Granite Help: want to build a 4s capable granite 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Has anyone upgraded their granite to 4s?

im hoping to figure out what I need to make it work and maybe also where to get each item.

I’m lookiMG at eBay for a used granite to start.

thanks.

Which Granite are you starting with? I’ve upgraded my 3S to 4S.

The easy button would be to drop the 4s system (blx120 ESC and 3665 2400kv motor) from the 4s models into the granite and call it a day. Jennysrc.com is the easiest place to source stuff arrma in the US but lots of stuff out of stock most of the time last several months due to covid and supply chain bottlenecks from overseas.

Last edited:
The easy button would be to drop the 4s system (blx120 ESC and 3665 2400kv motor) from the 4s models into the granite and call it a day. Jennysrc.com is the easiest place to sources stuff arrma in the US but lots of stuff out of stock most of the time last several months due to covid and supply chain bottlenecks from overseas.
That’s what I did for my G3S. But if he has a Mega Granite, might as well go buy a OC4S and save some money.

That’s what I did for my G3S. But if he has a Mega Granite, might as well go buy a OC4S and save some money.

thanks to all who responded so far. I don’t have the base yet. My current truck is a granite 3s blx and I like it, but my wife ends up using it more than I do. We need another truck and I like the granite frame.

The next truck will be granite based, I’d love to just get a 4wd mega and upgrade it, but if I need a blx I’ll get that. I’ve heard the blx diffs really struggle on the 4s electronics package, so was thinking I’d need to upgrade diff and servo at least.

I’d love to see what others have built.

If you really like the Granite, but want 4s power, and you want a project, search up some Siren threads.

My Granite started as a Mega. I BLX'ed it, but with a 3800kv motor. On 3s, with a 15t pinion, it is more power than the chassis can really put down - tons of fun. I liked the size for most of my bashing, but wanted more control AND more power, so I converted my Typhon to a Siren. On 4s, 2350kv 4269 motor, it has a bit more power / lots more control vs my Granite. Never tried 6s, but other Siren folks have.

My build thread -
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/jerry-rigged-answers-the-sirens-call.10842/
Siren.jpg

thanks to all who responded so far. I don’t have the base yet. My current truck is a granite 3s blx and I like it, but my wife ends up using it more than I do. We need another truck and I like the granite frame.

The next truck will be granite based, I’d love to just get a 4wd mega and upgrade it, but if I need a blx I’ll get that. I’ve heard the blx diffs really struggle on the 4s electronics package, so was thinking I’d need to upgrade diff and servo at least.

I’d love to see what others have built.
I would not get a Mega. There are $200 worth of upgrades on the 3S that you will have to buy to upgrade a Mega to a 3S. Save the $120 and start with a 3S instead. Or, save $20 and get an OC4S. Or, buy a Typhon 6S and do the Siren build.

Wow! Siren build looks awesome, thank you for the link and the info on that.

That should save some $ too. I was looking at about $600 for my project Granite Project, but if I'm not mistaken the Siren can be built with parts from the Typhon 6s exclusively (except for body obviously - and I'll get a DumboRC RT because I don't like the lag on spectrum radios)

I'll keep fishing the Siren threads, but have I made any obvious errors in my assumption that Siren is just a chopped Typhon 6s with no extra parts?

Thanks all.

Wow! Siren build looks awesome, thank you for the link and the info on that.

That should save some $ too. I was looking at about $600 for my project Granite Project, but if I'm not mistaken the Siren can be built with parts from the Typhon 6s exclusively (except for body obviously - and I'll get a DumboRC RT because I don't like the lag on spectrum radios)

I'll keep fishing the Siren threads, but have I made any obvious errors in my assumption that Siren is just a chopped Typhon 6s with no extra parts?

Thanks all.
It needs wide mod (Kraton hubs/hex/axles), body mounts, extra chassis (unless you want to cut the stock one) extra front driveshaft, and a custom front chassis brace. Also, if I had a v4, I would have wanted the Outcast T2T brace, which would also need to be chopped. Oh, and a 1/10 MT body, and 17mm hex 2.8 MT tires.

