Help me with gearing!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarsK9

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 6s
Wasn’t sure where to post so just putting it in general chaos. I’m building up my Kyosho Fazer as I plan my typhon build. I’m not as knowledgeable so need from help from some veteran rc guys. I’m gonna be running a castle sw4 5700kv on 3s. I know, I bit much for sub 4lb car but I want a crazy parking lot Basher. As of now I’m stuck with a 68 tooth spur (I haven’t found any others that work yet) and have a 32 and 37 pinion but I’m sure those are way to high. I know I’ll need to run and check temps to know for sure but I just need a general starting point.

I use bolo speed calculator; located in the video description. It as an ms excel sheet with built formula.

The Castle 5700kv motor is recommended as a 2S motor though. You will probably see high temps with whatever gearing you use. I’d probably use the 4600kv or possibly even lower kv motor if using a 3 cell pack.
I use the 4600 in a 2wd rustler and it cooks on 3S

On their page they put 2-3 for 1/10 on road cars under 4lbs for the 5700.

I wouldn't use 3s on that motor regardless of the gearing or vehicle weight.
You could probably do 3s for single speed pass and then wait 5 mins to cool down.

I was able to do 70+mph with a similar KV on 2s in a 4Tec 2.0

I wouldn't use 3s on that motor regardless of the gearing or vehicle weight.
You could probably do 3s for single speed pass and then wait 5 mins to cool down.

I was able to do 70+mph with a similar KV on 2s in a 4Tec 2.0
I’m still learning, have a lot left to learn but that’s what I’m looking for. Want excessive power and want to run 70%-wot for a whole pack without hitting thermal. Would you suggest the 4600 on 3s or the 5700 on 2s?

For how light that car is I think 5700kv on 2s is going to be best. (consider the 3s pack weighs a good bit more)
If you are set on 3s then Id go further down to something like 3500kv

With the 5700kv and assuming I found the correct differential tooth count online and tire diameter that should put you right around "real world" 50mph.
That car will be hard to control even at those speed I imagine.

fazer.JPG

It would still be a good idea to get a heatsink for the motor, then monitor temps. They sell cheap IR guns on Amazon.

-Liberty

Thanks, I think that’s about where I’d want it at. Everything looks right on there but can’t check till I get home. I’ll be getting a yeah racing heat sink fan combo. I really didn’t think about the extra weight of 3s vs 2s, and in a car that small I’m sure thatd affect it quite a bit. Thanks for your help

I definitely will. Slowly accumulating all the parts but I’m going to start a build thread once I’ve got everything in hand

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back