Help me choose an airbrush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grihn

It's small, but it's fierce!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Felony
  3. Infraction
  4. Outcast 4s
  5. Senton 6s
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Vendetta
  8. Vorteks
  9. Voltage
I'm ready to make the move away from exclusively using Tamiya rattle cans and get an airbrush. I need some help choosing an airbrush. My questions are as follows:

1) Single or Double action - I'm leaning towards single action, because my understanding is single action is ultimately superior for achieving consistent results for full coverage paint jobs. Fine detail painting is not something I see myself doing anytime soon, as I just don't really have much interest in it. At most I'll be doing masking and painting multiple colors. That said, double-action seem to be far more popular and therefore the nicer airbrushes seem to commonly be double-action. How easy is it to achieve consistent coverage with a double-action brush?

2) Gravity feed or siphon feed - These seems to be largely based off of user preference. I've read generally gravity feeds require less pressure and therefore are better for fine detailing...again, not something I'm concerned with. I'm actually leaning more towards siphon feed as I like the idea of the larger capacity bottle and the possibility of mixing custom colors or thinner right in the bottle. I also like the idea that I can buy a handful of bottles and quickly switch between colors (after shooting thinner of course) if I'm painting several projects at the same time. Again, the majority of "good' brushes out there seem to be gravity feed, but I assume that's because so many people do detail work with them.

3) Specific Airbrush - I'm looking at the Paasche H series (specifically this one). Any experience with this, or any alternate recommendations? I'm definitely not set on the brand, but it seems to be what I'm looking for as far as features go. Price is not really an issue, but I don't want to pay for a bunch of features I won't use. I also don't see the sense in overpaying if there's a $20 airbrush that will do what I need, but I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy, so I'd rather spend more money up front if it's gonna save me a headache in the long run. I'm looking for something quality that will adequately spray RC bodies and 1/24 scale kits, solid colors only, probably won't do many metal flake jobs (and if I do they might just be out of rattle-cans). I'll primarily be using Proline and Tamiya paints, maybe some Spatz. I've got a good 3-gal compressor that will run @ 30psi consistently that I can dedicate to the airbrush.

Last edited:
Paasche +1 .
3 gallon compressor is perfect. Plenty enough. If the compressor kicks ON, allow it to build up between airbrushing. Best practice. You will probably run lower air pressure than 30 PSI. A Pressure Regulator, inline near the airbrush, is best. Paasche may have one built-in already. IDK for sure.
I would absolutely install a compressor Water Separator inline. Highly recommended. THD sells them.
Inherent Moisture from the compressor can pose a real problem with painting. Especially on very humid days.
Water can literally spit out of compressed air from the tank. That's why it is always important to always drain and store the compressor tank open, under no pressure. Moisture remaining will even rust out the inside of the compressor tank over time.
Been there.
:cool:

Last edited:
I do quite a bit of airbrush work and if I was to choose a single airbrush I’d recommend the Iwata eclipse

It’s my hands down favorite for all my detail work
I shoot my detail work with this airbrush

E054D7F7-F9E8-4551-A0C0-A61BCF595D8A.jpeg

8998993E-BAB4-4F80-B89F-96B33A4D0AA1.jpeg

0D23FE05-D4A5-4EEF-9EE5-11BBDF6852E6.jpeg

21B40BD7-2100-44DF-9125-468433C103AC.jpeg

1D864D83-FFCB-4401-9FBC-17B098C95268.jpeg

BDAA002D-0989-4F03-8361-6D4145000F2B.jpeg

16F634ED-8EF8-4375-B4CF-3FB26B471630.jpeg

C42BDDB9-5342-44F3-8E81-CABB2F9CACC4.jpeg

1E41F463-CC71-452F-AAA4-CC418D1FABE1.jpeg

0EE06ECD-7D05-4551-ACCF-57AACF2C2AAB.jpeg

3F96EF58-9880-4387-B24C-C8F4FEA52D5B.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back