Granite Help on purchase for 6-yrold to use on Grass, other obstacles, controlling speed and acceleration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So @FlipSide hit the nail on the coffin. I purchased a Traxxas Stampede 2wd vxl in May NC NC or my son to play with. I too had the same idea as you. Let's fast forward too today. I now have kraton 4s for myself and I purchased a big rock for my daughter(her first truck). I recently upgraded to a kraton 6s literally this week for myself. Back to my son, I thought purchasing something that topped out at 20-30mph would be fine along with controlling the amount of power he could use. Boy was I wrong... not only did he already out grow his rig (its what we call the rc cars and trucks instead of rc cars and trucks lol). He now is upset that his sister started off with a much better truck. Mainly because it is a 4x4 and he sees how much better her truck is compared to his. So we bought him a big rock for xmas too. A few things I have learned, things break... they break alot when your kid is new to the hobby. Broken parts are cheap for the most part to replace, $10-$20 avg. This hobby can become very addicting as you can see. I've spent close to $2500 just on rigs and batteries since June. Name brand replacement parts are your best friend. Try to stay away from eBay and Amazon brands for the most part. Most importantly ask questions, everyone on here has been very helpful. Now to answer your question I believe a big rock would be the best option. It is a little bit easier to control because of the long wheel base and it is a bad ass looking truck. GL bro!!!!

Cool! Sounds like you have a lot of fun family time ahead!

I mean if you aren't doing extreme crawling I think you should be ok.
What is the big difference between the V1 and V2. I did not know there was much of a difference. But I am a newbie
Axial crawler ...anything, I am partial to.
Horizon Hobby owns Axial and Arrma, so Arrma wont be making a Crawler. And Axial wont be making a Basher. They own both RC segment/ brands. Keeping them separate.
Thanks for informing me about that. It makes sense. If I knew that maybe I would have bought and Axial, but in my research the Gen8 performed better.
I bought my 5 year old at the time who is now 6 the bigrock. He has had it for about a year now and is still always asking to play with it. I did the BR over the granite due to the longer wheelbase. The longer wheelbase makes it not pull the front end up so fast. When learning at this age they always want to hammer the throttle down and if you do that with the granite it will just wheelie and flip. However for doing flips off of big jumps the granite has better response due to the shorter wheelbase. If you are sticking to yards and dirt trails my vote from experience with the age you are looking for would be the bigrock.
That is what I was leaning towards. I may still get one if my son takes to this to have a different kind of fun.

Again, this is, by far, the most responsive and helpful forum I have come across, and that is even considering that I did not go with an Arrma. I like Arrma people!

In unadulterated and impartial videos, the SCX10.3 outperforms the Gen8.
Perhaps having experience with a Crawler makes it more obvious. Not that the Gen 8 is any slouch. Probably RCats best RC rig, if they had one? The fun factor is there. It is clearly not in the same league. Steering geometry for the Gen 8 is not even close to the10.3. Its all about the chassis when it comes to Crawlers, and not about the wow factor of the body or electrics. But to some that equates to some value I guess? IMHO. RCat parts can be a bear sometimes to get in general. Tried their products before. Support was very disappointing. I stay a way. Axial has a 2 year warranty just like Arrma. No other Mfr's do. Everyone else is 30 days. That says something right there about a mfr. standing behind their product.

Last edited:
Like some of the mentions above. A crawler is fun but they don't compare. Kids like fast, jumping, and bashing for the most part. Basically they like to break things lol. You could get him a crawler and he might not like it. You mention getting g a different type of rig and he might be hesitant because of the experience he has had w the crawler and say no to another type IMO. If you go the other way you'll find out quickly if it is a hobby he will like or not. Yes it could have the same effect starting off with a crawler and moving toward a basher later on but like I mentioned before kids like breaking things. They like to push the limits of their toys.
Cool! Sounds like you have a lot of fun family time ahead!
We do, Tons actually. Until its time to go home or we use all the batteries ( which hasn't happened yet). Then it sad faces and complaining about being hungry???

