Senton Help me upgrade my Senton 3S for sand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beach sand is a killer. Lots of maintenance needed to prevent rust and wear.

I imagine single sided foam tape would work as well. Going to try that as I'm scared the red plastic might work it's way off and then I'll have a stuck motor housing lol
I use single sided foam tape. The red plastic double sided tape uses very "goopy" adhesive. It ended up getting on my spur gear and created a horrible noise that was hard to diagnose. I finally realized there was adhesive on the spur. Cleaning out the teeth individually was not fun.

I use single sided foam tape. The red plastic double sided tape uses very "goopy" adhesive. It ended up getting on my spur gear and created a horrible noise that was hard to diagnose. I finally realized there was adhesive on the spur. Cleaning out the teeth individually was not fun.
That's also what I was worried about lol

I've gotten 5 good runs in, so I think the ESC is working. I decided it was time for the pivot ball and bearing swap, and check out how the seal did. It got a little of the sticky stuff from the tape in there, but no sand! I think I just didn't trim it as nice as I should have. No sand in there after 5 runs is great, so happy with that. This is how I'm going to trim it from now on. I line up the tape on the front side of the PM, then lay the extra over the rear. Then cut through the tape at the very edge of the plastic. I will run it a bunch more like this and report how it does.

View attachment 77017

I switched out all the bearings except the ones in the diffs. All bearings (stock shielded) looked fine. All I did to them previously was put a little marine grease on the outside to stop the sand from getting in. I thought some would at least be gritty, but no. It seems the ones in the power module really take a beating without the PM being sealed. They were literally getting locked in minutes.

I got a run in after adding the steering bearings, and HR pivot balls. I can't believe how much better it steers now! I thought it would help a bit, but it really is noticeable. Way more precise. It seems like the gyro works much better. Can't wait to get the 25KG servo and 124 servo saver I ordered.

I also cleaned up and topped off the shocks during the rebuild. Man, I should have done that sooner. They were all pretty low, and I don't think they were leaking. I always thought the shocks seemed weak., and I think they were low from the factory. You could drop it from a foot off the ground and it would easily bottom out. Now that I have them full they are way better. They don't bottom out so easily and you could see them doing a lot better over bumps.

Next up, I got a body and some MT tires on order. I also need to see if I can cut up a 2 liter bottle and put it under the dust cover so the sand doesn't "pool" on top of it. The motor is still getting pretty hot after a run, but not enough to trigger the thermal. Bigger tires may help (with appropriate gearing), as 1.8" wide tires really have to spin a lot to get it moving, and tend to dig into the sand.
That's pretty cool,I do mostly sand and grass I put proline trencher xc on mine man what a difference

Update. I've switched to the furry side of velcro tape. I find it slides easiest when putting the power module back in and still provides a good seal.

Update. I've switched to the furry side of velcro tape. I find it slides easiest when putting the power module back in and still provides a good seal.
Nice, have you noticed much making it past the fuzzy Velcro? Currently using the red double sticky tape here, cut around the hole, with one protective side left on. So far so good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back