Typhon Help with speed runs!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talion4speed

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
  2. Typhon 6s
Hey guys I don't know what I'm doing wrong I think I have the right setup I'm running 34 spur and have tried 28,30,34t pinion with 2200kv Poseidon motor with castle xlx esc with 35volt cap pack running 2 smc 6000mah 150c batteries but my PB is only 104 mph and I just cant seem to go any faster than that. Is there something else that I'm missing? Oh yea this is all in a arrma Typhon

Have you pulled the data logs from the ESC?

I'd have thought you'd be getting more than that with that set up.

I've not used a XLX myself so hopefully some of the other guys can help you with that in case it is limiting you somehow. As Mr Duke says above you'll need to look maybe at the logs. Some who maybe able to help more; @joostin420 @phildogg @LibertyMKiii

Yea I have looked at the logs but I really don't know what I'm looking at Lol this log right here has 2 passes on it.

Attachments

• 20190615_093038.jpg
    20190615_093038.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 101
Yea I have looked at the logs but I really don't know what I'm looking at Lol this log right here has 2 passes on it.
Ideally you want to zoom into just the section of the log where the speed run exists. This will help you see voltage drops under load. Looking at peak values the ripple, amps, and volts appear ok. BUT peak rpms look way high. 66721 rpms is a bit high and not really possible on 6s with that motor. I suspect you need to go into the setting and change to a 4 pole motor. Remember that electric motors torque curve is low and mid range.
It is hard to say if gearing is the issue since the log data isn't correct. Assuming it's wrong and actually 33k rpm that is indicating you should try a bigger pinion gear. What does the body look like? Aerodynamics play a big part.

Last edited:
Which Poseidon motor; p1515 pv 22?

I have not used a castle xlx yet, but that is the esc I will use this time in my typhon gt8 with TP 4050cm 3200kv.

Oh ok. I don't see a setting to change to 4 pole motor. I'm using the v4 typhon body. Yea I'm using the 1515 pv22

Oh ok. I don't see a setting to change to 4 pole motor. I'm using the v4 typhon body. Yea I'm using the 1515 pv22
I tried uploading a video but I'm having trouble. Have your log opened up like you did.go to edit tab at top left of window. There you will see a tab for "change motor pole count/ gearing.

Oh I see thanks. It was on 2 poles not 4. Do you think that will make a big difference?
Here's the graph changing to 4 poles

Attachments

• Graph7.jpg
    Graph7.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 58
Here's the correct graph with my setup
Fixing the poles just helps us understand what the motor is doing on the graphs. It will not do anything to the esc performance. What you want to do is hover your mouse over the point on the graph where the rpms are the highest. (I keep a spread sheet of rpms, volts, amps, ripple, speed, air temp, tires, location, wind speed, etc)
It looks like your first pass the volts dropped to 18v and second pass went near 16v. This is why many guys run parallel batteries to reduce voltage sag under load. (Not really possible with the stock body)

I actually think you are in the ball park of where this 1515 motor will take you given the aerodynamics of the setup. Keep in mind the guys going faster (120-140 mph) are running larger 40mm x 107mm motors like the tp 4070 or steve neu 1527 or 1530.

My prediction for the new Limitless car is the same. Open wheel aero limits the car significantly. Full bodied Arrma cars have gone into the 140-160 range due to the aerodynamic benefits.

Last edited:
Yea I actually have a 4070 2700kv kill mode edition motor but I have burnt up 3 xlx esc running it. I don't know if its something I'm doing wrong or can a bad motor make a esc go bad?

Yea I actually have a 4070 2700kv kill mode edition motor but I have burnt up 3 xlx esc running it. I don't know if its something I'm doing wrong or can a bad motor make a esc go bad?
@phildogg might have some good input here.

Higher kv motors pull significanly more amps. I have heard many people say that there is not a good esc option that can power the 4070 cm to it's full abilities. A lower kv option might help (below 2000kv) non cm series. Hopefully Phil can give some advice here. I know he has used many of the 4070 motors.

The tp cm motors are very high rpm and draw a lot of amps. You may need to upgrade your cap pack to something a little more overkill.

In my Kraton I am running a tp 4070cm 2200kv, hw max5 esc, geared 20/50 pinion/spur, and killmode 6 pack. The tag shows rated 13,200uf 50v with the test showing over 18,000uf.

The killmode 6 pack for my typhon gt8 shows test of 21,000uf+ f

ok first with the posiedon motor it should be faster. what are your specific esc setting? lvc, and amp setting mainly. also what is the distance used for your runs? With the killmode 2700 or any 2700 4070 type can it can be a fast setup . never gear too high! 30/34 would be a good gear for that motor. shouldn't be a battery issue either if you can send me your logs I can see exactly whats going on. lmk or pm me and i can give email. you already burned up 3 xlx with the km motor. maybe a short in motor?

I'm going down the same road right now. 2700kv kill mode motor, burnt up xlx, graphene 100c batteries (6s) in my stretched Typhon. What ESC you end up going with?

You guys running added cap packs? I just had my xlx go up un flames and a rep from castle told me high ripple voltage will kill an esc. I got maybe a dozen runs or so before mine went up but I wasnt running a cap pack till the very last run. Looking at my past data logs, my ripple was way over the max for this esc. About double. The last log with the cap pack showed the ripple a lot lower and within castles "limit". They say for 6s you don't want more than 2.2v ripple. Hope that helps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back