Granite Help me choose a brushless motor size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, the 4000kv and higher motors are for racing, where you are 2s limited. For bashing, my .02 is to get the lower KV, then add volts to get more speed.

For the same end top speed, total power, with the same motor size, a 3s system will run cooler with longer battery life vs a 2s system.

Typically sensored systems aren't water proof. So if you're bashing in wet conditions there's that.

I am thinking of the same Hobbywing motor/ESC combo for my Senton Mega 4x4. The larger 60mm can vs the 52mm on the Castle is appealing to me for the potential of more torque... I'm actually deciding between the EZRUN 3660 4000kv and the XERUN 3660 3600kv. The XERUN is the sensored Hobbywing version and $20 more than the EZRUN. I'm thinking 4000 might be a bit faster, but I'd need to shy away from 3s... where 3600kv would do 3s fine. What are your thoughts? Some people seem to think that 3500-3600kv is the perfect place for these cars and that 4000kv won't necessarily be any faster on 2s...

I'm not positive on this but the EZRun is waterproof, and the XERun isn't. I have the 3660 4000kv, I love that setup. Plenty of power and at the top of the powerband too. I prefer this over the 3200kv. I wanted less torque to save my driveline components. With no real viable driveline upgrades available, this was helped me determine which motor to go with. I run mine on 3s all the time, no problems. I just put in my HR adjustable motor mount so I am starting to test out different pinions. I think 15T is ok, but think the 4000kv is better suited with a 13 or 14t pinion. Just put in a 14t, haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

Good to know you like it. As far as wsterproofability, the XERUN is likely just as waterproof for sensorless running, but since it is a sensored motor, it won't list itself as being waterproof since water would affect that functionality.

Good to know you like it. As far as wsterproofability, the XERUN is likely just as waterproof for sensorless running, but since it is a sensored motor, it won't list itself as being waterproof since water would affect that functionality.

As far as i know, sensored motor cans are just not sealed up like sensorless cans typically are. I don't think it's as related to sensor functionality.

Just wanted to pop in here and say, I just got a Granite Mega 4x4 couple weeks ago, ran it brushed on the stock pack once, then went brushless. I started with a 3650 3500kv Hobbystar setup, but this got hot a bit quick. I now have a Hobbywing esc, and 3660 2600kv, with a 17t pinion. I've only run it on my snow covered porch on 2s, but it drifts awesome now lol. I do have the BLX diffs and HD input gears on hand, but so far I haven't touched anything internal.

Also 1:1 cars, I used to have a 408hp b18 Civic lol
I'm more about solo than the quarter, but I enjoy it all

Dang I wasn't getting updated of all these posts via email for some reason. I guess i shouldn't be so surprised there are so many car people in here given the nature of this hobby. It sounds like you guys have had some pretty fun setups. I am currently in the process of building a hillclimb car with a full stitch welded chassis, cage, straight cut gear trans, built motor, etc. It'll be a few years from now before it sees the road but luckily i've got all the hard parts and expensive purchases out of the way.

Back to the topic at hand, I've spent the past several weeks contemplating whether or not I was willing to drop 260.00 on a castle mamba monster x and 2650 combo, on top of the 100 or so for a 3s blx slipper, diffs, and motor mount, and have finally come to the conclusion that i am not ready for that just yet. It seems more logical for me to go with a hobbywing equivilent or something cheaper in general and get the new cv axles coming out soon. So i guess that brings me back to asking for motor and esc recommendations. I believe this thread has brought me to the conclusion that I would like something in the 2200-3000kv range and I would still like a programmable esc capable of 4s.

I have seen several people recommending hobbywing esc/ebay motor combos and while i'm not that cheap, I am willing to at least look into it if enough people say its reliable. Overall it just seems stupid to me to put a 260 dollar motor/esc combo in when I can upgrade to a bulletproof drivetrain and still obtain similar performance with a cheaper esc/motor for the same price.

I originally thought I needed a sensored motor, because everyone says its better and for some reason I occasionally think I need whatever is best even when I don't, but i've noticed a lot of sensored motors are not waterproof. I NEED a waterproof setup as i like to take mine through any water or mud in sight when i have it out. So I guess I am willing to deal with the "cogging" everyone talks about at low speeds, if this is even a problem on a basher, in favor of water resistance.

Thank you all for the help so far.

Get the MAX10SCT esc and 3200kv 3660 motor. The mega motor is equal the the stock BLX 100 motor, but the ESC is better(and will run 4s). These trucks are too light for a 1/8 4s power system, they can't put the power to the ground. 3s is the sweet spot.

Hobbywing does make some cheap budget stuff, but the MAX line is good stuff.

Get the MAX10SCT esc and 3200kv 3660 motor. The mega motor is equal the the stock BLX 100 motor, but the ESC is better(and will run 4s). These trucks are too light for a 1/8 4s power system, they can't put the power to the ground. 3s is the sweet spot.

Hobbywing does make some cheap budget stuff, but the MAX line is good stuff.

So you feel like the blx100 is all the motor the car will ever need?

So you feel like the blx100 is all the motor the car will ever need?

Well, I tried the blx185 on 2s, 3s, and 4s. 2s was fine, but slow. 3s and 4s, the only difference was top speed. At low speed, it acted like a drift car even in grass- tires spin up so fast the truck cant even wheelie. Way too much torque for the chassis. I dropped to a 3660 size 3800kv motor, and the truck is WAY more fun. 2s or 3s now.

Maybe if I had heavier tires like the mx2.8, the bigger motor may have worked better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back