Senton Help me upgrade my Senton 3S for sand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
I just got a Senton 3S, and I live on the beach, so I want to be able to run it there. First thing I picked up was a dusty motors cover (before running in sand). I have also switched to a DumboRC X6. Battery is a Lectron Pro 3S 5200Mah 50c.

When I run it in sand, my run times are short, and the motor is getting hot. I don't have a thermometer, but I can't leave my finger on it for more than a second. I think it shut down due to heat last time. The ESC was blinking slowly red, like it does at LVC. Is there a way to tell if it's heat or LVC by the lights?

From my research it seems like I need to gear down. I think I am going to order a 15T and 13T so I have both.

I am also considering bigger tires. I don't want to go too big, as I don't want too high of a center of gravity. I like scooting around fast. Any recommendations on inexpensive tires that are bigger, but not too huge? The pro-lines I see people use are a little pricey for me. I don't really want sand paddles, as I run in the lawn and on pavement occasionally.

I'm considering a jconcepts Bajr buggy body down the road as well.

Anything other advise or options I should consider?

Thanks AF!

Check out the Duratrax/Louise tires for a more budget friendly option. You’re going to have more heat buildup with that dusty motors cover. Get a motor fan as well. Sand is going to get into the power module too, so check out the @Camaroboy383 method of sealing the bottom with 3M tape. This will save your gears and help make the bearing last longer. Also consider heavily greasing any outward facing bearing to help seal out the sand.

Thanks! I will check out Duratrax/Louise . Is that the same tires, different branding?

I will check out a motor fan

I think I found the @Camaroboy383 post. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/blx-100-4-pole-bearing-failure-rate.15209/ It looks like the spur gear hangs below the housing in the back. Won't the tape rub against it?
If you’re in the USA they are branded Duratrax. Everywhere else they are branded Louise.

I haven’t tried the tape trick as I prefer not to run in loose sand. ??‍♂️

Attachments

• 20200104_013814.jpg
    20200104_013814.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 446
Thanks @Camaroboy383 , that makes sense.

So I went to try and seal my power module, and found the two bearings on either side of the slipper clutch assembly were completely locked. I bet that wasn't helping my run time or heat issues. I started pulling everything else apart and all the other bearings looked great. The power module must have ground sand in there and destroyed those bearings really fast. I still only have like 5 packs on this thing. So I ordered a rubber sealed bearing set from Jim's.

I was looking at motor fans. Will this one work?

https://www.hobbytown.com/yeah-racing-30x30x10mm-tornado-high-speed-fan-black-yea-ya-0180/p491060

It says "This fan is capable of use with a 2S LiPo (8.4V), but no higher." Is that applicable if you are running it off the receiver? Can I just plug this fan into one of the empty channels on my DumboRC X6 receiver? The cord looks long enough to plug directly in.

Thanks @Camaroboy383 , that makes sense.

So I went to try and seal my power module, and found the two bearings on either side of the slipper clutch assembly were completely locked. I bet that wasn't helping my run time or heat issues. I started pulling everything else apart and all the other bearings looked great. The power module must have ground sand in there and destroyed those bearings really fast. I still only have like 5 packs on this thing. So I ordered a rubber sealed bearing set from Jim's.

I was looking at motor fans. Will this one work?

https://www.hobbytown.com/yeah-racing-30x30x10mm-tornado-high-speed-fan-black-yea-ya-0180/p491060

It says "This fan is capable of use with a 2S LiPo (8.4V), but no higher." Is that applicable if you are running it off the receiver? Can I just plug this fan into one of the empty channels on my DumboRC X6 receiver? The cord looks long enough to plug directly in.
Yep any open channel on the receiver is fine.

I got my pinions and my motor fan delivered, still waiting on bearings. To seal the power module I put some plastic epoxy in the square hole to seal it. I put 2 layers of gorilla tape on the chassis, as I didn't have 2 sided tape on hand. I decided to do a test run with just the fixed bearings and sealed module first (no fan, 20T). I ran it 3 mins. It was getting hot already, so I shut it down. Here is what it looks like after 3 mins of beach run.

3.jpg

That won't help the cooling. I guess a SCT body just isn't going to work. It just deflects to much sand into the chassis. There was at least half a cup that got under the cover as well. When I opened up the power module, I was even less happy.

4.jpg

5.jpg

The little indent where the spur gear goes was full! All sorts of sand inside the module again. This was literally 3 mins of run time! The sand was fairly smooth, so mostly just gliding over it doing high speed runs, not throwing it everywhere.

Why didn't arrma just seal this module? It's 95% sealed already. I'm disappointed and wonder if I will ever get this to work on the beach with any reliability. I almost got a slash as I heard those have sealed power modules. I'm starting to wonder if the arrma was a mistake. I don't know if I will be able to get this power module sealed and keep enough sand out of the chassis for this to work.

I feel your pain :)

I can tell you that I’ve learnt how to seal it properly. It’s completely clean even after running in the dunes.

I use gorilla tape to seal the spur hole, and some shoe goo to seal the little slit list below the bearing on the motor mount

I feel your pain :)

I can tell you that I’ve learnt how to seal it properly. It’s completely clean even after running in the dunes.

I use gorilla tape to seal the spur hole, and some shoe goo to seal the little slit list below the bearing on the motor mount

So you use Gorilla tape? How many layers do you need for it to be thick enough? Are you putting tape on the module or the chassis? Do you have a pic of what you've done? Here is where I'm at. Two layers.

IMG_20200405_165200.jpg

@Camaroboy383 uses the 3M double sided tape on the bottom of the power module, leaving the red tape on the bottom side. This allows you to get a seal that slides in and out still.

So you use Gorilla tape? How many layers do you need for it to be thick enough? Are you putting tape on the module or the chassis? Do you have a pic of what you've done? Here is where I'm at. Two layers.

View attachment 73371

this is where you are failing to seal your module... the module sits down in that radius.. your just running your tape up to the edge..?.. the double sided tap is thick but compresses.. when applied the way i posted above it does work.. the square hole under the bearing is blocked off with the red module retainer.. that hole is not as important as the bottom of the module..

seeing what your running in, and the trouble your having you may as well cut a hole in the bottom so the spur is open and can drain the sand.. but i prefer sealed...?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200405-221112_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200405-221112_Samsung Internet.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 291
I would cut a hole in the bottom of the chassis right below the spur the sand will have a way out. You might say well it will just funnel more in, I don't think it will as much as you might think but then again I don't run in the sand. I did the chassis hole mod below the spur on my Senton and while stuff still gets in it's not as much as it did without it and I believe my plastic spur is lasting longer because of it. It might also be better to get a metal spur gear also.

Do you put the red tape on the module and then also use gorilla tape on the chassis, so the two together create a seal?
His system just placed the 3M tape on the bottom of the power module only.

I went out and got this:

IMG_20200408_180538.jpg

Hopefully this is the right kind. It has red backing tape like Camaroboy383's. It doesn't seem that thick though, and isn't really a foam. Is this the right stuff? Any idea how many layers?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back