Help! My ender 3 Max Neo makes one big blob a little after printing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireDrake001

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon Mega
I have a new ender 3 max Neo. I have used it maybe twenty times since getting it. It keeps ruining my prints after a short while by doing this. Making a blob and making the rest become a mess. It only seems to do it in the same spot every time.

Ruined pikachu.jpg

Photo of your hotend/nozzle area or a short vid as it happens can tell a lot.

Also, some more info of your slicer settings for the object (what is it suppose to be?) being printed ,will help.

Take a screenshot of the slicer rendering of the area that you think is causing the problem.
(Is this one of your designs? Or what file is it so I can take a look..)

Last edited:
Photo of your hotend/nozzle area or a short vid as it happens can tell a lot.

Also, some more info of your slicer settings for the object (what is it suppose to be?) being printed ,will help.
I use Prusa Slicer. I have always used the same settings since the beginning and now it won't work. It is just one of Realities Bowden ones. I was 3d printing my sister a simple pikachu. It is not just this file going crazy. All my files seem to even ones who you used to work. Though I'm not sure it is the software.

Okay.
You're saying ANY file now will have this problem.. starting at around the same area (lay height) ,is that correct?

And what settings are you using in Prusa Slicer?

Okay.
You're saying ANY file now will have this problem.. starting at around the same area (lay height) ,is that correct?

And what settings are you using in Prusa Slicer?
The only file I got to get to work easily was a file also for my sister a Pokemon Mew. Then I made a simple piece(battery hold down) for my Traxxas Stampede and I had to change the z offset several points down to get that to print after two tries. The Pikachu file is almost exactly the same as the mew file and it will not work. The pikachu file would get a good way through then make a blob then make a stringy mess. They have problems at different layer heights. Though the pikachu and hold down are very different. In the same point not layer height in prints it seems to do this.

The only file I got to get to work easily was a file also for my sister a Pokemon Mew. Then I made a simple piece(battery hold down) for my Traxxas Stampede and I had to change the z offset several points down to get that to print after two tries. The Pikachu file is almost exactly the same as the mew file and it will not work. The pikachu file would get a good way through then make a blob then make a stringy mess. They have problems at different layer heights. Though the pikachu and hold down are very different. In the same point not layer height in prints it seems to do this.

Alright.
Got it.. 👾

Need those other photos and screenshots now 👁️ to be able to help diagnose.. 🧐

Mechanical issue.. check your rollers and for bind at that height.. something is stopping the gantry from lifting...

The gantry is stuck in the z direction and the head wipes out the print..👍 start looking..👍

As far as software and code.. the only thing that can cause that is a corrupt sd card..

So, making a blob sounds like one sort of problem (extruder, etc). But your picture shows what would often be called spaghetti.

Is your underlying problem that the part comes loose from the print bed, and then the rest is just spaghetti, because the printer is trying to print on air?

Is your first layer getting good squeeze? Like, are the adjacent lines filling in the gaps between them properly? Is your bed leveled, and the gap to the nozzle (controlling your first layer height) set correctly?

When was the last time you cleaned your bed? Buildup on the bed, fingerprints, etc, can cause poor adhesion. What filament material (PLA, etc), and what print bed surface? I usually use rubbing alcohol to clean my bed, but sometimes need to use hot water and Dawn dish soap to remove oils (presumably) which the rubbing alcohol (IPA) is not removing. Then I go over with alcohol again.

This really looks like a sd corruption.. load the files on a different card and try again..👍

Screenshot_20230225-124353-149.png

Since no other detailed info or pics are provided...

My wild guess would be your Z-axis screws are out of alignment by a couple of degrees / Not in sync with one another > causing binding at (or around) that particular height.

Very likely that initial result of the bind , leading to a collision of your nozzle** with your (any) prints and knocking it /loosening it from the build plate which leads to the spaghetti-ing...

That's my take on the matter.

Good luck.
Hope you get it fixed. 🤘

**Because the X gantry no longer can lift up the nozzle by the appropriate layer height.. Could be off by just a couple of fractions of mm.

