Help with a question on belted tires and tire weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Question on tire weight...fam

On the Big Rock 3S BLX v3, I added the belted Proline Trenchers HP 2.8"....love'em the no ballooning. They have more weight. My old 2.8" tires were non-belted weighted 6.65oz. The new belted Trenchers weigh 8.80oz.

In addition, the 3S Big Rock as we know came with a weak S651 servo most remove. Stock one is 7kg or 97oz-in. The DS3225 installed is 25kg or 347oz-in. I have a more expensive one never used a Savox SB2271SG 20kg or 277.7 oz-in. I feel the servo is well strong enough to move the belted tires.

A few months back, I added the Arrma CVD's not for any issues like popping drives, no slipper issues just thought it would be a better upgrade for longevity.

Question....with this slight change in weight running the belted tires now do you think this would be an issue within the drivetrain down the road...I don't feel these are overstressing anything but I don't know? Hoping you all can share some experiences, thoughts, or advice.

Thx

In theory the heavier tires yes would add more stress to the drivetrain. Honestly I run the regular MX28's on my Bigrock and have on my granite also with no issues running stock shafts and servo. Honestly the only issues I've had with driveshafts or diffs was due to too long of shocks causing to harsh of an angle. Or my son trying to self right and chewing up the diff. I'd think you'd be fine with already having installed the cvd's and the 25kg servo👍

Question on tire weight...fam

On the Big Rock 3S BLX v3, I added the belted Proline Trenchers HP 2.8"....love'em the no ballooning. They have more weight. My old 2.8" tires were non-belted weighted 6.65oz. The new belted Trenchers weigh 8.80oz.

In addition, the 3S Big Rock as we know came with a weak S651 servo most remove. Stock one is 7kg or 97oz-in. The DS3225 installed is 25kg or 347oz-in. I have a more expensive one never used a Savox SB2271SG 20kg or 277.7 oz-in. I feel the servo is well strong enough to move the belted tires.

A few months back, I added the Arrma CVD's not for any issues like popping drives, no slipper issues just thought it would be a better upgrade for longevity.

Question....with this slight change in weight running the belted tires now do you think this would be an issue within the drivetrain down the road...I don't feel these are overstressing anything but I don't know? Hoping you all can share some experiences, thoughts, or advice.

Thx
I hated the belted trenchers on my 3S trucks. No grip and way too heavy. Had to gear way down to keep heat in check and also popped ujoints all the damn time. That shouldn’t be an issue since you have CVDs tho.

In theory the heavier tires yes would add more stress to the drivetrain. Honestly I run the regular MX28's on my Bigrock and have on my granite also with no issues running stock shafts and servo. Honestly the only issues I've had with driveshafts or diffs was due to too long of shocks causing to harsh of an angle. Or my son trying to self right and chewing up the diff. I'd think you'd be fine with already having installed the cvd's and the 25kg servo👍

Thx Brother....I know that's not the law but good feedback. Follow-up question your BR/Granite did you keep your diff fluid at stock 10/10k f/r for the MX28 you ran? I am still 10/10 but heavier diff if I ever tried that now seems that may add more work to the diffs along with those belted tires I might NOT want to do...
I hated the belted trenchers on my 3S trucks. No grip and way too heavy. Had to gear way down to keep heat in check and also popped ujoints all the damn time. That shouldn’t be an issue since you have CVDs tho.

Thx always appreciate your thoughts Man and the other guy posted one. I know you do not have a dialed answer on this....I just bought these Trenchers HP and Proline advertise them like they are a new breed...an updated version. I could be wrong...

Did you run the current ones released or a previous version? Again, I could be off on that statement by far you and others have been in this longer than me.....just a fly on the wall trying not to get swatted. :)

I'm hoping it's a newer version....don't know

Last edited:
I have the Trencher HP tires on my Typhon 3s. I haven't noticed an issue with the drive train, but I had slightly elevated motor temps on the stock motor after full throttle runs for 15 minutes or so. I did replace the motor with a Surpass 3670/2850 for more torque, and motor temps went down quite a bit.

I have the Trencher HP tires on my Typhon 3s. I haven't noticed an issue with the drive train, but I had slightly elevated motor temps on the stock motor after full throttle runs for 15 minutes or so. I did replace the motor with a Surpass 3670/2850 for more torque, and motor temps went down quite a bit.

Thank you... Good feedback as well. I have aftermarket fans on my ESC and motor. Been solid so far to keep me going in hot heat for a full bash. Have not pushed that yet in hot heat with the Trenchers still glad I'm better than stock. I have a spare Game Changer fan I can swap out if needed.

Thank you

Just stock fluids I'm running in Bigrock, Granite I went to like ≈30k front and 10k rear👍
Edough and @jondilly1974

Asking I don't have them....does adding aluminum hubs all round on Big Rock help in my case any or not really...any advantage to my question on strain/stress?

I'm a medium basher not a send it guy....

Edough and @jondilly1974

Asking I don't have them....does adding aluminum hubs all round on Big Rock help in my case any or not really...any advantage to my question on strain/stress?

It may help some with slop and play in the steering but I ultimately went with them to help with breakage on bigger sends. As for helping with stress or strain I don't see them helping anything 🤷

Edough and @jondilly1974

I used to break a lot of caster blocks early on in the Granite Mega days. I stopped bashing 3S rigs a long time ago. But I think they are for sure an upgrade I would still consider.

Today was my first day to really push the Big Rock with the new belted Proline Trencher HP tires under a very HOT day. It was 7p but still had a 104deg feel like...humid SOUTH:

1627618063461.png

Made a full bash with 3S 5500mAh Gens battery. Cut off at LVC not thermal cut off
Both the Rocket aftermarket fans held up well on the motor and ESC
Let it rest for 10-15 min was able to complete another full bash with another 3S 5500mAh

Today was a heat test with the extra weight and load on the RC with the tires and passed to my POV. Normally I would pass on a day like this no RC. Even in the past doing it on a day like this same conditions with the MX or Duratrax tires and stock fans I would hit thermal cutoff....

Temps:

When I stopped the DX5C was reading 199deg...but each sec that dropped so within 10sec it was 182deg and dropping
1627618695589.png

With the heatgun:
Battery: 174
Motor: 180 at spur gear end
Motor: 160 at the other end
ESC: 135
Tires: 94

Was on dirt so did not measure that temp :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back