Kraton Help please, pinion keeps coming loose on my k6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harv666

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I started with blue loc tite on a brand new pinion and grub after the pinion came off the first time, then I went with red loc tite and 2 grub screws on another brand new pinion when the pinion came off the 2nd time. It set for 24+ hours, then I meshed and did loc tite on the motor mount screws as well. Let that sit for 36 hours. The run today lasted 1 minute at half speed and the pinion was off again??? What could I possibly be doing wrong? I even put loc tite on the motor shaft in the pinion, the grub is on the flat side, what do I try now? I made sure the grubs were exiting the pinion into the center chamber fine before I put them on. Suggestions please.

Get tekno ones? I've had no issue with my 16T so far and the grub screw fits nice and tight. I only used blue lock tight ?

The only step you didnt mention is if you cleaned everything good with alcohol, brake clean, acetone, etc... when machined and threaded both the grub and the pinion are introduced to oil.. so it's an extremely important step.. ?

The only step you didnt mention is if you cleaned everything good with alcohol, brake clean, acetone, etc... when machined and threaded both the grub and the pinion are introduced to oil.. so it's an extremely important step.. ?
You beat me to it..?
Make sure it's all clean before applying Loctite..??

You need better tools. That's what it really sounds like man. There's no way this is still happening unless your allen isn't up to the task.. It needs to fit in such there is no ability to rock back in forth in the set screw.
Trust me as an hvacr tech I set screws 50% of the week and don't use locktite. Even on my Outcast... I never put locktite back on the screw after my 2nd, 3rd & 4th time taking things apart. I bash hard and don't have issues like this.

At this point, is the shaft damaged? Maybe that flat edge has been rounded off some?? Seems like you're doing everything right.

You need better tools. That's what it really sounds like man. There's no way this is still happening unless your allen isn't up to the task.. It needs to fit in such there is no ability to rock back in forth in the set screw.
Trust me as an hvacr tech I set screws 50% of the week and don't use locktite. Even on my Outcast... I never put locktite back on the screw after my 2nd, 3rd & 4th time taking things apart. I bash hard and don't have issues like this.
I bought brand new tools for this to tell you the truth, they are up not moving in the set screw.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back