Notorious Help so I can get to bed LOL! LSD Question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomis38

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Outcast EXB
  7. Senton 6s
  8. Vendetta
Hey all,

Well I busted my front diff finally in my notorious. I have previously upgraded the rear to an open diff with a aluminum gearbox cover and its holding up great. I knew when the front went I was gonna do another exb open diff and aluminum cover.

Im installing the exb open diff "lol cept not" and it seems crazy tight like the spiders are way over shimmed, so I took it apart and I'm pretty sure its a limited slip. So are these limited slips supposed to be stupid tight? Also can I just remove some stuff and add spider gear shims to make it open diff?

20210125_212614.jpg

Look up on YouTube about the LSD diffs if someone else doesn't chime in. I would assume LSD being limited slip diff it would be tight so there's "limited slip" but I don't have any experience with the EXB diffs. I know there is also different variations of setting up the LSD plates as well to get different slip, again I'd just YouTube it as video is going to help more than reading our responses👍

If it's "crazy tight" to the point where you can't rotate the outdrives, then the plates aren't installed correctly.

If you want to convert it to open diff, you'll need ARA311094.

I have like 10 old diffs and shims lol, thats why I asked.

Thx for the quick responses guys. I just sat and played with it. End result the diff case screws were over tightened. I got all my upgrades done. Shes back in business. Annoying though as I specifically purchased an open diff.

20210125_174915.jpg

20210125_181324.jpg

20210125_203120.jpg

20210125_205653.jpg

20210125_225153.jpg

20210123_175614.jpg

20210125_225352.jpg

So compared to any other diff in any other vehicle are the lsd diffs more resistant when turning the drive cups?

Hey all,

Well I busted my front diff finally in my notorious. I have previously upgraded the rear to an open diff with a aluminum gearbox cover and its holding up great. I knew when the front went I was gonna do another exb open diff and aluminum cover.

Im installing the exb open diff "lol cept not" and it seems crazy tight like the spiders are way over shimmed, so I took it apart and I'm pretty sure its a limited slip. So are these limited slips supposed to be stupid tight? Also can I just remove some stuff and add spider gear shims to make it open diff?

View attachment 122464
I had purchased a front and rear EXB diff to install in my son's mojavified Outcast and I noticed while shimming the outdrive, usimg the 6x13.7mm shims will make contact with the star LSD plate. Idk if this might cause issues in the future but Arrma uses the ara709059 shims that are 13.7mm OD.

Seeing your picture and Arrmas exploded view of the EXB diff, you built it right to there specs but I wonder if that could be a flaw? If they made a 6x18mm shim, that would have more contact area on the star plate.

I rebuilt mine and used some 6x12x.1mm shims for the outdrive and I was able to add a couple 12x18mm shims behind the star plates.

Idk I might be overthinking it and my OCD is getting the best of me 😂 🤪

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back