Kraton Help with Center Differential Grinding noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always hard to convince people that nothing is wrong, next they fix stuff that isn't broken. They will break something in the process or cause issues and then they believe that they found the issue... :unsure: ?
That sounds vaguely familiar ??

That’s why I posted to the forum. I wasn’t sure if it was normal or not. Being my first RC car I had never paid much attention to the noise before other than hearing it run by on the ground. Following the advice, putting the car together and seeing how it runs. Thank you all for the responses. I needed to know from experienced individuals if that sounded normal or not!
Does the center diff cups have screws in them? I have looked already and didn’t see them, but maybe I overlooked.

Last edited:
That’s why I posted to the forum. I wasn’t sure if it was normal or not. Being my first RC car I had never paid much attention to the noise before other than hearing it run by on the ground. Following the advice, putting the car together and seeing how it runs. Thank you all for the responses. I needed to know from experienced individuals if that sounded normal or not!
Does the center diff cups have screws in them? I have looked already and didn’t see them, but maybe I overlooked.

No screws in the cups.. they are retained internally by the cross pins that drive the sun gears..?

Question to all. I was told if one person is holding both rear tires and someone else try's to spin the front tires the rear tires should be trying to spin out of person's hands. Does this seem correct?
Reason is for diagnosing the center diff. Just installed a full v4 rear diff on my kraton exb and noticed while doing the above test my tires have no resistence. Any other suggestion besides the taking the center diff out for inspection to diagnose a center diff?

Yes, that is true. Don't forget to check your driveshafts though. One of the grub screws on the cubs could be loose. That would be my first guess, if you just replaced the entire diff, it's easyly overlooked.
If the driveshaft moves along with your wheels turning, you can start looking upstream.

Just pull it, it's not that big of a deal IMO.

If the pinion is meshed and the motor doesn't turn if you turn both front wheels the same direction then it should try to turn the center diff and if it can't it should turn the back wheels instead. It does depend on the fluid thickness in the center diff and if it turns the motor instead.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back