this point. Right now, in my area it's 90F plus, so I wouldn't dare bash with that tall gearing. Even with huge fans, good batteries and good soldering jobs. It's just too much for the XLX2 long term. That's how I feel about running these 30lbs plus beasts around at over 50mph, but it might work for you. There are so many variables, that it's hard to find what works for you. Weather, style of driving, batteries, tire sizes, are just a few. Keep an eye on the logs. That should give you an idea if it's working for you. And I believe now that is on the app. I'll be doing that with the BT link. Sorry for the huge long reply!

I had something similar happen to my MMX8s a few days ago and it ended up being some type of bug that required me to clear the datalog. Soon as I cleared datalog the esc started working correctly again. Castle link said datalog was at 24% during all of it too.

I don't think that gearing is good for long term durability. Castle told me that it's very aggressive and that I had huge voltage spikes. They blamed my soldering job too. So between that, the auto lipo function not working properly on the XLX2 (I had to fix that manually because my voltage on at least one of my cells was way below 3V. That's never a good thing) the huge tires I'm using, the heat, crashes, a speed run here and there, my bullets came off my board on both my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S. One was running 30/39 and the other 35/47. I'm going to put the Max 5 against the XLX2 to see which lasts longer. They are both brand new. I'll probably go 30/47 gearing. All I need is around 47mph on grass for some good bashing. I was hitting 57MPH on grass, but at a cost. Sorry for the long rant. I'm going to gear down, and will let my friend solder the QS8 connectors on my batteries and XLX2 to get me out of the equation. The MAX 5 came soldered from the seller, so that's that. I've had a Max 5 on my X-Maxx for like two years of heavy bashing, crashes and what not with 25/35 gearing with just fan issues and power switch issues. So I trust HW more for bashing at this point. Right now, in my area it's 90F plus, so I wouldn't dare bash with that tall gearing. Even with huge fans, good batteries and good soldering jobs. It's just too much for the XLX2 long term. That's how I feel about running these 30lbs plus beasts around at over 50mph, but it might work for you. There are so many variables, that it's hard to find what works for you. Weather, style of driving, batteries, tire sizes, are just a few. Keep an eye on the logs. That should give you an idea if it's working for you. And I believe now that is on the app. I'll be doing that with the BT link. Sorry for the huge long reply!
Yeah I hear ya on that one, castle techs about poop a brick the first time I told them I was at 30/39 on the first replacement. Needless to say this time I told them I was running 30/47. The way I drive in big open areas and the street, I can hit my thermal cut off after a while even in the mild weather at 30/39 running hard. It surly will in the summer heat here in VA. I think we had talked before you were telling me about the bullets coming unsoldered, and sending it like 25ft in the air didn't help, lol.
Mine just stopped working, goosed it and it flipped over on its back at about 15mph and just stopped all throttle response for some reason, even though the lights were working correctly on the esc.
This was my second xlx2 (the first caught fire after 5 packs) after about 12 days they told me the replacement esc and my old motor was shipping out yesterday.
I have the Bluetooth link in it but haven't used any of the logging stuff, not sure if i can I thought it said feature coming soon maybe?
Anyways, I know the 39 spur is and animal far as top end goes just not familiar with the gearing so far for it, not sure if I wanna just go up to maybe a 43/44 tooth spur or maybe like a 27/28 tooth pinion to see if that helps. Assuming a bigger spur gives more torque to lift the front end during runs a bit better. Didn't know if ya had tried that 30/47 out yet. And I'm running the kraton 8s exb.

Yeah I hear ya on that one, castle techs about poop a brick the first time I told them I was at 30/39 on the first replacement. Needless to say this time I told them I was running 30/47. The way I drive in big open areas and the street, I can hit my thermal cut off after a while even in the mild weather at 30/39 running hard. It surly will in the summer heat here in VA. I think we had talked before you were telling me about the bullets coming unsoldered, and sending it like 25ft in the air didn't help, lol.
Mine just stopped working, goosed it and it flipped over on its back at about 15mph and just stopped all throttle response for some reason, even though the lights were working correctly on the esc.
This was my second xlx2 (the first caught fire after 5 packs) after about 12 days they told me the replacement esc and my old motor was shipping out yesterday.
I have the Bluetooth link in it but haven't used any of the logging stuff, not sure if i can I thought it said feature coming soon maybe?
Anyways, I know the 39 spur is and animal far as top end goes just not familiar with the gearing so far for it, not sure if I wanna just go up to maybe a 43/44 tooth spur or maybe like a 27/28 tooth pinion to see if that helps. Assuming a bigger spur gives more torque to lift the front end during runs a bit better. Didn't know if ya had tried that 30/47 out yet. And I'm running the kraton 8s exb.
Man I look at you guys talking about stuff like 30/47 and I can't help but think to myself "damn that sounds slow". Is expecting 60-70 mph too much? Anything below that just seems sluggish to me lol. Also, castle released an update like a week or so ago that finally enabled data logging through the phone app. (y)

