Help! With Lipo Internal Resistance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan7

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Bought a brand new Zippy Compact 6200mah 40c, check internal resistance of it with SkyRc Q200 and said 20mohms per cell!!! Is that even possible in a brand new lipo? Did couple cycles, run it in my car with no problem, little bit of voltage loss but no kind of problem with the battery, not even hot, still internal resistance super high, went down to 10mohms and then when tested again 20mohms. They rc store I bought from said he won’t claim any warranty since the performance of the battery is good, and the cells are perfectly balanced

Seems a bit high but resistance does change pending charge level. Mine are all in the 3mOhm range though.
It is a 40C pack and you would expect higher resistance, this high seems very odd.

Is your charger accurate on those readings?

Seems high... have you tried other batteries to rule out your charger as the cause?
Thanks for the fast reply, I have like 15 batteries, all have the correspondent internal resistance, the charger is very precise(200$ charger) all the readings are quite precise, I really don’t understand why the internal resistance is that high, it doesn’t have any performance issue at all, the drive times are incredible too, almost one hour driving...
Seems a bit high but resistance does change pending charge level. Mine are all in the 3mOhm range though.
It is a 40C pack and you would expect higher resistance, this high seems very odd.

Is your charger accurate on those readings?
The charger is very accurate, all the other batteries have great readings and they are not weird at all, readings that makes sense...

It's not unheard off and if all cells are equal that is the biggest factor. These are not high drain cells and the 20mOhm are tolerable.
Unusual and raised an eyebrow but if everything else pans out it's a 'don't worry'.

It's not unheard off and if all cells are equal that is the biggest factor. These are not high drain cells and the 20mOhm are tolerable.
Unusual and raised an eyebrow but if everything else pans out it's a 'don't worry'.
Right now the battery is at 3.8v flat across all cells, perfect balance, checked resistance again and getting 16 19 19
Checking with different connectors and diferent balance adaptors, they go as little as 10mohms and as high as 22mohms, with a difference of up to 4-5 mohms in each cell
I’m very demanding and I’m quite stressed out about the situation, I will not worry as you say since the performance is good and drive teams are good too, thanks again, will use them and if the IR keeps going up will ask again :)

Last edited:
Something like this is happening to me right now with some batteries ordered from CHNL. Ordered 1500mah 100c 11.1wrh 2s batteries for my merv and when i plugged them in the charger to see the state that they arrived in I noticed that the internal resistance is 11ohms and 13ohms in one and 11 and 12 ohms on the other. I don't know what to do. Shall I try to contact CHNL to see if they can send me replacement ones or are those values ok? Thanks in advance and would also like to know what happened with yours after almost a year OP?

Something like this is happening to me right now with some batteries ordered from CHNL. Ordered 1500mah 100c 11.1wrh 2s batteries for my merv and when i plugged them in the charger to see the state that they arrived in I noticed that the internal resistance is 11ohms and 13ohms in one and 11 and 12 ohms on the other. I don't know what to do. Shall I try to contact CHNL to see if they can send me replacement ones or are those values ok? Thanks in advance and would also like to know what happened with yours after almost a year OP?

This is normal for 1500 mah cells.

I just checked my 3 year old zop power 3s 4500 75c lipo and it has a slight puff and ir is 60 per cell, is something that could die relatively soon? Should i replace them with all the black friday deals on currently?

60mOhm is trash. Usually you are a factor of 10x better and even that is high. Discharge completely and throw away.
Used it today and went fine, the cells are balanced nice too. I ordered graphene lipos anyway. I went and tried it on another charger and the IR was 30. Questioning how accurate these readings are, that’s a decent discrepancy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back