Help me pick a cordless screwdriver!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been using the DCF680N2 for a while now and I like it. Once you get use turning it to control the speed,it's great.

Last edited:
I'd be a Milwaukee tools guy 100%

Yeah, when I started looking at Arrmas when getting back into RC, I kept hearing about how prolific they are with with thread locker, thought I better be prepared.
image.jpg

I can recommend the Wuerth AS4 cordless screwdriver!
It is perfect for wrenching on RC cars.
It has a Push&go function so you simply apply light pressure and it starts to turn. No need to push a button. (But it has one so you can use it as well.)
It also acts like a normal screwdriver and has a torque setting, so you can set this to low and simply "push the screws in and when it stops you just apply the last bit of twist by hand to keep the manual feeling of the torque you apply. Perfect for screwing into plastic threads...
When you undo screws which are locktited in and the Torque setting won´t get it, du don't even need to bother rising it, just give it a manual twist do "crack" it and then turn it out simply by apply some pressure.
It is fun wrenching with this thing, i love it!

https://eshop.wuerth.de/Cordless-sc...R/?CampaignName=SR001&VisibleSearchTerm=57013

2021-01-28 09_38_31-Buy Cordless screwdriver AS 4 (57013000) online _ WÜRTH.jpg

My informed insight in this is that when it comes to cordless tools, Dewalt and Milwaukee are the best choices. With a shout out to Rigid. With Dewalt, you get the option of the XR series. I wonder if they have cordless drivers included. Basically the regular model is for casual users while the XR is for trades people who are likely using it everyday.
Ryobi batteries and drill motors suck.
Once mighty Bosch no longer is.
Makita fell from grace before I started contracting. Vs

My informed insight in this is that when it comes to cordless tools, Dewalt and Milwaukee are the best choices. With a shout out to Rigid. With Dewalt, you get the option of the XR series. I wonder if they have cordless drivers included. Basically the regular model is for casual users while the XR is for trades people who are likely using it everyday.
Ryobi batteries and drill motors suck.
Once mighty Bosch no longer is.
Makita fell from grace before I started contracting. Vs

I agree with most of this. Although, I do have a newer Makita drill that I love. Not sure what's the best for contracting work, but for jobs around the house and occasional bigger weekend projects, I love my Makita. And, my dad has several Ryobi's he's used for years. It's not on the level of Makita, but it's pretty good for what most people will use them for... there's also the argument of whether expensive stuff is even worth buying if the risk of theft / work accidents is high. At least that's what my father in law contractor thinks.

But, I digress. For RC wrenching, I don't think brand is nearly as important. Typically, something with a clutch and lightweight is king. You don't want super strength or speed, as that leads to stripped screws and screw holes. And, because of that, most "better" brands will unfortunately be overkill, both in price and performance. I use an older but awesome Ryboi mini drill with a lithium battery and a clutch. It's incredible, but unfortunately no longer made.

I agree with most of this. Although, I do have a newer Makita drill that I love. Not sure what's the best for contracting work, but for jobs around the house and occasional bigger weekend projects, I love my Makita. And, my dad has several Ryobi's he's used for years. It's not on the level of Makita, but it's pretty good for what most people will use them for... there's also the argument of whether expensive stuff is even worth buying if the risk of theft / work accidents is high. At least that's what my father in law contractor thinks.

But, I digress. For RC wrenching, I don't think brand is nearly as important. Typically, something with a clutch and lightweight is king. You don't want super strength or speed, as that leads to stripped screws and screw holes. And, because of that, most "better" brands will unfortunately be overkill, both in price and performance. I use an older but awesome Ryboi mini drill with a lithium battery and a clutch. It's incredible, but unfortunately no longer made.
Very true. Both Dewalt and Milwaukee's impact drivers are overkill. But their drills have the best clutch settings. I install drywall with mine and it can be as good as a drywall gun. Not even break paper almost 99.9% of the time. But yeah, too big and bulky. But if either has a power screw driver with their respective clutches....Now we are talking. Those other brands? You are right. They are perfectly fine for most people who just need it when they need it occasionally. Someone like me could go through maybe 2 of them a year. Really comes down to the right tool for the right job. I also use a 12v rigid drill. This i use for light duty; electrical, plumbing, and basically anything my Dewalt would destroy. Its very small size has been extremely handy for tight spots too. I would almost recommend the rigid drill for rc purposes. But its clutch isn't consistent enough for plastic.

+1 for the Dewalt gyro screwdrivers. I've had one for 5 years now, and I use it all the time around the house. The clutch can be set much lighter than required for any small screws on my Granite.

I like milwaukee items but they are more expensive. DeWalt is fine. I like Ryobi for a budget brand.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back