Outcast Help me choose a motor for my outcast 4s v2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
Im in the look for a motor swap for my outcast 4s v2. Planning on keeping it for now but the stock motor doesn't belong in it. Made fiery thread about it. So im looking around the 2200kv range with a 40xx range or 42xx size can. Im no expert so please educate me on the matter. Im planning to reuse my blx 120 esc and my 6.5mm bullet connectors. I have been looking on jennysrc and on amazon. I noticed hobbywing discontinued the 2200kv motor they once offered

Im in the look for a motor swap for my outcast 4s v2. Planning on keeping it for now but the stock motor doesn't belong in it. Made fiery thread about it. So im looking around the 2200kv range with a 40xx range or 42xx size can. Im no expert so please educate me on the matter. Im planning to reuse my blx 120 esc and my 6.5mm bullet connectors. I have been looking on jennysrc and on amazon. I noticed hobbywing discontinued the 2200kv motor they once offered
I have a rocket 4068 in my 4s vorteks and it rocks. I’ll probably put a rocket 4070-74 in old Yeller eventually. I made the mistake of buying a stock 4s motor off of Jenny’s when I first built it. Will a 42 can even fit? I remember putting the 40 can in the vorteks and thinking there’s no room for more.

Last edited:
FWIW, a 40mm can size just barely fits on my big rock, it's essentially resting on the bottom of the chassis. Maybe 1 mm of clearance. I wouldn't push it with a 42mm can. Also, if you run too small of pinion (i think 14t is the lowest I would go) the driveshaft can rub on the motor can (ask me how i know).

I think a 40mm size would be perfect. Then select the length you want and based on how much room you have. If you're going 4s only, i'd try to keep kv a little higher, around 2400 to 2800kv. Just my opinion.

I run the 1900kv Spektrum 4274 with a 150a esc in my OC V2, and I love it, stays cool as a cucumber and has power for days even on 4s

Last edited:
I bought one of the Spektrum 3668 4s motors from Jenny's to run on a 2wd Stampede. It had a good amount of power, but honestly didn't seem like I had made a huge upgrade from running 3s on the 3660 motor I had been running.

Upgraded to a Hobbystar 4068 2400kv and it is a HUGE power increase over the 3668 Spektrum. Both were run on a Hobbywing Max10 sct with the same batteries. Would be a great option.

I have a rocket 4068 in my 4s vorteks and it rocks. I’ll probably put a rocket 4070-74 in old Yeller eventually. I made the mistake of buying a stock 4s motor off of Jenny’s when I first built it. Will a 42 can even fit? I remember putting the 40 can in the vorteks and thinking there’s no room for more.
I thought i could. Dang
I run the 1900kv Spektrum 4274 with a 150a esc in my OC V2, and I love it, stays cool as a cucumber and has power for days even on 4s
The cheapest option is the 2050kv motor from spektrum
I bought one of the Spektrum 3668 4s motors from Jenny's to run on a 2wd Stampede. It had a good amount of power, but honestly didn't seem like I had made a huge upgrade from running 3s on the 3660 motor I had been running.

Upgraded to a Hobbystar 4068 2400kv and it is a HUGE power increase over the 3668 Spektrum. Both were run on a Hobbywing Max10 sct with the same batteries. Would be a great option.
Im more worried about temps. My rs v1 electronics always ran extremly hot to the point of melting solder.. and shrinking away heatshink. I never overpowered any rc. Always used stock electronics because they were good enough for me
FWIW, a 40mm can size just barely fits on my big rock, it's essentially resting on the bottom of the chassis. Maybe 1 mm of clearance. I wouldn't push it with a 42mm can. Also, if you run too small of pinion (i think 14t is the lowest I would go) the driveshaft can rub on the motor can (ask me how i know).

I think a 40mm size would be perfect. Then select the length you want and based on how much room you have. If you're going 4s only, i'd try to keep kv a little higher, around 2400 to 2800kv. Just my opinion.
How does KV work? My understanding is i need a bigger motor and a lower KV because of the weight similar to a 6s truck on the v2

Im more worried about temps. My rs v1 electronics always ran extremly hot to the point of melting solder.. and shrinking away heatshink. I never overpowered any rc. Always used stock electronics because they were good enough for me

I don't run a fan on my Stampede motor because it is in the rear and fans get clogged immediately everytime I've tried.

The 3668 was hitting 140+ after a single 4s battery pack. With the 4068 I can run 2 packs of 4s in a row with no break and be at around 110 degrees and that is even after gearing up 3 teeth on the pinion. Part of it is the motor is so powerful for the rig I rarely hit full throttle. I know the Outcast weighs more than my Stampede and can handle full throttle on a 4068 easier so its not a direct comparison but hopefully it helps.

I thought i could. Dang

The cheapest option is the 2050kv motor from spektrum

How does KV work? My understanding is i need a bigger motor and a lower KV because of the weight similar to a 6s truck on the v2
KV is all determined based on the voltage you want to run and the motors max RPM. If you want to run 4s, you'd better not choose something like a 3800kv motor unless you're running specialty high RPM motors. You can run kv on the low side, but you'll usually come across gearing issues if you go too small. And too low kv will also run into heat issues if you gear it too high.

If you're feeling cheap and don't mind waiting, you could pick this one up.
https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256804443332918.html

How does KV work?
KV is all determined based on the voltage you want to run and the motors max RPM. If you want to run 4s, you'd better not choose something like a 3800kv motor unless you're running specialty high RPM motors. You can run kv on the low side, but you'll usually come across gearing issues if you go too small. And too low kv will also run into heat issues if you gear it too high.

If you're feeling cheap and don't mind waiting, you could pick this one up.
https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256804443332918.html
So a lower kv like a 2200kv like i said would work but a longer can?
Running the 2050kv on a 15t would work is there a calculator for having the similar speed vs the original kv

Then run the 2050, it'll still run super cool on 4s... I only ran the 1900kv because I got a good deal on it and I like running finned cans so I don't have to use a heatsink

did you get the 2400kv one?

I went with the firma 2050kv From jennys, also ordered a few spares like arms. Saved aproximatly 200$ with all the spare parts retail combined

Sub’d…bought this too and while it feels like I upgraded my BRCC. I thought the difference would be a bit more noticeable.

I too am learning the ropes with motors/can size/kv, etc.

Happy with this one having saved some money? Or would you have rather gone with a bit higher kv?

Jenny’s is an awesome resource but if I am gonna put more money into my BR I’d like to get it right this time.
I went with the firma 2050kv From jennys, also ordered a few spares like arms. Saved aproximatly 200$ with all the spare parts retail combined

Happy with this one having saved some money? Or would you have rather gone with a bit higher kv?

Jenny’s is an awesome resource but if I am gonna put more money into my BR I’d like to get it right this time.
I would have went around the 2200kv 4074 cheapo. But i sqa they get quite hot like the 2400kv ones. I hesitated on the 2200kv hpi ones on jennys. But they are 30usd$ more. All my rcs are going to run 2050kv motors and my nero has a 2000kv and i have a bad 2050kv rotor and a bad press fitting on the front bearing on the blx one. If one fail i can Frankenstein one with rhe spektrum motors and front endcap. So its a win win everyway i see it. My main objective was to make the outcast 4s run a lot cooler and have more run time. My lipos kept getting over 60-70c everytime i ran it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back