Outcast HELP! Stuck Outdrive in Differential housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingNBreakin04

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
Has anybody had this issue before? I cannot remove the Diff Outdrives from both diffs. They are stuck or caught on something. I removed the pins, shim and o ring.

Removed both front and rear diffs on my Outcast 6s to replace the Diff housing. So I decided to clean and change fluids in my diffs.

Most likely the pins deformed the output shaft near the hole. You could gently sand or file them. Or you could go barbarian and punch them out with a pin and hammer.

Pass a fine stone on the surface to remove burrs and outdrives should slip right out. Careful not to remove too much material or orings won’t seal properly and oil will seep through.

Last edited:
Most likely the pins deformed the output shaft near the hole. You could gently sand or file them. Or you could go barbarian and punch them out with a pin and hammer.
All the pins that hold the Outdrives in each diff were broken. Last thing i want to do is buy new diffs.
Anyone have experience with the Hot Racing Diff cases?

Yes I have had several that I had to get a 5/8 or 15mm deep socket and a punch to hammer the drive cup. Hopefully the hardened M2C cups will fix it. Bash on ??

I opted for Mugen E0228 outdrives (with matching 2.2 x 9.8mm pins) and E0206 shim kit and haven’t had any issues since.

HR aluminum diff cases have served me very well as they are nicely machined. I also run the ARA220050 units, which are a tad better in my opinion. Some have reported that because the HR cases are aluminum, the steel dry-spinning outdrive wears out the diff cup bore... causing them to eventually leak (the ARA220050 has a metal plate which prevents this from happening).

BA9C0301-E6BB-4663-B124-3C2353119D8E.jpeg
8FD77D2F-73D2-4975-BAAC-F05C9C7A2144.jpeg

Last edited:
I opted for Mugen E0228 outdrives (with matching 2.2 x 9.8mm pins) and E0206 shim kit and haven’t had any issues since.

HR aluminum diff cases have served me very well as they are nicely machined. I also run the ARA220050 units, which are a tad better in my opinion. Some have reported that because the HR cases are aluminum, the steel dry-spinning outdrive wears out the diff cup bore... causing them to eventually leak (the ARA220050 has a metal plate which prevents this from happening).

That’s the diffs I’m running now, and easier to get thick diff fluid out.

View attachment 87003View attachment 87004

View attachment 87003View attachment 87004
I found them in stock but they want $70 total is these titanium or diamond cut

I found them in stock but they want $70 total is these titanium or diamond cut

Titanium or diamond cut? I don’t understand your question...

Ended up using some vice grips and a hammer to twist and pull the outdrives out. The outdrives on the side of the diff gear was easy to pull out with the vice grips. On the other side had a harder time pulling them out. Used the vice grip to pull on the outdrive and a hammer(nail pulling side) to pull/pry out the Outdrive.

Gonna install these HR diff case bulkheads into the truck. And add more shims when i reassemble the diffs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200625-153001_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200625-153001_Chrome.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20200624-024847_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200624-024847_Chrome.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20200625-205000_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200625-205000_Chrome.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 37
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back