Help to make the Firma 150A ESC a single battery connection...what about the grey telemetry wire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I want to take a spare Firma 150A ESC a single IC5 connection.

It has two grey wires for the black side and the orange side for each IC5 conector. Which one stays? When I look at a Firma 130A ESC it has the grey wire on the black side only for the telemetry on this single connect ESC.

Do I:
  • Move the positive orange WIRE off the IC5 connector to the connector that has the black negative wire?
  • Do I afterwards CUT and tape off the grey telemetry wire still on the orange wire, not inactive since I removed the connector?

Is that all to it?

1675025625160.png
1675025636205.png

I think cut the black+grey cables and orange+grey. Solder black+grey and orange+grey on the connector you want.
But why not buy or make a loop connector, so you can run one lipo if you want, but still have the two connectors in case you ever want to run two lipo’s?

I think cut the black+grey cables and orange+grey. Solder black+grey and orange+grey on the connector you want.
But why not buy or make a loop connector, so you can run one lipo if you want, but still have the two connectors in case you ever want to run two lipo’s?
I thought about that, but the rig I am building is a 4S rig ONLY. Will never run on 6S. I have done the same with my Kraton 6S but I left it as two in the event I go back to 6S. This new rig build is rated at max 4S for the diffs/drivetrain.

All you need out of the ESC is one black and one orange to a single connector. If using smart batteries you will need the gray wire. If not cut and insulation the end.
All you need out of the ESC is one black and one orange to a single connector. If using smart batteries you will need the gray wire. If not cut and insulation the end.
Or you can make a jumper for the second plug and leave all else alone.

Thx

But the question is which grey wire to cut. It has a grey wire running on both the black and the orange.

if using one battery, you only need one gray wire. It gives smart battery info. to the ESC. So leave the one you make in the new connector Or tie the two gray wires together.

if using one battery, you only need one gray wire. It gives smart battery info. to the ESC. So leave the one you make in the new connector Or tie the two gray wires together.
Thx!!

What are you building?!?

I am restoring a used Losi Lasernut that I purchased that was from a LHS. I have so many Firma 150A actually was thinking of using the one out of that Firetem I got, LOL. I did buy a Max8 G2. I was thinking about returning the G2 and using the Firma.

But I might trash that idea now. I forgot on the Firma 150A you cannot change LVC and I like to change that option.

I forgot on the Firma 150A you cannot change LVC and I like to change that option.
You can’t? I thought I remember doing that on mine… now I have to go check. Tomorrow I mean.

I thought about that, but the rig I am building is a 4S rig ONLY. Will never run on 6S. I have done the same with my Kraton 6S but I left it as two in the event I go back to 6S. This new rig build is rated at max 4S for the diffs/drivetrain.
Keeping the two connectors gives you options. If you keep the two battery connectors you can use two 2s batteries to get 4s, or you can use the two connectors with the loop and one 4s battery.

Keeping the two connectors gives you options. If you keep the two battery connectors you can use two 2s batteries to get 4s, or you can use the two connectors with the loop and one 4s battery.
I'm a bit on the fence on this myself. I want to change my ESC connectors, and I only have 6S packs. I'm planning to go to just a single connector, since 99% of the time that will be less wires, weight, and electrical resistance.

You *can* make sort of an external series loop, if you will. A separate connectors setup to let you join a pair of packs together, and feed them to a single ESC connector. So you still get the same capabilities. But it's a bit clumsy (uses an external adapter that you need to make yourself), and having drawn it out, it also introduces additional connectors, vs using 2 connectors on the ESC. But it could still be an option, if you wanted to try running with a pair of packs.

I think I'll go to a single connector. Worst-case, if you had to put it back to 2-connectors in the future, you could un-solder one ESC-connector wire, and solder in the second connector & wires.

Have purchased new ESC's that were wired for dual batteries. No biggy to change to one battery wiring or vice verses. It all starts at the ESC and wire to ones needs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back