Last edited:
Are you using octoprint or anything similar to it?
Sorry I have neglected my thread. I use the Purse Slicer for getting files online.
How did you prep your print surface? Was the main body still adhered to the surface or sliding around? I always got spaghetti like that with dirty print surface or not using painters tape
It eventually starts sliding around on the surface. I have used more adhesive to help resolve ay possible adhesion problems but it did not work.
This really looks like a sd corruption.. load the files on a different card and try again..👍

View attachment 281024
By the way, the blackish color I believe is some of the wire insulation from the times it get clumped up around the extruder.
So, making a blob sounds like one sort of problem (extruder, etc). But your picture shows what would often be called spaghetti.

Is your underlying problem that the part comes loose from the print bed, and then the rest is just spaghetti, because the printer is trying to print on air?

Is your first layer getting good squeeze? Like, are the adjacent lines filling in the gaps between them properly? Is your bed leveled, and the gap to the nozzle (controlling your first layer height) set correctly?

When was the last time you cleaned your bed? Buildup on the bed, fingerprints, etc, can cause poor adhesion. What filament material (PLA, etc), and what print bed surface? I usually use rubbing alcohol to clean my bed, but sometimes need to use hot water and Dawn dish soap to remove oils (presumably) which the rubbing alcohol (IPA) is not removing. Then I go over with alcohol again.
The first layer seems good, then about after what seems like 10 minutes to 1 hour it ruins the print. I have eliminated adhesion as the problem as I have put the stuff to make it sticky again for the glass bed. I clean the bed as in scraping it off not with a rag or anything. I use white and black PLA reality brand.

I have tried lots of varying z offsets from the -2.20 that worked perfect for the first many prints. That did not help it. I reset configuration and bed leveled it.

Last edited:
Sorry I have neglected my thread. I use the Purse Slicer for getting files online.

It eventually starts sliding around on the surface. I have used more adhesive to help resolve ay possible adhesion problems but it did not work.

By the way, the blackish color I believe is some of the wire insulation from the times it get clumped up around the extruder.

Black is the burned plastic.. it crust's up on the outside of everything... But, I wasn't pointing out the char, I was pointing out that the printer seems to be taking a dive (lowering z) at that layer height.. classic symptom of a corrupt file..

The problem is simply mechanical, or corrupted.. These are pretty much the only things that can cause these failures..

My suggestion would be to record the print and see exactly what happens, or be present to watch it happen... But the easiest is to load the file on a different sd..👍

Black is the burned plastic.. it crust's up on the outside of everything... But, I wasn't pointing out the char, I was pointing out that the printer seems to be taking a dive (lowering z) at that layer height.. classic symptom of a corrupt file..

The problem is simply mechanical, or corrupted.. These are pretty much the only things that can cause these failures..

My suggestion would be to record the print and see exactly what happens, or be present to watch it happen... But the easiest is to load the file on a different sd..👍
The sd card is new. the one that came on it. Would formatting the sd card and reloading it work maybe? How would a sd card get corrupted anyway?

The sd card is new. the one that came on it. Would formatting the sd card and reloading it work maybe? How would a sd card get corrupted anyway?
It happens more than you'd think and has happened to me personally. Formatting probably wouldn't help.

Do you have another SD card laying around somewhere? That's the first troubleshooting you should do.

It happens more than you'd think and has happened to me personally. Formatting probably wouldn't help.

Do you have another SD card laying around somewhere? That's the first troubleshooting you should do.
Just to try again. What ahesion stuff should i use? I used hairspray for a while. It could be adhesion. It prints funny and gets clumpy. That had worked for my friend for a while. I do not have an extra sd card. i do have the one in my camera though i could try.

Files on SD cards can get corrupted in a variety of ways..
Most common would be to taking out the card (accidentally) while it's still writing a particularly large file, it just need to be off by one 0 or 1 to be corrupted..

You can do a quick file check on it.
1. Just insert your SD card into the computer and look up what drive letter it is given. ex: F:\
2. Open a terminal on your computer and type in "chkdsk" (without the quotes) F:\ /f ,press Enter
3. If it finds anything wrong , it will attempt to repair it.

As mentioned above it can happen in a variety of ways, and is quite common . Especially with the cards that come from creality.. There have been brand new machine releases that shipped with bad cards right from the start over the years..

It's best to use a different card.. a decent one brand wise ... I would refrain from using the camera card as they are most likely formatted differently....

Another thing I've seen and had happen is if the card is small, and almost full, it can cause issues as well in the code..

I know a lot of people are leaning towards bed adhesion issues.. I personally would not be looking there for the sole fact you have no adhesion issues on the previous hundred or so layers.. 👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back