Last edited:
Perhaps having experience with a Crawler makes it more obvious. Not that the Gen 8 is any slouch. Probably RCats best RC rig, if they had one? The fun factor is there. It is clearly not in the same league. Steering geometry for the Gen 8 is not even close to the10.3. Its all about the chassis when it comes to Crawlers, and not about the wow factor of the body or electrics. But to some that equates to some value I guess? IMHO. RCat parts can be a bear sometimes to get in general. Tried their products before. Support was very disappointing. I stay a way. Axial has a 2 year warranty just like Arrma. No other Mfr's do. Everyone else is 30 days. That says something right there about a mfr. standing behind their product.
Scx10 is like $535 with tax, way more than the Redcat.
What is the big difference between the V1 and V2. I did not know there was much of a difference. But I am a newbie

Thanks for informing me about that. It makes sense. If I knew that maybe I would have bought and Axial, but in my research the Gen8 performed better.

That is what I was leaning towards. I may still get one if my son takes to this to have a different kind of fun.

Again, this is, by far, the most responsive and helpful forum I have come across, and that is even considering that I did not go with an Arrma. I like Arrma people!
Here are the differences, Changes to the Gen8 V2 include heavy-duty axles & portal gears, newly designed heavy-duty axle housings, a flat skid plate, 25kg metal gear servo, and updated body colors with clear windows. https://www.redcatracing.com/produc...d5xs4q5Kt6sDpjA0dh5-39ZNIDmOUHcBoC7TgQAvD_BwE

Like I said above, the Gen 8 is no slouch. But they had to revise it because the first attempt was a nightmare. The Axial brand Created the Crawler segment many years ago. Axial R and D was established years ago. Everyone else had to copy Axial to compete.
Any new Crawler brand has to undercut $$$ to get into the market. RCat had to add some real goodies in the way of electrics to compete. You pay for what you get IMHO.
The Gen 8 itself is a nice rig in general. It is RCats most successful rig IMO. Just that to me, the brand, not so much the rig, that is horrible.

Edit: Upgrade support for the Gen 8 is slim to none. You can only rely on RCat for the most part for upgrades if offered. And most of RCats other models have been the same in this regard for many years.
Axial has numerous upgrade companies supporting the SCX10 line.
The Gen 8 Is very a nice rig though. enjoy. It will be so much fun. I was seriously wanting to test one out. I like to try different rigs. Just had very bad exper. with RCat Tech support regarding parts on 2 other rigs I had. They were clueless and made me order parts that never became available for more than 6 months. Gave up on them and the brand. Just me. Others have had luck.

Last edited:
Like some of the mentions above. A crawler is fun but they don't compare. Kids like fast, jumping, and bashing for the most part. Basically they like to break things lol. You could get him a crawler and he might not like it. You mention getting g a different type of rig and he might be hesitant because of the experience he has had w the crawler and say no to another type IMO. If you go the other way you'll find out quickly if it is a hobby he will like or not. Yes it could have the same effect starting off with a crawler and moving toward a basher later on but like I mentioned before kids like breaking things. They like to push the limits of their toys.

We do, Tons actually. Until its time to go home or we use all the batteries ( which hasn't happened yet). Then it sad faces and complaining about being hungry???
Kids don't know what speed is until YOU give them more of it. Driving ability starts with slow driving. Just as we learned to drive scale cars. My 11 yo has an Infr and Noto 6s now among several other rigs, Very proficient. Maybe more than I. But we hang together. He started when he was 5yo. We also have Crawlers. It is important to have different types of rigs down the road. And my son likes Crawlers now more than I. It can be more practical at times. Walking trails is so much fun as a family activity with Crawlers. You go miles on one or two lipo packs, great activity excercise wise. They can go through mud and water much better and break way less. Even snow is fun with them. I wont do that with my Arrma basher rigs. As your kids grow with RC they learn that speed and smashing and breaking things is not the priority, not fun, because the day is over when it happens. My son understands that now.. They will learn to respect it more. These are not dedicated kid toys. Kids take some time to figure it out as they approach their teens if the RC bug keeps their attention. That's when they might treat it as a life long hobby. Only they will know at that time. But I support it with my son. He is gradually learning how to wrench. But Lipo care is another story. I have control over them still. He just installs them in his rigs. He checks voltage with a cell checker. He understands the danger. But only I charge them for now.
Yeah my son is always hungry after bashing. :LOL:

Kids don't know what speed is until YOU give them more of it. Driving ability starts with slow driving. Just as we learned to drive scale cars. My 11 yo has an Infr and Noto 6s now among several other rigs, Very proficient. Maybe more than I. But we hang together. He started when he was 5yo. We also have Crawlers. It is important to have different types of rigs down the road. And my son likes Crawlers now more than I. It can be more practical at times. Walking trails is so much fun as a family activity with Crawlers. You go miles on one or two lipo packs, great activity excercise wise. They can go through mud and water much better and break way less. Even snow is fun with them. I wont do that with my Arrma basher rigs. As your kids grow with RC they learn that speed and smashing and breaking things is not the priority, not fun, because the day is over when it happens. My son understands that now.. They will learn to respect it more. These are not dedicated kid toys. Kids take some time to figure it out as they approach their teens if the RC bug keeps their attention. That's when they might treat it as a life long hobby. Only they will know at that time. But I support it with my son. He is gradually learning how to wrench. But Lipo care is another story. I have control over them still. He just installs them in his rigs. He checks voltage with a cell checker. He understands the danger. But only I charge them for now.
Yeah my son is always hungry
Yea I'm still in charge off the lipos as well. I only let them play using 2s lipos so things hardly ever break unless the go head on with a tree or rock.

I started enjoying RC more when I saw my son having more and more interest in it. My son has learned so much about electricity and car design etc.

I started enjoying RC more when I saw my son having more and more interest in it. My son has learned so much about electricity and car design etc.

I wish my son will reach this level next year or the year after. Now he just wants to send it (and trust me, he does). Throttle control is currently rather low in his RC-related priorities... :p

To be fair, I find he's a pretty good driver considering how reckless he is with his truck. The only rule I constantly repeat is to avoid landing on full throttle.

When he breaks something, I happily perform the repair, but I insist to show him what he broke, what needs to be done to fix it and he comes with me at the LHS to pick up parts.

Hello,

I am a newbie dad who wants to buy his son an RC truck he can play with mostly in our south Florida yard at consists of lots of roots, rocky surfaces, 2-3.5 inch grass and paved driveways. I will also take him to parks that have dirt bike paths and other more wooded areas. I want to buy him something he can grow into but is quality and somewhat powerful.

I have tried to educate myself over the past week, but as the saying goes, the more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know. So far I believe I have learned the following things:

1.) Even though I want to initially limit top speed and acceleration, it is better to go brushless and lipo because I will have more power. Therefore I plan to buy the brushless version of whatever I buy unless there is a good reason why I should not.

2.) I was initially worried about how fast these things go and how quickly they accelerated, but this can be controlled by an RC transmitted with Dual rate adjustment and exponential adjustment (not to sure I have a good grasp on the latter.)

3.) I assume that if I have a good transmitter I will not need to depend to the top speed control option offered in Traxxes and Armma trucks. Please let me know if I am wrong .

I still don't know much about ESCs, Servos and many other parts. I can tell there is a lot to learn and I think this will stimulate the little engineer predilections I already see in my child.

What I am looking for:

1.) I really want something that can go over obstacles but has a higher top speed than a crawler. I assume they are limited in top speed so they will not roll. While I would like to hit higher speeds, 20-30 mph should be good for the foreseeable future. So I would like to get him something that can overcome obstacles but won't roll easily at those speeds.

2.) Something that comes with, or that I can pair with a receiver that will allow to make the adjustments for a more controlled experience initially.

3.)30 min of battery life

3.) Has replacement parts available either locally or on the web.

4.) is built tough. I plan on mostly off-roading. I would like to do the skate park jumps with my son but not if it is going to quickly destroy the car.

I would rather not spend over $300 initially, but can stretch it to $350. I can buy things piecemeal and even wait to upgrade things latter on to get a better base to work on. I don't going Ni-Ca for now and then upgrading to a lipo. I don't mind going brushless now in order to get a better body and then upgrading in the future, unless cost-wise it would make more sense to make the jump now. I may then need to stretch m budget more. I don't mind building a kit. It will be a nice project to complete with my son, but having something he can play with immediately will probably be better.

I started looking at the Target Monster Truck for $100 (LOL!)

