Helpful video for soldering thick wire.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBob88

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to share a video that really helped me.
I bought my kraton 2nd hand and changed over to deans connectors. Well the first owner had changed over to traxxas style. So when I go to plug batteries in, the lead is now too short. So I needed to add a few inches of 10 gage wire.
this video showed me how to make an extremely strong end to end joint.

Tip #1, don't try using a soldering iron that doesn't have enough power.

The first time I tried soldering even AWG12 to my traxxas connectors it was a nightmare. I was trying to use an old 25W radio shack iron I had been using for small electronics for 20 years. It was literally one I had when I was in college as I lost the one they gave us in our discrete kits. It failed miserably and looked like a drunk infant soldered it.

I got a cheapo variable up to 60W iron on amazon for $20 and it worked great. I later got a fixed wattage 100W iron to disassemble lipo packs as even the 60W iron didn't have enough power to melt the large solder blobs on the lipo tabs. That thing feels like your soldering with a baseball bat. But it worked great as well.

Having an under powered soldering iron is one of those unbelievably frustrating things that can drive you nuts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back