Man I look at you guys talking about stuff like 30/47 and I can't help but think to myself "damn that sounds slow". Is expecting 60-70 mph too much? Anything below that just seems sluggish to me lol. Also, castle released an update like a week or so ago that finally enabled data logging through the phone app. (y)
Well you are sending a 30 lbs beast through off road terrain. At least for me, it hasn't worked too well. It might have something to do with my 26ft plus high jumps and bad landings. Don't know. All I know is that I want long term durability. I can't afford to be buying an ESC or motor all the time just because I want to go as fast as possible. 47mph for me personally is pretty fast for my kind of bashing. Maybe that new HW Max 4 can handle those speeds long term?? Don't know. But as far as the XLX2, it just doesn't hold up to those speeds long term. At least for me it didn't. But we all drive and bash differently. I'm starting to sound like a broken record. Anyways, I'm glad it sounds like it's working well for you (the XLX2 and tall gearing). I'm in the middle somewhere of success, since my issues happened months after. I have two brand new XLX2 with me now. I'll just take things slower and check logs, temp, LVC, etc. Not in a rush like before. That has lead to puffed batteries, and short term durability (at least for me). Maybe I do try the high gearing again, but will be checking the logs this time. I'll let you all know here. Hopefully my XLX2 doesn't catch on fire after turning it on for the first time like I've seen some do 😅🤣

Last edited:
Man I look at you guys talking about stuff like 30/47 and I can't help but think to myself "damn that sounds slow". Is expecting 60-70 mph too much? Anything below that just seems sluggish to me lol. Also, castle released an update like a week or so ago that finally enabled data logging through the it's r
It's running mid 60's as it is now, but I'm thinking more summertime daily driving to play around with, I'd like to not melt too many lipos in the next couple months. Looking for more grass and bash gearing for summer temps, instead of street run gearing. Nice, hadn't been used in a couple weeks since the xlx2 croaked again.

Well you are sending a 30 lbs beast through off road terrain. At least for me, it hasn't worked too well. It might have something to do with my 26ft plus high jumps and bad landings. Don't know. All I know is that I want long term durability. I can't afford to be buying an ESC or motor all the time just because I want to go as fast as possible. 47mph for me personally is pretty fast for my kind of bashing. Maybe that new HW Max 4 can handle those speeds long term?? Don't know. But as far as the XLX2, it just doesn't hold up to those speeds long term. At least for me it didn't. But we all drive and bash differently. I'm starting to sound like a broken record. Anyways, I'm glad it sounds like it's working well for you (the XLX2 and talk gearing). I'm in the middle somewhere of success, since my issues happened months after. I have two brand new XLX2 with me now. I'll just take things slower and check logs, temp, LVC, etc. Not in a rush like before. That has lead to puffed batteries, and short term durability (at least for me). Maybe I do try the high gearing again, but will be checking the logs this time. I'll let you all know here. Hopefully my XLX2 doesn't catch on fire after turning it on for the first time like I've seen some do 😅🤣
Yea man the fact it happened twice to you is the part that just kills me lol. Once and we can say "well maybe it was a freak accident?" but twice? between that and all the stories of fires it really is scary. Almost makes you think maybe the mmx8s is the better option :eek: :ROFLMAO::cry:

Yea man the fact it happened twice to you is the part that just kills me lol. Once and we can say "well maybe it was a freak accident?" but twice? between that and all the stories of fires it really is scary. Almost makes you think maybe the mmx8s is the better option :eek: :ROFLMAO::cry:
Not for these 30lbs beasts. It wouldn't last long. Maybe the toaster looking Max 4? From the few videos I've seen, the Max 4 is doing great, even in 41 lbs losi monsters doing 80 mph off road!

Check out the Max 4 on 12s a d they Raminator. 80lbs beast doing stuff like that

Thanks for your help.
My test yesterday should give you an idea about temps, gearing, etc :

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back