Help to Stop Granite Body from Breaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Fam

What can I do to stop or slow the Granite body from busting open from bashing in the rear? I am not a hard basher this is the result after 20-25+ packs. I do not have anything on the chassis post of the Granite body. I did try to tape the body shell but I see that's not working too well.

Any tips or pictures you can share of what I can do to the chassis and/or body to slow down the rear from tearing apart?

Thx
IMG_20200706_112742.jpg

IMG_20200706_112757.jpg

The rear shock tower tries poking through the body, that's what causes that. The body flexes down and the shock tower is there right underneath it trying to poke through. A couple of layers of drywall mesh and Shoe Goo/E6000 can help prevent that. You could go with a wing, but personally don't like the wing look on a Monster truck. Would also make it harder for me to self right it because I'm too lazy to go do the walk of shame :ROFLMAO:

It's all road rash, so you could also 3d print a protector that bolts to the body as well..?

Drywall mesh and shoe goo.

The rear shock tower tries poking through the body, that's what causes that. The body flexes down and the shock tower is there right underneath it trying to poke through. A couple of layers of drywall mesh and Shoe Goo/E6000 can help prevent that. You could go with a wing, but personally don't like the wing look on a Monster truck. Would also make it harder for me to self right it because I'm too lazy to go do the walk of shame :ROFLMAO:

Thx guys....what does drywall mesh look like and how does it look or apply to the Granite. Any pictures?

Add a wing.. it's the best protection for the rear of the granite body.. ?

Thx for the option

Traxxas Maxx tailguard. You'll have to make some modifications, but it is working great. It's a little too wide, so I cut out the middle and used the two halves. Then I Dremel'ed out the screw holders inside. It's held on by Gorilla heavy duty waterproof tape. It stays on through everything I put it through. Besides, with the damage you already have, you won't be able to bolt anything on. Completely protects the tail and it's extremely tough. It's going to be a long time before it gets worn out. Getting a wing will also prevent tail damage, but I also didn't like the look of a wing on the Granite, so I'm very happy with this solution.

The shoe goo with drywall tape will help reinforce the body as a whole or hold together hairline cracks, but won't patch up that tail damage for very long. The tail isn't cracked, it gets scraped away as Camaroboy mentioned. It's a common problem, you may notice Granites on YouTube often have completely worn away tails.

As cheapbastard mentioned, the rear shock tower does also eventually cause damage, but not the damage you're showing in your photo. A couple of strips of foam tape on top is an easy fix.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Mine looks exactly the same.

I used duct/cloth tape. Not sure what its called outside of Australia. Might be the same.

Alternatively, you could just make sure you land it on its wheels. =)

I gorilla taped my granite and Senton bodies and they’ve been holding up awesome. The shock towers on the granite do rub through like stated above. I used some cardboard and thin plastic I cut from random packaging I had at the house under the tape and it’s stoped the rub through.

Attachments

• FE297E57-A3DE-41C7-AA9C-3774FA02BF42.jpeg
    FE297E57-A3DE-41C7-AA9C-3774FA02BF42.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 73
  • EC6DFDF7-E538-4B9B-97AD-81297346F9C2.jpeg
    EC6DFDF7-E538-4B9B-97AD-81297346F9C2.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 76
didnt last much longer than nothing on my son's Granite
One layer of shoe goo and drywall won't withstand hard hits. 2-3 layers along with extra reinforcement at the weak points makes a huge difference. The weak points are the four corners of the cab, especially where they meet the truck bed and hood. You have to reinforce to prevent them from folding from roof hits. The other major weak point is above the wheels. They will tear if the hood or bed are allowed to flex too much. I have a total of about 5 layers on the weak points. The body mount holes are also a problem. I needed 4s body posts and Proline body mount screws to prevent those from cracking.

And as stated above, the tail needs exterior protection. Either a skid plate or tail.

I ran across the post where a guy used rhino liner. The same stuff that you're line your pickup truck bed with. I have not seen a long term follow up. That's the route I was thinking when I get my new body

Go to jennys rc and buy the typhon 3s wing that comes whitnall u need,after buy the screws and nuts and u good to go.my has the wing

I ran across the post where a guy used rhino liner. The same stuff that you're line your pickup truck bed with. I have not seen a long term follow up. That's the route I was thinking when I get my new body
Exactly what ive done. But I also run a wing too
Youve seen all ive broken. But not the body. Its perfect besides hidden scratches before I put the armor on it

Just don't flip the car - works miracles! Seriously.

... got the Russian body after Shoogoo didn't work so well. Ugly but solved the problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back