I then started looking at the no name brands on amazon that topped out at $150, then the Red Cat and Traxxes models (Volcan, Blackout, Stampede) and then the Armma Granite, which seems the best, but maybe the big rock is better?
Hi
Hello,

I am a newbie dad who wants to buy his son an RC truck he can play with mostly in our south Florida yard at consists of lots of roots, rocky surfaces, 2-3.5 inch grass and paved driveways. I will also take him to parks that have dirt bike paths and other more wooded areas. I want to buy him something he can grow into but is quality and somewhat powerful.

I have tried to educate myself over the past week, but as the saying goes, the more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know. So far I believe I have learned the following things:

1.) Even though I want to initially limit top speed and acceleration, it is better to go brushless and lipo because I will have more power. Therefore I plan to buy the brushless version of whatever I buy unless there is a good reason why I should not.

2.) I was initially worried about how fast these things go and how quickly they accelerated, but this can be controlled by an RC transmitted with Dual rate adjustment and exponential adjustment (not to sure I have a good grasp on the latter.)

3.) I assume that if I have a good transmitter I will not need to depend to the top speed control option offered in Traxxes and Armma trucks. Please let me know if I am wrong .

I still don't know much about ESCs, Servos and many other parts. I can tell there is a lot to learn and I think this will stimulate the little engineer predilections I already see in my child.

What I am looking for:

1.) I really want something that can go over obstacles but has a higher top speed than a crawler. I assume they are limited in top speed so they will not roll. While I would like to hit higher speeds, 20-30 mph should be good for the foreseeable future. So I would like to get him something that can overcome obstacles but won't roll easily at those speeds.

2.) Something that comes with, or that I can pair with a receiver that will allow to make the adjustments for a more controlled experience initially.

3.)30 min of battery life

3.) Has replacement parts available either locally or on the web.

4.) is built tough. I plan on mostly off-roading. I would like to do the skate park jumps with my son but not if it is going to quickly destroy the car.

I would rather not spend over $300 initially, but can stretch it to $350. I can buy things piecemeal and even wait to upgrade things latter on to get a better base to work on. I don't going Ni-Ca for now and then upgrading to a lipo. I don't mind going brushless now in order to get a better body and then upgrading in the future, unless cost-wise it would make more sense to make the jump now. I may then need to stretch m budget more. I don't mind building a kit. It will be a nice project to complete with my son, but having something he can play with immediately will probably be better.

I started looking at the Target Monster Truck for $100 (LOL!)

I then started looking at the no name brands on amazon that topped out at $150, then the Red Cat and Traxxes models (Volcan, Blackout, Stampede) and then the Armma Granite, which seems the best, but maybe the big rock is better?
Hi
My son is 7yold and driving the Arrma Granite Blx V3 in 75%. That's okay and I wouldn't recommend any cheaper car, because durability is key when kids go crazy with their RCs LOL.
It's an invest at the beginning, but you save money and frustration on the long run.
Brgds
Bjorn (Germany)

I wish my son will reach this level next year or the year after. Now he just wants to send it (and trust me, he does). Throttle control is currently rather low in his RC-related priorities... :p

To be fair, I find he's a pretty good driver considering how reckless he is with his truck. The only rule I constantly repeat is to avoid landing on full throttle.

When he breaks something, I happily perform the repair, but I insist to show him what he broke, what needs to be done to fix it and he comes with me at the LHS to pick up parts.
Kids have better eye hand coordination. You just have to explain the dynamics of mid air control a few times and they repeat it better than older folks.
Off Throttle. off ST landing is key. You will find much much less breaking. My son is really good at that now. I watch his hands at the radio. He surprises me.
20 foot Cart wheels are the worst. Hard to control. So tempting to Throttle and Steer to regain control, at the risk of breaks. I just let her go, unless there is someone or something at risk of damage or injury. Cart wheels become less and less as you get better at driving. Shock end breakage is common. I use Tekno shock rod ends and spring retainers now.

Yes, my eye can't really catch those things. The most important things were quality at an afordable price. I wanted to get into the sport for less than $300. I can spend more later if he gets into it. If not, he will always have an nice RC car for someone who is not a Hobbyist..

Thanks for your input. My son as having a ball with the crawler. In fact, it is hard for him to control. It will be great for him to learn on. I don't regret my choice at all.
Scx10 is like $535 with tax, way more than the Redcat.

