Help: Talion chewing up Main Diff Gear AR310497!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalionSWB

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
My Talion v2 destroying the teeth on the rear 43T main diff gear

I have heard about shimming the diffs but the damage is being done outside the diff case not on the internal gears.

The AR310497 cost around $30 a piece delivered here in the UK and I cant afford to keep buying replacements

Does any member have any advice as to how to stop them being destroyed? Either an upgrade or some type of shimming?

Check diff bearings, check that all 4 screws holding spur to the cup are evenly tight. Check diff on side to side movement you might need to add a few outer shims on the left side. Also check bearing for center drive shaft cup.

My Talion v2 destroying the teeth on the rear 43T main diff gear

I have heard about shimming the diffs but the damage is being done outside the diff case not on the internal gears.

The AR310497 cost around $30 a piece delivered here in the UK and I cant afford to keep buying replacements

Does any member have any advice as to how to stop them being destroyed? Either an upgrade or some type of shimming?
check so that the four screws that holds the lid for ar310427 are tight and the plastic threads are not worn out

Rs

Check diff bearings, check that all 4 screws holding spur to the cup are evenly tight. Check diff on side to side movement you might need to add a few outer shims on the left side. Also check bearing for center drive shaft cup.
Thanks Crash, I will replace the bearings and the diff case, one screw is already stripped in the diff case. Im confused as to how a stripped screw could lead to the main diff gear being damaged?

check so that the four screws that holds the lid for ar310427 are tight and the plastic threads are not worn out
Hey Trickelitrick,
One of the threads in the diff case ia stripped, I will get a replacement aluminium diff case. Im surprised a stripped screw thread could do that

Rs

Thanks Crash, I will replace the bearings and the diff case, one screw is already stripped in the diff case. Im confused as to how a stripped screw could lead to the main diff gear being damaged?

Hey Trickelitrick,
One of the threads in the diff case ia stripped, I will get a replacement aluminium diff case. Im surprised a stripped screw thread could do that
I guess the forces are enough to move the diffcup slightly out of its postition, even if its just a few millimetres it will ruin teeth on pinion or the main gear :(

How new is your rc? Might be under warranty. If a screw backs out it can cause a wobble and over time cab kill a bearing and chew up geara because the cup doesn't have a solid connection to the gear on all four spots of the diff. This also happens to a lot of center diffs and people will go through pinion gears and have truoble getting the right mesh. Using aluminum diff cups you will feel the screws stop and you know your there. As well as using blue lock tite so they don't back out! Heres mine.
20171126_175857.jpg

Also on the outside might want to throw in a couple exta shims on the left side to insurs good contact with the gear.

How new is your rc? Might be under warranty. If a screw backs out it can cause a wobble and over time cab kill a bearing and chew up geara because the cup doesn't have a solid connection to the gear on all four spots of the diff. This also happens to a lot of center diffs and people will go through pinion gears and have truoble getting the right mesh. Using aluminum diff cups you will feel the screws stop and you know your there. As well as using blue lock tite so they don't back out! Heres mine.
View attachment 13777

Also on the outside might want to throw in a couple exta shims on the left side to insurs good contact with the gear.
Just to clarify what i meant was these threads :)

Attachments

• 20171130_002024.jpg
    20171130_002024.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 62
Just to clarify what i meant was these threads :)
Thankyou for the clarification! I thought you meant the screws which hold the main spiral gear to the diff case (the Hot Racing aluminium diff case in your pic) not the bulk head housing.

In that case my screw threads for all 4 screws are fine! I have ordered Tekno Tkr1222 shims to insert on the left of the diff to stop any horizontal movement of the diffs

To be honest my diffs were running great until I ran my Leopard 4092 2080kv motor on 6s! Almost immediately I heard the grinding noise as soon as the 4092 unleashed its power on 6s!

View attachment 13777

Hey crash
Thankyou for the pic to help illustrate, your setup looks slick!
My RC is just over 1 year old so still within Arrma's 2 year warranty. But I didnt know diffs were covered under warranty?!

I have alot of power running through my driveline in the form of a 2080kv Leopard 4092 Motor running 6s which is insanely powerful and my diff was running great until i installed this monster motor

Im also very tempted by that Hot Racing diff case you have installed. I have Tkr1222 shims on the way. Not sure what remedy I should try first

"Trickelitrick is correct! Make sure those are tight as well!
If diff cups screws are tight. Ckeck side to side diff movement in the diff housing. Add your shims on left side till theres no movement. Not overly tight though. Cinch down diff housing cap and try that! Not realy sure what warranty is on diffs either cause I always rebuild mine. If the diff housing is stripped than just use a bigger screw for that part.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back