Felony Help on Drifting my Felony vs Infraction v1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I may be comparing apples to oranges but I need little advice on the drift action on the Felony in comparison to my Infraction v1...

Although I am new at the hobby, I have gotten tons better throttle with throttle control. So much so, I can point the Infraction v1 where I want it hit my cone turns & points and bring it back to where I want it. The Infraction v1 is running white Hoons and 60/100/30 f/c/r diffs. Speed runs are not my thing never will be. What I like about the Infraction as it is now, I can hook turns wide or shape at throttle and it forward pulls perfectly out the slide/drift and goes EXACTLY in the direction I point it in. It's not overturning in the slide and I have and can feel control.

Felony
It is stock like the Infraction v1 no changes to the Felony outside of matching the diffs to 60/100/30 and shimming the slop in the wheels/balanced tires etc...exact same as the Infraction. In the example above, when I hook the Felony in a wide or tight slide or drift the backend keeps sliding around. The back end will slide around in a slow turn at times. However on throttle if I tried what I explained above with the Infraction, the Felony will spin around or overspin coming out the drift. I do not have the control in the turns and spins with the Felony as I do with the Infraction v1.

What am I missing or doing wrong:

• Mind you I have only run it twice
  • Is it AVC... I have played with it tried to set it about where the Infraction is located and other adjustments
  • Is it diff... do I need to try a different setup to reduce the rear sliding...if so what
  • Tires maybe.... rear tires creating this spin-out or just the nature of the Felony
  • Something else I am missing all together

Any advice :)

You can use 500k in the center diff to take advantage of the front being slightly over driven... swap your f/r fluids as well.. 30k front 60k rear..

Avc gain right at the beginning of the colored scale on the tx.. or completely off..

I prefer off..?

Give that a try.. it makes a huge difference in how it drifts and pulls itself out..

You can use 500k in the center diff to take advantage of the front being slightly over driven... swap your f/r fluids as well.. 30k front 60k rear..

Avc gain right at the beginning of the colored scale on the tx.. or completely off..

I prefer off..?

Give that a try.. it makes a huge difference in how it drifts and pulls itself out..

Thx....will give that a try! On it

I prefer off..?

Sir...

I read your post here
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/no-shims-on-the-felony-diffs-hmmm.27238/post-385045

I plan to change up mine this weekend if I can get some center diff fluid....how you liking the 30f and 50r so far... as you know I'm looking for the forward pull in drift...curious how you like yours.

Sir...

I read your post here
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/no-shims-on-the-felony-diffs-hmmm.27238/post-385045

I plan to change up mine this weekend if I can get some center diff fluid....how you liking the 30f and 50r so far... as you know I'm looking for the forward pull in drift...curious how you like yours.

I havnt had a chance to get out and drift with it since the crash.. still trying to figure out what's up with the firmware.. seems more and more people are commenting in with the same issue..

The rear wider tires of the Fel. with slightly more mass and weight create a different driving experience compared to the V1 Infr. IMHO. I would change diff fluids out only one diff at a time and drive it. Focus on the front or rear first. Stock fluid was identical front and rear FWIW. So make one change at a time. This will guide you better. What may work for me may not work for you, how and where you drive and all. If you change up everything all at once, you wont know which diff. needs to be adjusted from that point. You will be chasing a ghost.:LOL: Also, AVC in this equation will conceal much of the natural push or understeer that results. I would turn down AVC until you have all else sorted out. Then dial in AVC if that's how you like to fly. Just my quick thoughts. :cool:

*Earl Moorhead had a cool video regarding his collection of V1,V2 and Felony. He Drifted all of them around 3 cones in an identical fashion, and they were unique in their drivability. AVC was a problem initially until he dialed it out some.

I havnt had a chance to get out and drift with it since the crash.. still trying to figure out what's up with the firmware.. seems more and more people are commenting in with the same issue..

@SrC Thx....will do

This video below is not in English but if you jump to 4min in to see the Felony on the track it speaks to what I am talking about as SrC said when I drive around cones and turns for my course....of course I can drive far better than this person but it does speak to that back end throwing around even on light turns as I mentioned. I did start on the diffs today so let me play with it.... I don’t have 500 fluid on hand anyway only 200, 100, 30, 10, 60....starting with the front on 30 to get more speed and forward spin.

The more i read up on the infraction the more i think the 1st version is better then v2 or felony.
I don't own an infraction v2 but I do the others and I am not a speed running. For me way they sold and advertised the Infraction v1 was for drifting. To me, it's a drift delight and when tuned right which I have feel control over the v1 that's just precision.

