Help With Non-Arrma Budget Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Mojave
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 3s
Hey guys, I dug out my old Bezgar HM101 and decided to make a project out of it. They were my first hobby grade RCs. I actually have two, they were purchased from Amazon and are what got me into this wonderful hobby. Stock form they come with a 550 brushed can and an all metal drive train. I want to upgrade them both to mild brushless systems and run them on 2S, 3S would make these guys uncontrollable. As you can see, space is very limited. The stock setup in there now is a 2 in 1 ESC & receiver. I'm leaning towards a 2 in 1 motor & esc combo, or a 2 in 1 esc/rx combo to maximize space. Please feel free to suggest any electronics that may fit this setup. Thanks.

20230529_164917.jpg

20230529_164908.jpg

One of these 2838 systems would work well. I installed one to replace the motor in my wltoys 1/12 buggy with a 550. Way lighter now and still plenty of power.https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOWlOog
Thanks, that seems to be just what I'm looking for. Did you go with 3200 or 4400kv? How has your experience been with that combo? 🤔

Last edited:
Its not insane over powered like when I had the 3650 motor in it and it was ripping tires off. But with the 2838 it has good power and saves a bunch of weight which means it takes even more of a beating.
I went with the 4400kv but also picked up a 3200kv one to use in my son's 1/14 wltoys buggy for when the brushed motor burns up.
You can see it in my build thread page 3 for the 2838 and page 1 is the 3650

Last edited:
I just realized that your truck is a 1/10 not a 1/16 bezgar. Do you know what the weight of it is? Is it as heavy as say a Granite? If it's pretty heavy you are probably better with a 3650 or at the very least a 2845 with a low kv

I just realized that your truck is a 1/10 not a 1/16 bezgar. Do you know what the weight of it is? Is it as heavy as say a Granite? If it's pretty heavy you are probably better with a 3650 or at the very least a 2845 with a low kv

Yea, it's labeled as a 1/10th scale, but I think 1/12th would've been more appropriate. It's one of the smaller "1/10th" trucks I've seen. According to manufacturers specs on Amazon it's about 7.1 pounds. But I found another website stating it's 6.3 pounds. I'd say the 6.3 pound listing sounds like the more accurate weight. Definitely doesn't feel heavier than a Granite in my hands.

Screenshot_20230529_231855_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20230529_231949_Amazon Shopping.jpg

HW Fusion? Get a higher kv one if possible
I looked into those, but they cost a little more than I wanted to put into this thing. Something mild along the lines of a Surpass Or GoolRC are what I'm looking for. This truck MAY get driven 3 times a year. I'd be happy with a $40-$50 combo from Amazon. I barely plan on running it, so i don't really need top tier electronics. This is really more-so of a project just to keep myself busy lol 🤷‍♂️

I looked into those, but they cost a little more than I wanted to put into this thing. Something mild along the lines of a Surpass Or GoolRC are what I'm looking for. This truck MAY get driven 3 times a year. I'd be happy with a $40-$50 combo from Amazon. I barely plan on running it, so i don't really need top tier electronics. This is really more-so of a project just to keep myself busy lol 🤷‍♂️
Excellent and sensible points.

You're not gonna be happy with the Amazon/eBay ESCs. Difficult to program, troubleshoot and they're weak and prone to cog at least. Motors have been good, something like a surpass hobby 3650 is $30 on Amazon and works good. You should definitely go with a HW Quicrun tho for ESC. The 120 amp is under $50, or the 60 amp is under $40 and they work good.

Screenshot_20230529-213124.png

and:

Screenshot_20230529-213900.png

or:

Screenshot_20230529-213920.png

Yeah the granite is about 6lbs I believe. So definitely want to go with the 3650 setup. The cheap esc combos for the 3650 I found are ok once moving but still hesitate and cog off the line like @Mikeeeeeeeeeal said. If you want to keep it super cheap try it out. But you will probably enjoy it more with a decent esc. Which is actually what happened to my buggy when I first put the 3650 in it.

When I put the BLX100 in it. Any cogging was gone. But was just to overpowered at 2s for a 2.5lb buggy.

You're not gonna be happy with the Amazon/eBay ESCs. Difficult to program, troubleshoot and they're weak and prone to cog at least. Motors have been good, something like a surpass hobby 3650 is $30 on Amazon and works good. You should definitely go with a HW Quicrun tho for ESC. The 120 amp is under $50, or the 60 amp is under $40 and they work good.

View attachment 302937

and:

View attachment 302938

or:

View attachment 302939
Yeah the granite is about 6lbs I believe. So definitely want to go with the 3650 setup. The cheap esc combos for the 3650 I found are ok once moving but still hesitate and cog off the line like @Mikeeeeeeeeeal said. If you want to keep it super cheap try it out. But you will probably enjoy it more with a decent esc. Which is actually what happened to my buggy when I first put the 3650 in it.

When I put the BLX100 in it. Any cogging was gone. But was just to overpowered at 2s for a 2.5lb buggy.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll go with the Surpass/Quicrun 60A combo. Like I said, I don't really plan on running anything more than 2S. These trucks would be airborne for sure on 3S. I just needed a project to satisfy for my quench for wrenching, and this should do the trick lol 😁

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll go with the Surpass/Quicrun 60A combo. Like I said, I don't really plan on running anything more than 2S. These trucks would be airborne for sure on 3S. I just needed a project to satisfy for my quench for wrenching, and this should do the trick lol 😁
If you get a chance and have a scale, can you weight the truck?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back