Kraton Help: K8S Esc and Motor upgrade Gearing info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10AC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Talion
I have a Kraton 8s EXB. Castle XLX2 esc 1100kv combo.
Whats a good gearing i should do to bash and some speed? Would like it to run at a good safe operating temp. Spur and pinion size please.
Also when installing, do i need a different motor mount? I have both motor mount plates the EXB came with. Thanks

The included motor mount plates work fine. If I had that combo I'd probably try 33-34t pinion and the included 39t spur. My motor is 1270kv and I run 31/39. I'm assuming you have fans.

The included motor mount plates work fine. If I had that combo I'd probably try 33-34t pinion and the included 39t spur. My motor is 1270kv and I run 31/39. I'm assuming you have fans.
I don't have motor fans yet. What do u suggest? Ill try the 33T pinion and included 39T spur. Thank you!

I don't have motor fans yet. What do u suggest? Ill try the 33T pinion and included 39T spur. Thank you!
I use something similar to this and 2 of these

Temps temps temps. Some guys can get away with higher gearing some can’t. I’m one of those people that can’t. Fans are a life saver

Temps temps temps. Some guys can get away with higher gearing some can’t. I’m one of those people that can’t. Fans are a life saver
Think ill do what Moirae mentioned. Ill get those fans and mount. Better to be safe than sorry. Thanks

What gearing was your sweet spot?
I have the castle xlx2 with 1100kv and use the 29/39. It does prety well but I run in short grass and baseball fields. Since I don't have a lot of dirt around me, I've been hesitant on gearing up...

I just installed 1100kv on my kraton with 31/47 gearing. Temps are good so far so can go more aggressive

I used the arrma limitless 29 for my pinion.
What brand and where did you buy the 31.
None of my local hobby shops said they can get anything that big.
I'm running 29/39 and feel it could be a bit faster 1100kv with XLX2 still will do standing backflips.
The highest temp I have reached has only been 154. With the standard castle 2 dual fan on the motor.
I have the kraton EXB and it came with the 39 spur.
I highly recommend it.
Though castle had to send me a new XLX2 Mine fried on the third run. I was using China hobbyline 4s 9500 with qs8. They both puffed up and still waiting for the second replacement.
Now I have been using SMC lipos with zero issues.

Last edited:
I used the arrma limitless 29 for my pinion.
What brand and where did you buy the 31.
None of my local hobby shops said they can get anything that big.
I'm running 29/39 and feel it could be a bit faster 1100kv with XLX2 still will do standing backflips.
The highest temp I have reached has only been 154. With the standard castle 2 dual fan on the motor.
I have the kraton EXB and it came with the 39 spur.
I highly recommend it.
Though castle had to send me a new XLX2 Mine fried on the third run. I was using China hobbyline 4s 9500 with qs8. They both puffed up and still waiting for the second replacement.
Now I have been using SMC lipos with zero issues.
https://surpasshobbyusa.net/mod-1-chromium-steel-8mm-bore/?sort=featured&page=2

Thanks, but for some reason it won't ship directly to my state?? Its a good start, I found Saga pinions also.

Thanks, but for some reason it won't ship directly to my state?? Its a good start, I found Saga pinions also.
Weird, Saga is great also though. Just a bit more expensive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back