Maybe when more get the Felony it can get dialed more in for drift on best way do it so I'm still playing with setting, fluids, etc.

Just bringing this back up since a few more people have the Felony now, curious to know for drifting has anyone adjusted their diff fluids and what numbers they found they liked? I am still on fence with my setup to find the right fell for me.

I may be comparing apples to oranges but I need little advice on the drift action on the Felony in comparison to my Infraction v1...

Although I am new at the hobby, I have gotten tons better throttle with throttle control. So much so, I can point the Infraction v1 where I want it hit my cone turns & points and bring it back to where I want it. The Infraction v1 is running white Hoons and 60/100/30 f/c/r diffs. Speed runs are not my thing never will be. What I like about the Infraction as it is now, I can hook turns wide or shape at throttle and it forward pulls perfectly out the slide/drift and goes EXACTLY in the direction I point it in. It's not overturning in the slide and I have and can feel control.

Felony
It is stock like the Infraction v1 no changes to the Felony outside of matching the diffs to 60/100/30 and shimming the slop in the wheels/balanced tires etc...exact same as the Infraction. In the example above, when I hook the Felony in a wide or tight slide or drift the backend keeps sliding around. The back end will slide around in a slow turn at times. However on throttle if I tried what I explained above with the Infraction, the Felony will spin around or overspin coming out the drift. I do not have the control in the turns and spins with the Felony as I do with the Infraction v1.

What am I missing or doing wrong:

• Mind you I have only run it twice
  • Is it AVC... I have played with it tried to set it about where the Infraction is located and other adjustments
  • Is it diff... do I need to try a different setup to reduce the rear sliding...if so what
  • Tires maybe.... rear tires creating this spin-out or just the nature of the Felony
  • Something else I am missing all together

Any advice :)

The Felony is setup to spin very easily on purpose, but it’s way too easily in my opinion. Adjust camber of rear tires so they stay flat on the road, they come with too much negative camber and are riding on the inner sidewalls, not much rubber contacting the road.
Also lower the ride height front and rear, with rear slightly higher. The Felony comes from the factory sitting very high with a raised ride height, with no preload on the shocks, this creates a loose, “oversteer” feel. Lower ride height and add preload to firm up suspension, the car will handle and drift much more predictably, and be more stable

I don't own a felony or infraction and my limitless is setup for speedrunning. But I do have several 1/10 driftcars. Reading the description of how your felony behaves, I totally agree with Notoriousone. It's mostly camber/ride height/suspention. In addition i'd say experiment with the weight distribution by added weight in the front (pulls it straight easier) or back (more friction from the rear tyres). I used wheel balance weights in my 1/10's

The Felony is setup to spin very easily on purpose, but it’s way too easily in my opinion. Adjust camber of rear tires so they stay flat on the road, they come with too much negative camber and are riding on the inner sidewalls, not much rubber contacting the road.
Also lower the ride height front and rear, with rear slightly higher. The Felony comes from the factory sitting very high with a raised ride height, with no preload on the shocks, this creates a loose, “oversteer” feel. Lower ride height and add preload to firm up suspension, the car will handle and drift much more predictably, and be more stable

Wow these are great suggestions and I will get on those right away. Although new at this, I feel I can make all those adjustments one question. Will part of that lowering deal wit the drop or drup....screws know I am saying or spelling it wrong? I have never touched those yet.
I don't own a felony or infraction and my limitless is setup for speedrunning. But I do have several 1/10 driftcars. Reading the description of how your felony behaves, I totally agree with Notoriousone. It's mostly camber/ride height/suspention. In addition i'd say experiment with the weight distribution by added weight in the front (pulls it straight easier) or back (more friction from the rear tyres). I used wheel balance weights in my 1/10's

Thank you for the added info... really helps will do.

Wow these are great suggestions and I will get on those right away. Although new at this, I feel I can make all those adjustments one question. Will part of that lowering deal wit the drop or drup....screws know I am saying or spelling it wrong? I have never touched those yet.

Thank you for the added info... really helps will do.

