Help removing 17mm bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWI_RC

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
First post, new here. Came for knowledge. I recently bought a used Big Rock off Craigslist. Upon going over everything/maintenance before bashing for first time. I noticed the previous owner has the 17mm heads glued to bolt assembly. I can not remove any of the four for the life of me. Does anyone have any ideas or pointers on removing? I even used an impact and made it nowhere. So Im thinking cut rim/tire out and replacing all assembly's?! Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

-Mike

Have you tried heating the wheel nuts? If it's glue some heat should allow you to soften it up enough to break the hold?

Thanks for the reply! I will purchase a heat gun today and see what happens.

Np, just be sure to concentrate the heat on the wheel nut cap and threads, don't want soften or distort the plastic wheel. A soldering iron might give you enough concentrated heat, you could try that as well?
Good luck!

If it has the stock wheels, I would say try the soldering iron first. The stock wheels have a very small opening for hub access and if you use a head gun you will for sure heat up and probably distort the wheel itself. But it sounds like at a minimum you will probably end up needing to replace the wheels, the wheel hex (AR330359), and the wheel nut (AR310449). Not sure what your plans for the truck are, the stock Arrma parts are really good, but the Big Rock does tend to be a bit top heavy, so since you are already going to be working on the hubs you might consider getting offset hubs. I know there are a couple people on the forum to run the +5mm Hot-Racing hubs (NRO10W02) and like them. Unless you also want to replace the entire hub assembly do be careful not to keep the heat on it for so long that you heat up the steering blocks (AR330361) in front or the hubs (AR330365) in back. The red plastic nuts (AR330335) in the hubs that hold the pillow balls in place are made from a much lighter weight plastic and seem to me like they would be much more susceptible to heat damage than the hub assembly itself. I put all the part number and links so that you can see exactly which parts I am talking about. Hope you get it all fixed up, the Big Rock is an awesome truck that I am sure you will have a great time with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back