Kraton Help with slipped CVD/driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Duperbash

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton and Outcast bash ended a bit early due to slipped and jambed front driveshaft. I know someone posted something about putting longer Team Durango cups on that are deeper/longer. Any thoughts or part numbers much appreciated. At least my son tore it up with the Outcast to make our session fun and worthwhile.
IMG_20170120_172310840.jpg
IMG_20170120_172323206.jpg
00DF98EFCC06A0CAD598F7D8A4081A7A.jpg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kraton and Outcast bash ended a bit early due to slipped and jambed front driveshaft. I know someone posted something about putting longer Team Durango cups on that are deeper/longer. Any thoughts or part numbers much appreciated. At least my son tore it up with the Outcast to make our session fun and worthwhile. View attachment 5657 View attachment 5658 View attachment 5659
These work great,i have them in the front diff and they work with the stock shims.I have cvd's on the back as well and going to give the back diff the same outdrives.

View attachment 5667 View attachment 5668
These work great,i have them in the front diff and they work with the stock shims.I have cvd's on the back as well and going to give the back diff the same outdrives.
Thanks big-time Kauiaguy!!! Those were the ones I was looking at online, good to know they work, ordering some today. I remember reading your post about CVDs in the rear, don't want any slippage like that happening again. Fortunately, front diff was spared any noticeable damage. Output cup did get tweaked/munched a bit.

IMG_0486.PNG
Looks like your upper ball joint pulled out to cause that. Looks like I can see threads. Maybe not....might just be the picture.

Are the outdrives longer on the Durango cups toward the outside of the cups ? And is the slot deeper going towards the diff ? I'm thinking on getting these before I rebuild my diffs. If it's better than the stock ones...then it's a no brainer.

Last edited:
View attachment 5690 Looks like your upper ball joint pulled out to cause that. Looks like I can see threads. Maybe not....might just be the picture.

Are the outdrives longer on the Durango cups toward the outside of the cups ? And is the slot deeper going towards the diff ? I'm thinking on getting these before I rebuild my diffs. If it's better than the stock ones...then it's a no brainer.
Just ordered 2 sets from Tower with some extra diff gear sets. Balls were fine, just rebuilt front diff and shimmed, gears showed no wear, old 50k even looked and smelled normal/good. Not sure what's up. Here's some pics with new outdrive cup I put on in the meantime. When I fully extend arm upward, akin to landing with no chassis slap to just right front wheel at an angled endo persay, which is the flail that caused this, if pin and cup are facing downwards, lower pin is exiting cup slot, or just about. Looks like a perfect storm/flail situation is the only thing that would cause a repeat. Doesn't quite do this on left side, didn't measure shafts to verify equal length. Haven't disassembled CVD end yet, but will soon, appears equal in seating...Etc. Haven't changed caster or added shims to arms....Weirdness.
IMG_20170121_174850100.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170121_174835483.jpg
    IMG_20170121_174835483.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 46
image.jpeg
View attachment 5690 Looks like your upper ball joint pulled out to cause that. Looks like I can see threads. Maybe not....might just be the picture.

The slot is deeper towards the diff,has more relief for a greater angle while all the way in.

Just ordered 2 sets from Tower with some extra diff gear sets. Balls were fine, just rebuilt front diff and shimmed, gears showed no wear, old 50k even looked and smelled normal/good. Not sure what's up. Here's some pics with new outdrive cup I put on in the meantime. When I fully extend arm upward, akin to landing with no chassis slap to just right front wheel at an angled endo persay, which is the flail that caused this, if pin and cup are facing downwards, lower pin is exiting cup slot, or just about. Looks like a perfect storm/flail situation is the only thing that would cause a repeat. Doesn't quite do this on left side, didn't measure shafts to verify equal length. Haven't disassembled CVD end yet, but will soon, appears equal in seating...Etc. Haven't changed caster or added shims to arms....Weirdness.View attachment 5693
Maybe your hinge pin got bent,if you have a front on impact where the little bumper is ,it can easliy get bent?

Last edited:
View attachment 5699
The slot is deeper towards the diff,has more relieve for a greater angle while all the way in.

Maybe your hinge pin got bent,if you have a front on impact where the little bumper is ,it can easliy get bent?
Pin and driveshaft looked good, both straight, sort of a head scratcher. I'll get back to you if I notice anything worthy of mention, thanks for your guy's input and help, much appreciated.

Pin and driveshaft looked good, both straight, sort of a head scratcher. I'll get back to you if I notice anything worthy of mention, thanks for your guy's input and help, much appreciated.

This happened on my Outcast, like you say sort of a head scratcher.
Started my own thread here https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/front-axles-pops-out-from-diff-cups.7463/#post-73068
Have had a couple of answers from members with the same problem but no solution really. Been searching and it doesn't seem to be a common problem, finally I found this ol' thread but still no real cause. Did you ever find the cause ? Did the Team Durango drive cups help ?

This happened on my Outcast, like you say sort of a head scratcher.
Started my own thread here https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/front-axles-pops-out-from-diff-cups.7463/#post-73068
Have had a couple of answers from members with the same problem but no solution really. Been searching and it doesn't seem to be a common problem, finally I found this ol' thread but still no real cause. Did you ever find the cause ? Did the Team Durango drive cups help ?
I actually never ran the TD cups until just a few weeks ago in the rear of my Kraton. They're basically the same length as regular cups, just a deeper cut. That being the case, they shouldn't really help prevent displacement. I pop out a front CVD maybe once every few months. It's always from over upward extension. It's not overly problematic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back