Yes lowering the ride height does involve using the droop screws, a easy thing to do. I made a thread in the Mojave section called Mojave street basher, with my Mojave that I lowered for street bashing, Felony style.. where I explain in detail what droop screws do, and when used with shock preload is a very effective tool for setting chassis ride height

Yes lowering the ride height does involve using the droop screws, a easy thing to do. I made a thread in the Mojave section called Mojave street basher, with my Mojave that I lowered for street bashing, Felony style.. where I explain in detail what droop screws do, and when used with shock preload is a very effective tool for setting chassis ride height

Thx

Good info on that thread and watching the video now...question on your Felony do you have any rough measurements of where your droop from hubs, etc just to have some type of target to play from...just asking I know cant be exact? Thx Sir

No problem, I'll take some pics and measurements tomorrow when I get back and post them here

Here’s how mine is setup, the lowest part of the bumper in front is 10 mm above the ground, and the rear is about 20mm.. The rear shocks have about 8mm of thread showing above the adjuster, and the fronts have 5mm. I have adjusted camber of the rear tires to get them as flat as I can. I’m running on mostly smooth roads, if your running on rougher surfaces then you might want a higher chassis setup to avoid scraping, just depends on what your doing

AE665120-9E55-4E3F-848B-DAB28247BF40.jpeg

Here’s how mine is setup, the lowest part of the bumper in front is 10 mm above the ground, and the rear is about 20mm.. The rear shocks have about 8mm of thread showing above the adjuster, and the fronts have 5mm. I have adjusted camber of the rear tires to get them as flat as I can. I’m running on mostly smooth roads, if your running on rougher surfaces then you might want a higher chassis setup to avoid scraping, just depends on what your doing

View attachment 106473

Thank you this is a great guide....I'm like you I bash my Felony and Infraction at a location that's wide and has newer smooth asphalt and not bumpy yet when it gets old...

Thx....I will play with this this week...test, bash...test, bash ?

@Notoriousone and others...

Thx for the input....since I started this post I will add my conclusion

Infraction v1 - Wonderful RC. Although I was well balanced for drifting which is all I do and how I have my rig setup with fluid, shims, tire balance, camber, etc it drifts nice. Now adding the droop screws and suspension adjustments to the mix that took it over 100!

Felony - I just wanted one to be honest and it is a fun RC but NOTHING like the Infraction. I have my fluids where I want and the same as above with shims, balance, etc., etc. and this post adding the droop adjustment with suspension gave it some better handling for drifting...which again is all I do.

Conclusion - Felony will never be like the Infraction and in my mind, my goal was to get them to behave the same I thought they were outside the same changes by Arrma. I finally see the Felony just has a fat a$$ just will behave a different way of responding compared to the Infraction.... So ok, I am late to this knowledge :) So with the new mind set and with the Felony dialed in now, I am learning to drive/drift it in a different way and to stop comparing it to my Infraction.

INFRACTION (the way I have it) is well balanced, well centered, just all-around the best drifting RC I have ever had in its class. It is just made to drift and responds well in motion to where the Felony will not come close. I cannot speak to speed runs on either but drifting hands down for me, Infraction is on top.

Again, thanks to all of those tips I am on the right path now with the Felony on setup and the difference between the two so now I can learn to control the Felony as I bash more with it (y)

@Notoriousone and others...

Thx for the input....since I started this post I will add my conclusion

Infraction v1 - Wonderful RC. Although I was well balanced for drifting which is all I do and how I have my rig setup with fluid, shims, tire balance, camber, etc it drifts nice. Now adding the droop screws and suspension adjustments to the mix that took it over 100!

Felony - I just wanted one to be honest and it is a fun RC but NOTHING like the Infraction. I have my fluids where I want and the same as above with shims, balance, etc., etc. and this post adding the droop adjustment with suspension gave it some better handling for drifting...which again is all I do.

Conclusion - Felony will never be like the Infraction and in my mind, my goal was to get them to behave the same I thought they were outside the same changes by Arrma. I finally see the Felony just has a fat a$$ just will behave a different way of responding compared to the Infraction.... So ok, I am late to this knowledge :) So with the new mind set and with the Felony dialed in now, I am learning to drive/drift it in a different way and to stop comparing it to my Infraction.

INFRACTION (the way I have it) is well balanced, well centered, just all-around the best drifting RC I have ever had in its class. It is just made to drift and responds well in motion to where the Felony will not come close. I cannot speak to speed runs on either but drifting hands down for me, Infraction is on top.

Again, thanks to all of those tips I am on the right path now with the Felony on setup and the difference between the two so now I can learn to control the Felony as I bash more with it (y)
Lol yes the Felony has a fat ass.. I think one reason why it wants to get the back end out so easy is because of the size and weight of the rear tires, much heavier than the fronts

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back