Typhon Help! Mangled an ESC cable!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slemps

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hi all,

Just cleaning down after a bash with my Typhon 6S and noticed this tear in my ESC/battery cable. Think it might have hit the centre diff cup.

What can I do?? It’s taken a fair chunk out of it!
EA867424-E5D4-4A48-871B-477CD23604D5.jpeg

Hi all,

Just cleaning down after a bash with my Typhon 6S and noticed this tear in my ESC/battery cable. Think it might have hit the centre diff cup.

What can I do?? It’s taken a fair chunk out of it!View attachment 100091
If you feel a good chunk has been taken out then you can either cut the wire just beyond the damage so the esc side is clean. Strip and add a new length of wire OR the other option is dirty but will work. Strip a few mm of insulator off the conductor at either side of the damage and wrap a thin wire around the damage like a coil band aid. Solder it and cover with heat shrink if you want to take the battery connector off or self amalgamating tape if not.

Hi all,

What can I do?? It’s taken a fair chunk out of it!View attachment 100091
Cut it back to where you have complete and clean strands and then solder those two ends together. Slide a piece of shrink tubing down one side before soldering the sections together to cover the splice.

Had that happen on my Senton after if rubbed the drive shaft. I cleaned it up and put some liquid tape over top and let it dry,.. been fine so far after about 12 cycles.

You guys are amazing. Thanks.

Going to check my soldering kit and decide which approach to go for.

Can’t get over how powerful these things are. The pinion came loose too and did some impressive damage to the motor slide mount!

E6FF2B61-5E39-4A9A-A193-750181F71531.jpeg

You guys are amazing. Thanks.

Going to check my soldering kit and decide which approach to go for.

Can’t get over how powerful these things are. The pinion came loose too and did some impressive damage to the motor slide mount!

View attachment 100095
They’re certainly powerful enough to destroy themselves given half a chance.
Give the motor, pinion and grub screw a good clean and make sure to use thread lock on the grub screw. Tighten it with a good hex driver rather than an Allen key.

Nice one. I’ve done all that now. Still new at this so figuring out what I need to keep an eye on and how far it can be pushed.

Enjoying the maintenance almost as much as the driving so far. sure that might change though!

? damn Im a total hack when it comes to toys. Shoot when that happens to me all I’d do is strip back the insulation, put a glob of solder over it, and slide some heat shrink over it.

Hard to tell by the picture but probably not too bad and I'd cover it with tape. If you have a couple strands ( ~3-5max) separated I'd cut and replace.
Make sure all wires are somehow secured, wrap them under the battery strap or get some extra velcro. You don't want the wires flopping around while bashing.

Use loctite on ALL your metal to metal connection and get some good tools. Take those chinese knock-offs or tools that came with it and throw them far away or your next post will be on how to remove a stripped screw. Search the forum for tool recommendations.
Do NOT use loctite on anything screwing into plastic, it will make it brittle.

Keep enjoying that maintenance, you will get some practice :ROFLMAO:

Still running? I'd do less. Shrink wrap/electrical tape and run it!
Wouldn’t be surprised if it was still running! And your tactic is even better. But if I care about the ESC I hack it up a little less. If it’s some throwaway low end esc I agree shrinkwrap city.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back