Help with gyro orientation please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spook

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Help..... I have my granite apart it install a Radiolink RC4GS radio and receiver. The R6FG receiver only fits in the box sideways (ie when the truck is moving forwards the wide part of the receiver will be left to right on the truck) I kind of assumed the long part would be front to back when moving forward. Will this be a problem for the gyro or doesn’t it matter ?

many thanks.

In general and 99% of the time most Gyro type Rx's, are mounted either vertical or horizontal. The X/Y axis of the gyros orientation needs this for an effective Yaw rate translation to the ST servo. The servo must be affixed very secure using strong servo tape or adhesives and absolutely not budge/shift with normal chassis vibrations. You will end up with ST oscillation issues otherwise. It will drive you crazy. The rig must be still and on a flat surface when Binding and when always powering it "On" to run/bash. I don't have specific knowledge with the Radio Link gyro, but most are the same. Follow the instructions from RadioLink to the T. I use the Specktrum variants. Others may chime in.:cool:

Thank you. There were very little in the way of instructions regarding mounting. I have it securely fixed to the base of the box with automotive tape....

I know that Radiolink is a bit short on instructions.(y):cool:

Radiolink makes a great budget radio. I think everyone with an STX2 RTR radio should get the Radiolink and not look back. I use higher end radios. I don't have specific experience with Radiolink, but search around, and you will find great reviews. The price is right. And even Raz does Speed Runs using the Radiolink and he has some of the most expensive radios in his arsenal. Food for thought.:cool:

In general and 99% of the time most Gyro type Rx's, are mounted either vertical or horizontal. The X/Y axis of the gyros orientation needs this for an effective Yaw rate translation to the ST servo. The servo must be affixed very secure using strong servo tape or adhesives and absolutely not budge/shift with normal chassis vibrations. You will end up with ST oscillation issues otherwise. It will drive you crazy. The rig must be still and on a flat surface when Binding and when always powering it "On" to run/bash. I don't have specific knowledge with the Radio Link gyro, but most are the same. Follow the instructions from RadioLink to the T. I use the Specktrum variants. Others may chime in.:cool:
I have 2 gyro vehicles both work fine with the receiver mounted in the receiver box. I install in the same position as the one. You want to use professional grade thin 3M double sided tape or some type of strong glue, to work right it can not be loose.

^^^
Yet many say to use a thick foam padded tape for the Gyro./ RX w/gyro. Because it will supposedly Isolate chassis vibration. I beg to differ. You can't isolate the chassis vibration from the Gyro. And thicker foam padded tape will cause the Gyro to shift and sway ever so minutely, causing false corrections/oscillation. I feel the Gyro must be as solid and rigid to the chassis as possible. It is designed for Vibration environments. I use a thin strong 3M Automotive trim tape or a very thin layer of silicone adhesive. I tried many methods. Many tapes. . Have many Rx gyros as well as standalone gyros that I have played with. I don't feel it has to be in any special area of the chassis to effectively sense the Yaw rate. Wherever it fits best. Ideally protected in the Rx box if possible.
Works for me best. The rest is tuning them properly. I run little Gain. My favorite standalone gyro is the SkyRC GC-401 ( newest model). Has 3 Correction curves to choose from based on the type of driving. I feel flat down is best if it will fit that way. More surface area for the adhesive.

Last edited:
As long as it's flat to the chassis, doesn't matter how it's rotated on that plane. At least that was my experience when I used it. Never liked it really, I have a FlySky GT5 now and it's much better in that area (but lacking in others). If it corrects the wrong way, check the manual to reverse the action.

^^^
Yet many say to use a thick foam padded tape for the Gyro./ RX w/gyro. Because it will supposedly Isolate chassis vibration. I beg to differ. You can't isolate the chassis vibration from the Gyro. And thicker foam padded tape will cause the Gyro to shift and sway ever so minutely, causing false corrections/oscillation. I feel the Gyro must be as solid and rigid to the chassis as possible. It is designed for Vibration environments. I use a thin strong 3M Automotive trim tape or a very thin layer of silicone adhesive. I tried many methods. Many tapes. . Have many Rx gyros as well as standalone gyros that I have played with. I don't feel it has to be in any special area of the chassis to effectively sense the Yaw rate. Wherever it fits best. Ideally protected in the Rx box if possible.
Works for me best. The rest is tuning them properly. I run little Gain. My favorite standalone gyro is the SkyRC GC-401 ( newest model). Has 3 Correction curves to choose from based on the type of driving. I feel flat down is best if it will fit that way. More surface area for the adhesive.
Would you have a link to the thin strong 3M Automotive trim tap you are using?
Thank you for the help - it's much appreciated!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back