Granite Help with first ever charging of LiPo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LenniePaz

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to charge a LiPo for the first time. Can someone please tell me the best settings to use with this charger and battery? I read the manual, but it may as well be in another language. I've always had nitro RCs, so the battery thing is new to me. I'd rather ask on here, than burn my house down.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P863S9D/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_dL2kEbQBAR2YH

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XYQMFHL/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_QL2kEbRA6H9Y4
Lipo 3S 5.2A Balance Charge

So basically, a 5000 would be 5.0A, 5500 would be 5.5A, 6000 would be 6.0A? How about storage charging settings? How long can they sit in the storage charge state?
Storage charge is perfect forever. Now you may have to check them once a month or so but they should hold at 3.8v per cell.

Storage charge is perfect forever. Now you may have to check them once a month or so but they should hold at 3.8v per cell.

So when the truck goes into limp mode, and I'm done for the day, I hook the battery to the charger, and select "storage charge"? Is there just a standard storage charge setting on most chargers, or do you have to change some settings for each different battery?

So when the truck goes into limp mode, and I'm done for the day, I hook the battery to the charger, and select "storage charge"? Is there just a standard storage charge setting on most chargers, or do you have to change some settings for each different battery?

Typically there is a "Storage" mode that either brings the cells up or brings the cells down to 3.8V. I try to avoid using the charger to discharge my packs because it takes forever. 2 or 3 more minutes of runtime to discharge below 3.8V is better than 30 minutes to discharge the same amount on the charger.

Let you packs cool before hooking them up to the charger as well.

Also, whenever possible charge at a 1c rate even if your battery can charge at 2c. 2c means 10.4A rather than 5.2A as @jondilly1974 stated before. 5.2A = 1c charge rate and 10.4A = 2c charge rate.

Yep storage mode is pretty automatic. Just plug them in, hit storage, and wait for the beep.
Typically there is a "Storage" mode that either brings the cells up or brings the cells down to 3.8V. I try to avoid using the charger to discharge my packs because it takes forever. 2 or 3 more minutes of runtime to discharge below 3.8V is better than 30 minutes to discharge the same amount on the charger.

Let you packs cool before hooking them up to the charger as well.

Also, whenever possible charge at a 1c rate even if your battery can charge at 2c. 2c means 10.4A rather than 5.2A as @jondilly1974 stated before. 5.2A = 1c charge rate and 10.4A = 2c charge rate.
I only ever charge at 1C. There is never a time where I can’t wait and must charge 2C.

Thanks for all the info guys. Of course it's pouring out here, so I won't be able to take the truck out today.

So I finally charged a battery today. The charger turned off after the battery reached 2600? Shouldn't it get to 5200?

Most batteries are shipped with anywhere between 30 and 40 percent charge, plus the battery might need to "break in" a bit before it starts performing really well

So I finally charged a battery today. The charger turned off after the battery reached 2600? Shouldn't it get to 5200?
You should never completely drain a Lipo so you should never have to put 5200mah back in. ??

Ah, so the final number when charged, is saying how much was put into the battery, and not what the battery is actually at?
Yeah I believe all chargers are telling you how much you put back in the tank, like the gas pump meter.

That’s about what I would expect out of a 5200mah if your going pretty hard. WOT should be about 10 mins. Drive it like a granny and it may last 30 mins.

So my charger is a dual charger. By default, it sends 75w to each channel, but I can adjust that. If I'm only charging one battery, should I put all 150w to the channel I'm using, and will that make it charge faster? Also, the end voltage by default, is set to 4.20 v/s. Is that the setting I should keep?

If the charger is 75W per channel it will only do 75W, so the charge won't go any faster. And 4.2V is the standard cutoff for LiPo

If the charger is 75W per channel it will only do 75W, so the charge won't go any faster. And 4.2V is the standard cutoff for LiPo

Okay, thanks. My charge current is set to 5.2A because my battery is a 5200mAh. Can I set the discharge rate to 5.2A when doing a storage charge, or should I leave it at the default setting of 2.0A?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back