Help with very stripped screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superticky

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion EXB
So I didn't have the right tools to remove the motor mount screw which I'm sure has red thread lock. So I went to my LHS and that didn't work out.

They tried with special tools until screw was stripped. Then they tried with special tools for stripped screws and still nothing.

I ended up with a very now rounded stripped screw. I need to get it out to service the center diff. Any ideas how to get rid of this mess ?

Thank guys !

Hmmmm.... you won’t like what I’m about to tell you. You’ll need to drill out the head. Example: if it’s a 3mm diameter fastener, you’ll need to select a drill bit which is slightly larger... say a 0.125 diameter drill (3mm translates to 0.118”). Apply light pressure just until head detaches from the threaded part of the screw. Remove the part and use pliers to remove the rest of the screw.

Takes some patience, but it’s very doable. ❗️Don’t forget the safety glasses❗

Hopefully this will teach you to not skimp out of high-quality tools...

So here's what i ended up doing. I carefully drilled straight down the center of the screw with the smallest bit i had. Did that two more times making sure to never use a bit larger in diameter than the screw itself. Heated it up a bit, than gently tapped the smallest screw extractor and spun the threaded part of the screw back out. You have to heat up all the stock screws that are attached to metal, as they use red loctite from the factory. Used blue when i put them back together. It's not easy, but it is possible.

Drilled it dead center too.. nice. Shoulda been a machinist Johnny... ummmm... Mr.Poop.

Good job! That's not an easy thing to do. What kind of drill bits did you use? I know those heat treated screws are HARD!

Good job! That's not an easy thing to do. What kind of drill bits did you use? I know those heat treated screws are HARD!

I know this question was directed at NotoriousJ, but I’d like to weigh in here saying that these screws are only case hardened.. making only their surface hard. Therefore, just make sure to use a quality HSS sharp drill bit, but do not apply too much pressure... take my word on this, as it’ll “grab” and damages/injuries might occur.

Sorry, Cooter. Been in and out of the forum for a couple of days. Like @MrTitanium said, a standard set of HSS bits will work fine, but I do like to place a couple of drops of oil, before each cut. Bits stay cooler and sharper longer that way and less chance of binding during each cut.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back