It needs wide mod (Kraton hubs/hex/axles), body mounts, extra chassis (unless you want to cut the stock one) extra front driveshaft, and a custom front chassis brace. Also, if I had a v4, I would have wanted the Outcast T2T brace, which would also need to be chopped. Oh, and a 1/10 MT body, and 17mm hex 2.8 MT tires.

I see, so no saving money then.

Siren needs (and estimated costs):
1. Typhon 6s = $500
2. Wide mod (kraton hubs/hex/axles) = $?
3. body mounts = $10
4. extra chassis (is this a 1/10 granite chassis?) = $20
5. front driveshaft = $?
6. custom front chassis brace = $?
7. brace which needs to be chopped = $?
8. 17mm hex & MT tires to go with MT body = $120

That is a lot more than I was tracking. Is there anything I'm missing?

Yeah, an Outcast4s would be cheaper than a Siren conversion, but the Siren would be much tougher, and more upgradable, if you are into Bling (most 6s upgrades will bolt on).

The extra chassis is a Typhon/Outcast chassis. Not 100% needed, but it makes the project easier and reversible. :)

Cost - If Jenny'sRC and the other kit breakers were stocked up, you get get all the parts (minus the body and tires) for about $75 or so. These days, some parts have doubled in price at the kit breakers, if you can find them in stock.

One more option - not Arrma - but I have had my eye on the Proline Pro4 MT. It is a 1/10 MT built like a 1/8 buggie. $300 I think, sold as a roller only, you you can have fun spec'ing out your own power system - so about $500-$600 depending on how you build it.

Yeah, an Outcast4s would be cheaper than a Siren conversion, but the Siren would be much tougher, and more upgradable, if you are into Bling (most 6s upgrades will bolt on).

The extra chassis is a Typhon/Outcast chassis. Not 100% needed, but it makes the project easier and reversible. :)

Cost - If Jenny'sRC and the other kit breakers were stocked up, you get get all the parts (minus the body and tires) for about $75 or so. These days, some parts have doubled in price at the kit breakers, if you can find them in stock.

One more option - not Arrma - but I have had my eye on the Proline Pro4 MT. It is a 1/10 MT built like a 1/8 buggie. $300 I think, sold as a roller only, you you can have fun spec'ing out your own power system - so about $500-$600 depending on how you build it.

That Proline ProMT is very attractive (do you know where it is in stock?). I'm now leaning to that as a better option, given how novice I am right now. What electronics would you recommend in it?

Would you put the BLX 6s electronics?

I should have grabbed the ProMT when it was on sale for $300 last fall. I would have bought the Ambush version.

As far as the Arrmas go, I would choose between the OC4S and the Typhon 6S if I were you. You don’t have to go full Siren with the Typhon to have fun. Just throw some 3.8 wheels and tires on it. Truck body if desired. Good to go.

I should have grabbed the ProMT when it was on sale for $300 last fall. I would have bought the Ambush version.

As far as the Arrmas go, I would choose between the OC4S and the Typhon 6S if I were you. You don’t have to go full Siren with the Typhon to have fun. Just throw some 3.8 wheels and tires on it. Truck body if desired. Good to go.
No 3.8 wheels - the chassis won't bottom out. 2.8MT, with the wide mod, is fantastic, though. Even without the rest of the Siren mod.

No 3.8 wheels - the chassis won't bottom out. 2.8MT, with the wide mod, is fantastic, though. Even without the rest of the Siren mod.
So the OC arms widen it enough to chassis slap on 3.8’s? How much wider are they?

So the OC arms widen it enough to chassis slap on 3.8’s? How much wider are they?
If you full OC conversion, with the OC arms/shocks/towers, then yeah, you can run 3.8. "Wide Mod" is a middle step - use Typhon arms shocks and towers (stock) but swap the hubs/axles/stubs for the wide Kraton ones. Because you still have the stock arms, you still have stock travel - which is not enough for 3.8.

I see, so no saving money then.
No a Siren is definitely not a money saver. Buying any 4s capable RTR will be a more economical way to get to 4s. I've been interested in building one for awhile, but it is a custom job that will take time, effort and money. You need lots of tools as well. Jigsaw, drill, metal cutting blades, drill bits, workbench, vice grip. I'm facing the reality that I will probably never get it done.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back