Help me choose the right Combo for the Typhon TLR.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Napster

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I ordered the new Typhon TLR. What would be a good motor/esc combo? I am more of a basher, so low end torque is more important then top speed. Also looking for something that doesn't overheat easily. Right now I have been looking at a Max8 ESC with a EX Run Brushless 4274SL/2200kv.

If I were to get this "semi-race" buggy I'll probably try a sensored setup, but really it'll depend on your budget:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-xr8-plus-4274-g3-a-2250kv-combo-1335237

As you mentioned it's more for bashing, you could either go for the standard BLX185 or Firma 150A systems as they're usually cheap from breakers, or a MAX8 2200kv combo

IMO, a MAX6 combo is overkill for the Typhon. The idea should be to keep weight down. Going for a massive 4985 can could offset the balance

you can’t go wrong with a HW max8 and a 2200kv in a 1/8 buggy. Max6 is definitely too much for a 1/8 buggy. The Key here wether bashing or not is keeping it light weight as it will bash better, jump better and survive better. It is a 1/8 buggy race tuned after all. I think your 2200kv on 4S geared right you won’t be disappointed with that setup. a stock smart150 setup is good too on a budge. I have one laying around that I plan to throw in the Typhon TLR when I get it for the time being. I don’t plan to run mine on 6S.

I think some new guys would be better off with a v5 RTR Typhon. Buying a TLRT for the wrong reasons. Most want whats new. First of all. (Hype) Dialing the chassis maybe over complicated for some.. Not taking advantage.. The bling factor attracts. for sure. If you don't spend wisely on 4s electrics, sensored, etc., how much are really getting in return. A V5 Typhon could be a better choice. IF yo already have electrics/radio in your bin it is cost effective for TLRT.
99.9% will never race a TLRT or even get to track, but this is a track car. Set it up that way. I'm not saying it wont get bashed. Just drive it as an example of an Arrma Race Buggy. Full trim. Electrics and all.

Last edited:
I ordered the new Typhon TLR. What would be a good motor/esc combo? I am more of a basher, so low end torque is more important then top speed. Also looking for something that doesn't overheat easily. Right now I have been looking at a Max8 ESC with a EX Run Brushless 4274SL/2200kv.
Not sure the TLR is as good a basher as the stock T6 with all it's light weight goodies. Consider this before you over power it for bashing.

you can’t go wrong with a HW max8 and a 2200kv in a 1/8 buggy. Max6 is definitely too much for a 1/8 buggy. The Key here wether bashing or not is keeping it light weight as it will bash better, jump better and survive better. It is a 1/8 buggy race tuned after all. I think your 2200kv on 4S geared right you won’t be disappointed with that setup. a stock smart150 setup is good too on a budge. I have one laying around that I plan to throw in the Typhon TLR when I get it for the time being. I don’t plan to run mine on 6S.
What this guy said I plan on doing the same thing till I find a sensored that I like ands not arm and leg

I think some new guys would be better off with a v5 RTR Typhon. Buying a TLRT for the wrong reasons. Most want whats new. First of all. (Hype) Dialing the chassis maybe over complicated for some.. Not taking advantage.. The bling factor attracts. for sure. If you don't spend wisely on 4s electrics, sensored, etc., how much are really getting in return. A V5 Typhon could be a better choice. IF yo already have electrics/radio in your bin it is cost effective for TLRT.
99.9% will never race a TLRT or even get to track, but this is a track car. Set it up that way. I'm not saying it wont get bashed. Just drive it as an example of an Arrma Race Buggy. Full trim. Electrics and all.
I get what you are saying, I already have a Typhon V5 that has almost every upgrade on it. I want something new now that I have learned how to drive better. Probably will never see a real track for racing, but I still like to have my own fun.

I get what you are saying, I already have a Typhon V5 that has almost every upgrade on it. I want something new now that I have learned how to drive better. Probably will never see a real track for racing, but I still like to have my own fun.
Try a good 4S system and setup. I think you’ll be amazed how much better a dialed in 1/8 buggy will fly threw the air and rip then a heavy basher! My Tekno became my go to over my 6S for the reasons
What this guy said I plan on doing the same thing till I find a sensored that I like ands not arm and leg
Nice ya me too that’s my plan and I’ll budget out a sensoref system as money allows haha.

Try a good 4S system and setup. I think you’ll be amazed how much better a dialed in 1/8 buggy will fly threw the air and rip then a heavy basher! My Tekno became my go to over my 6S for the reasons

Nice ya me too that’s my plan and I’ll budget out a sensoref system as money allows haha.
Yea I like that hobbywing max8 system that guy posted a link to. But ya it's going close to Christmas kids birthday so like you said when money allows

I will throw my 2 cents in here and also vote MAX8/2200 combo to keep it light and nimble. MAX6 is a fine ESC for the bigger trucks, but is wasted here. A big can motor also isn’t needed. I would also highly suggest you stick with 4S packs as well, so don’t run a lower KV motor. Sure the setup could run 6S, but you’ll find it rips just fine on 4S and the weight savings will keep you from breaking things more often.

I change my vote to a 2200kv - 2400kv motor if you are going with 4s and believe that would be ideal if you are going for light nimble/handling.
For 6s a 2200kv tends to run on the hot side which is why I recommended the lower KV

Last edited:
Smart to keep it in perspective. Having a Typhon v5 already.
Despite never racing a TLRT Typhon, it would be nice to have a Race spec rig version of the Typhon. And that really needs a sensored Setup. Thats how they are dialed for the track. In real terms, No one is Racing Buggies without sensored motors. At any comp. level. If you never had a sensored motor setup before, it is very hard to understand this.
Bashers are rarely if ever run sensored by most guys. No reason to honestly. But there is an extreme differnce IMHO. Sensored can be dialed in precisely. The throttle is much more linear with most of the RPM range. The driving precision is second to none. You have to experience it. And the TLRT is not meant for big air bashing. Drive it in more of a technical fashion. On 4s. This may seem boring for the average big air basher.

Edited.

Last edited:
C4474A7D-1329-48C0-AE11-5D224E518267.jpeg
I am just a basher and run 1950kv 4060 Tp with the mmx8s esc, run it on 6s. It’s an animal. Temps stay cool enough, twin 40mm fans. Ordered a Tp4060 cm 2610kv today and see how violent we can make it.

View attachment 177358I am just a basher and run 1950kv 4060 Tp with the mmx8s esc, run it on 6s. It’s an animal. Temps stay cool enough, twin 40mm fans. Ordered a Tp4060 cm 2610kv today and see how violent we can make it.
What are those rear tires they are animals!

Oh, and another vote for the max8 2200kv combo, 20T pinion on 4S with fans and it should be perfect. Depending on what tires your gonna run. 🤔🤔

What are those rear tires they are animals!

Oh, and another vote for the max8 2200kv combo, 20T pinion on 4S with fans and it should be perfect. Depending on what tires your gonna run. 🤔🤔
They are the 2.8 sand paws from proline. Not the LP (low pro) model.

The ESC/Motor combo I would want for a TLRT would be the Castle Mamba X and 1512 1800kv. Sensored, Waterproof, Small light ESC, smaller motor, keeps with the theme of a light nimble racer. Will need an extra tooth or three compared to a 2000 or 2200kv, but it will get the job done.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...sored-motor-cse010-0155-06/p-qualt2kqtcqxactz
Sad this combo is now $300, a few months ago it was $250. :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back