Help me pick a crawler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outcastblxnut

Send it...bend it...mend it🤪
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 3s
Two choices vaterra k10 or axial honcho

Attachments

• 3BE6CFE8-8E2B-452A-8A49-988D61D2D752.png
    3BE6CFE8-8E2B-452A-8A49-988D61D2D752.png
    679.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 269D6A23-8BBA-4D5D-8AD2-5626B54AB51E.jpeg
    269D6A23-8BBA-4D5D-8AD2-5626B54AB51E.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 52
I woulnt go with either of those. The Honcho is better between the two imo. I would look at the Element Rc Sendero Enduro. Or a trx4 sport is legit and cheap. Lots of good deals out there right now. Hope you enjoy what ever you choose.

Send me that new redcat axe you got. ?
I woulnt go with either of those. The Honcho is better between the two imo. I would look at the Element Rc Sendero Enduro. Or a trx4 sport is legit and cheap. Lots of good deals out there right now. Hope you enjoy what ever you choose.
Send me that new redcat axe you just got?

I like the element not sold on body though.

yes the body is meh. The truck part is good tho. I build mine as the kit version so I have a nice setup. scx10ii chevy blazer is onsale right now. It has a nice body. I have one of those as well.

yes the body is meh. The truck part is good tho. I build mine as the kit version so I have a nice setup. scx10ii chevy blazer is onsale right now. It has a nice body. I have one of those as well.
Element with utility bed has caught my eye it’s in the mix now?
I like the honcho look

I have not drove the redcat yet. Weather has been bad. The axial is solid though. You can do a lot with it.
I was wondering if the new redcat was worth the extra money? I do like that blazer body

I was wondering if the new redcat was worth the extra money? I do like that blazer body

I will be doing a first drive video soon on my youtube channel. youtube.com/rcpropaganda if you want to check out some crawler stuff. Depending how it drives and holds up will detemine the vaule of the redcat. The radio, esc/motor, servo alone are worth over 300 so.

I’m rather fond of my Cross RC SG4B Demon. Also own a PG4L, but I wouldn’t consider it a crawler though.

I have a TRX-4 Sport( it was a give me from someone who didn't have a clue and got frustrated with RC) probably Traxass's best offerings. I am not a fan in general though Expensive to upgrade compared to an Axial. Axial set the industry standard for Crawlers.
I have an Axial Honcho .2 and Deadbolt .2.
The Axials are balanced well and the upgrade market is designed around them. Axial has a great warranty like Arrma. They are sister companies going back to Hobbico days when Dragonstar, China was the MFR. The TA Sendero is not well reviewed because the plastics are not high grade. You have to buy all of the better grade plastics separately. And I have not seen much upgrade stuff since its release. You are stuck with buying from Associated. I was BIG Associated guy years past and don't like them since Thunder Tiger bought Team associated. Discontinued parts etc. Buy TA if you want to race. That's it! I stopped buying TA. The best thing about the Sendero is the Transmission. And the tranx. makes it popular. Overdrive out the box. Many guys remove it and put in custom frame builds. TA sells many of the transmissions alone vs the whole RTR.
Redcat is not an option for me. I had bad experiences with the company. But some like them as a small company. Parts can be a problem as I learned with two of their rigs years past. The AXE Gen8 is over priced if you ask me. The Axe 2300kv system is a closed system and requires you to stay with that ESC/motor combo. It has a nice radio and servo. But you are paying up front for that. Their warranty is horrible. Real Crawler guys generally stay away from Redcat and the HW Axe system. It is a costly RTR. The body is beautiful but its just a shell in the end.
That Axe system is not well received by hardcore Crawlers. The ESC has poor hill climb and drag brakes. Its not that refined. Replacing the 2300kv motor is costly and usually on back order. Even the Axe 2700kv motor is hard to find. I like HW stuff, but the HW Axe system is not all that. Control feedback is poor in the Axe system even with the latest FW installed. Many others have stated same. But ExocageRC loves it though for some reason. Maybe he is sponsored by HW? His video of it did not impress me though.
Whatever you choose will be fun I am sure. Crawlers are great. Its all about that slow driving scale appearance. You can drive em anywhere, including your living room. :LOL:

The wife and I absolutely love the Redcats we have, the deadbolts are fun inside at the cabin or the lake but not much fun outside for us.
But then again I do enjoy my SCX10s alot.
Redcat in the end.

The wife and I absolutely love the Redcats we have, the deadbolts are fun inside at the cabin or the lake but not much fun outside for us.
But then again I do enjoy my SCX10s alot.
Redcat in the end.
I am curious what you think and how you compare the SCX10 to the Gen8. Do you have the First Gen 8 or the new Gen 8 Axe?:) Why do you feel the Redcat is better for the outside vs. the Axials? Axial is hardcore rock and trail!

I wanna know what’s the cons with the vaterra k10. I’m loving the look of that rig
The body is a beauty. The price is very good. That aside, the wheelbase is very long. Again from a hardcore Crawler perspective. And I don't comp my rigs. But I do set up comp courses with gates. The Vaterra has a poor departure angle. Same with the front. That combined with the long wheelbase and body make it hard to hold a line. It is a tad top heavy too. All can be tweaked up to a point. With Crawlers, it's all about the chassis design. But many are focused on the Body and looks. They are all fun in the end. Most don't comp their rigs. But there are several classes of Crawlers. I learned to be focused on class1 and 2 rigs. Class 1 being all about scale looks. Class 2 being more performance at steep angle lines and side hilling. I hope this makes some sense. Class 3 is another realm that's even more hardcore. You will find Dig units in the trans, rear steering, and wider track widths etc.:)

I've just bought a FTX Mauler for my youngest sons Christmas, It doesn't have an all steel case drivetrain etc of the preium crawlers but It seemed to be the best in its price range and surprisingly outperforms a stock Scx10 out of the box. (Probs due to larger stickier tyres )

The stock 9kg servo will be replaced, might stick an ADS15 in there if it fits.
Scx10 drivetrain parts fit so it it has a good upgrade path.

20191214_182835.jpg

Our first crawler.... Can someone tell me how these 3 speed transmissions work? Any do's/donts? (Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread a bit..)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back