Here are the differences, Changes to the Gen8 V2 include heavy-duty axles & portal gears, newly designed heavy-duty axle housings, a flat skid plate, 25kg metal gear servo, and updated body colors with clear windows. https://www.redcatracing.com/produc...d5xs4q5Kt6sDpjA0dh5-39ZNIDmOUHcBoC7TgQAvD_BwE
Crap! those are some big changes. Oh well, you live, you learn. He loves the blue.
The Gen 8 Is very a nice rig though. enjoy. It will be so much fun. I was seriously wanting to test one out. I like to try different rigs. Just had very bad exper. with RCat Tech support regarding parts on 2 other rigs I had. They were clueless and made me order parts that never became available for more than 6 months. Gave up on them and the brand. Just me. Others have had luck.
Thanks! I will consider Axail in the future. I have a feeling that my next one, if there is one, will be a build.
Yeah my son is always hungry after bashing.
I could not agree more. No need for Lip here. Things are fast enough for now. I would upgrade Servo, ESC and Controller before going Lipo.
That is why I am doing this. He wants to be an engineer. Loves the show how its made since he was 1. This should push him in that direction.
i
My son is 7yold and driving the Arrma Granite Blx V3 in 75%. That's okay and I wouldn't recommend any cheaper car, because durability is key when kids go crazy with their RCs LOL.
It's an invest at the beginning, but you save money and frustration on the long run.
Brgds
Bjorn (Germany)
Thank you so much for your input. I did my best to balance price and quality.

Yes, my eye can't really catch those things. The most important things were quality at an afordable price. I wanted to get into the sport for less than $300. I can spend more later if he gets into it. If not, he will always have an nice RC car for someone who is not a Hobbyist..

Thanks for your input. My son as having a ball with the crawler. In fact, it is hard for him to control. It will be great for him to learn on. I don't regret my choice at all.

Crap! those are some big changes. Oh well, you live, you learn. He loves the blue.

Thanks! I will consider Axail in the future. I have a feeling that my next one, if there is one, will be a build.

I could not agree more. No need for Lip here. Things are fast enough for now. I would upgrade Servo, ESC and Controller before going Lipo.

That is why I am doing this. He wants to be an engineer. Loves the show how its made since he was 1. This should push him in that direction.

Thank you so much for your input. I did my best to balance price and quality.
Value of Arrma cars might be better vs. e.g. Traxxas ( too pricy in my eyes)
Whatever you will purchase...enjoy running it with your kid!

The Axial RTR Gladiator has so much more for the buck... if it becomes your personal rig in the future. Or even in Kit form if you are so inclined to build one. Not having a Crawler before, it is hard to justify the $price$ difference of a Gen8 at first glance, I understand. Good luck. Be safe.:cool:

Me and my friend got the whole 3s line for the kids v2.

The only thing with granit we notisched its a bit shorter then the other models like big rock.
We notisched with jumps its harder to control in the air for kids but with 3s or 2s lipos set transmitter at 50 procent and the kids will still have a blast with the granite

Very nice of your leroychurchill. Much appreciated! I will go with a different color, but same model. Looks like it will be $400. I hope he likes it!

Still, if anyone else has other suggestions I am open.
If you get the mega, plan on replacing servos often! I just bought my son the mega 2wd brushed version and he hasn't ran it for a total of one complete battery and I've already replaced two servos in it! He was in grass and turned to sharp and cartwheel'd it at about half throttle. Both times! I bought for myself the 3s granite and that is a bashing little machine! I took it to the skate park and had that thing probably 20 feet in the air doing triple backflips and landed on it's back about half the time, and the other half it landed on one wheel or the other. Nothing broke but the body a little bit! Granted, I was landing in the grass most of the time,but I landed plenty hard on the cement as well, several times! As far as controlling its speed and acceleration, you can program the esc punch settings as well as the 50%/75%/100% setting on the transmitter, so there are plenty of options to dial it down for your son! I would recommend the granite for sure! I think minus the new rim's and sand paw paddle tires I spent a total of 419 after tax for the truck and battery and another 20 bucks for a charger that charges lipo/LiFe/LiHV/NiMH batteries with 1A-2A-3A and 4Amp settings. It's the DYNAMITE PROPHET SPORT MINI multi chemistry charger

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back