Kraton Help with gearing/motor temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my Max6 1650kv combo I started with a 20 tooth gear and it was much too hot to touch. I then began steeping down to a 19T then a 17T but the motor was still too hot to touch. I finally decided to add dual 40MM Powerhobby Twister fans and this Powerhobby 47-49mm motor mount.

Just yesterday I was running it in 100F weather in the grass and the motor was barely warm after putting two or more batteries through it.

P.S. That Powerhobby motor mount is the only mount I could find that fits the 1650Kv motor. You can purchase the mount on ebay as well but since I was already purchasing the fans direct from Power Hobby I added the mount to my order.

Do you need 3x of those motor mounts? One in the middle and one at each end of the 2x fan setup?

Alza Racing sells a 40mm motor fan mount to fit the 4985 1650kv HW motor and zip ties on nicely
117A6847-5B83-4646-8E75-6C3A628E3312.jpeg

B33BFFC1-E92E-4CB7-AAFE-F03A2E0ADF48.jpeg

Do you need 3x of those motor mounts? One in the middle and one at each end of the 2x fan setup?
Just one in the middle. There is not enough room for a second or third mount because they will be blocked by both the wires exiting the motor on one side and the motor mount on the other. I also tried dual 30MM NHX fans but the m3 screws were too narrow in diameter to fit in the Powerhobby mount. The mount fits M4 screws.

I found the best position to be for the motor wires to be pointing straight up. Then there is just enough space to slide the wires between the body and then loop them over the fans but then I needed a 3inch 10awg wire extension to connect the wires to the ESC. You may not need the extensions if you use a lower profiule fan such as the NHX 30mm fans.

I found that when turning the motor 90 degrees towards the outside of the vehicle that there was not enough room where the wires exit the motor. The wires would rub against the body and that did not seem feasible in the case of an odd crash jamming the wires. Then when I turned the motor 90 degrees toward the center of the car then the center brace would interfere with the wires.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back