Kraton Help with gearing/motor temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcLord510

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
So now that my kraton exb 6s actually runs without striping diffs, which I believe was at fault of the diff case being casted wrong or something, I now have the issue of gearing, I couldn’t get through a battery pack as everything was way way to hot, I’m running a hobby wing max 6 with a 4985 1650kv motor, zee 6s 6000mah batts, and 18t pinion, and whatever is stock on the kraton exb 6s for spur, what gearing do you guys recommend? As with a 18 it’s just way way to hot and I don’t wanna wreck my motor or esc

18t shouldn't be too hot tbh. Do you not have fans?

Ide use a 14 tooth pinion for starters and gear up from there

Yeah would probably do fine
Would give extra speed over my 14 tooth setup

Yeah would probably do fine
Would give extra speed over my 14 tooth setup
alright, I’ll give that a shot and see how it does, but to anyone else if you have any suggestions I’m still gonna experiment

I have that exact setup down to the battery lol and run 18 5oot( pinion with the 46tooth spur gear and only gets warm towards the end of the pack

5645A84F-85A4-45E1-84F7-4C7A32E446D5.png

I have run with and without a fan too. I recommend a fan like this

Attachments

• 8DA270F6-B1CB-4321-900D-26FEEF937E58.jpeg
    8DA270F6-B1CB-4321-900D-26FEEF937E58.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 41
And the Alza racing style motor fan mount

FC84740C-E694-402B-A32F-84953DB651FA.jpeg

Wow 23 would probably get real warm

Best to also get a temp gun and keep your temps under 165-175° f
I’d also get a 14 & 16 tooth mod 1 pinion to have in case

And the Alza racing style motor fan mount

Wow 23 would probably get real warm

Best to also get a temp gun and keep your temps under 165-175° f
I’d also get a 14 & 16 tooth mod 1 pinion to have in case

I haven't used it much yet. Only done some really short bursts around my street.
Going out tomorrow to an RC track so will take a 20T and 16T I have just in case things get too hot :) - I'm also running the 4985

What were the actual motor temps when running? Make sure to get a temp gun if you don't have one. You may be in the normal range and just don't know it.

So now that my kraton exb 6s actually runs without striping diffs, which I believe was at fault of the diff case being casted wrong or something, I now have the issue of gearing, I couldn’t get through a battery pack as everything was way way to hot, I’m running a hobby wing max 6 with a 4985 1650kv motor, zee 6s 6000mah batts, and 18t pinion, and whatever is stock on the kraton exb 6s for spur, what gearing do you guys recommend? As with a 18 it’s just way way to hot and I don’t wanna wreck my motor or esc
Have the same setup but I do have fans (2 motor, 1 ESC) all 40mm. Just too hot to run without them. If using a heat gun what are your temps?

Ran Kraton this week back to back 2 full runs 90ish down south 7p...147F ESC other is motor
1656819775155.png

I didn't have a very long session at the track today. Only went through one battery before bending an axle and cbf fixing it on the spot.
Was fairly gentle on it. The track was quite small so couldnt really get into it for long and putted around most of the time but motor temps when tested were only about 40C. Barely warm to the touch.
I have a 40mm fan and heatsink on the motor.

What were the actual motor temps when running? Make sure to get a temp gun if you don't have one. You may be in the normal range and just don't know it.
I think after 3/4s of a pack I was doing 179, and that was with a 16 which Is just barely enough power

On my Max6 1650kv combo I started with a 20 tooth gear and it was much too hot to touch. I then began steeping down to a 19T then a 17T but the motor was still too hot to touch. I finally decided to add dual 40MM Powerhobby Twister fans and this Powerhobby 47-49mm motor mount.

Edit: I also needed a 3inch 10awg wire extension to connect the wires to the ESC when looping the wires over the top oif the high profile Powerhobby fans.

Just yesterday I was running it in 100F weather in the grass and the motor was barely warm to the touch after putting two batteries through it.

P.S. That Powerhobby motor mount is the only mount I could find that fits the 1650Kv motor. You can purchase the mount on ebay as well but since I was already purchasing the fans direct from Power Hobby I added the mount to my order.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back