Kraton Hex 6 with Hobbywing 4985

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbobjr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
Well I started this kraton with the stock motor and blx. My upgrades made it too heavy and would heat up the motor well past 200f before a 6s pack was 1/2 done. So time for new electrics. Went with a hex6 because I found one cheap and the rocket 4585 motor from ebay. There is a thread on that one so short story is runs like a beast but too hot. That motor will find a new home soon.
After Mr.duke posted his build and a couple other guys using the hobbywing 4985 I thought if try it. Bought it right from hw and got it in 3 days. Killer motor, fits with the M2C motor mount with no mods. While running a 20t pinion it is a crazy fast basher. Still runs too hot. Was getting around 190f at the end of a pack.

Easy enough, just get a fan and mount right. So who makes a mount for a 49/47mm motor. How about know one. MrDuke makes a killer one, thought about copying his but I do not have proper sheet metal fab. equipment so it would look like a 6th grader made it. I like my shop stuff to not only work but look nice...

Made up a mount using a clamp method I learned years ago from another ptoject at work. Make an acentric and slit it. This allows for clamping action where the rear of the motor is not accessible or hindered for clearance. Made two and connected them with an aluminum fan mount holding two Hobbystar aluminum fans. Plan to make a top piece to hold the screens. Hopefully this will hold up. If not I will try and copy Mr.Dukes design. I'll let you know how it works. Here's a few pics.
20190606_024809.jpg
20190606_131402.jpg
20190606_141738.jpg
20190608_131308.jpg
20190608_132532.jpg
20190608_164313.jpg
20190608_164329.jpg
20190608_164247.jpg
20190608_171749.jpg

Well I started this kraton with the stock motor and blx. My upgrades made it too heavy and would heat up the motor well past 200f before a 6s pack was 1/2 done. So time for new electrics. Went with a hex6 because I found one cheap and the rocket 4585 motor from ebay. There is a thread on that one so short story is runs like a beast but too hot. That motor will find a new home soon.
After Mr.duke posted his build and a couple other guys using the hobbywing 4985 I thought if try it. Bought it right from hw and got it in 3 days. Killer motor, fits with the M2C motor mount with no mods. While running a 20t pinion it is a crazy fast basher. Still runs too hot. Was getting around 190f at the end of a pack.

Easy enough, just get a fan and mount right. So who makes a mount for a 49/47mm motor. How about know one. MrDuke makes a killer one, thought about copying his but I do not have proper sheet metal fab. equipment so it would look like a 6th grader made it. I like my shop stuff to not only work but look nice...

Made up a mount using a clamp method I learned years ago from another ptoject at work. Make an acentric and slit it. This allows for clamping action where the rear of the motor is not accessible or hindered for clearance. Made two and connected them with an aluminum fan mount holding two Hobbystar aluminum fans. Plan to make a top piece to hold the screens. Hopefully this will hold up. If not I will try and copy Mr.Dukes design. I'll let you know how it works. Here's a few pics. View attachment 40338View attachment 40339View attachment 40340View attachment 40341View attachment 40342View attachment 40343View attachment 40344View attachment 40345View attachment 40346

Looks stout! Nice design!

Looks stout! Nice design!
Thanks, I manage to find a piece of 7075 to make the clamps. They seem to have pretty good clamping action. Little worried about when things get hot, they may expand and lose force. Hopefully as they expand so does the motor and things equal out. I should have run the shrink pipe all the way to each fan. If a rock breaks a wire or a fan dies that’s what I’ll do...

Thanks, I manage to find a piece of 7075 to make the clamps. They seem to have pretty good clamping action. Little worried about when things get hot, they may expand and lose force. Hopefully as they expand so does the motor and things equal out. I should have run the shrink pipe all the way to each fan. If a rock breaks a wire or a fan dies that’s what I’ll do...
I'm impressed at nice machining and learning so much now just by paying attention to RC mods. If I were to do it again, I'd probably be happy with formal training in some engineering, design and machine operation.

Oh buddy that motor looks so sexy in there hahahaaaa glad you like it I just got mine up and running again to much power keep breaking things. I need one them fan attachments as i still can't find a fan to fit it

Looks awesome!

I'm in the process of swapping my HW4985 & Max 6 over to the v3 Talion just to see how it does in a LWB chassis and try to get most from the extra power it offers. It's complete overkill in the Outcast and I only ever hit full throttle on speed runs. 2/3rds throttle is the most I can squeeze the trigger while bashing off road or it just tries to flip itself over backwards. I had planned on going 8s in the Talion but with the new Limitless coming in Aug. I think I'm going to focus on running 8s in that instead.

One more thing I thought may be worth mentioning...
The temperature port in the back of the motor will be compatible with the next version HW ESC's but I figured that in the meantime it would be wise to put a small piece of gorilla tape over the opening to keep dirt and debris from getting inside and messing anything up.
IMG_0190.JPG

Oh buddy that motor looks so sexy in there hahahaaaa glad you like it I just got mine up and running again to much power keep breaking things. I need one them fan attachments as i still can't find a fan to fit it
Thanks Rowan, you also convinced me to go this way in your posts. Funny you mention breaking things. First 2 minutes I torqued the center right out of one of my Backflip wheels. No stripped hex as it was still attached as the wheel flew off..

One more thing I thought may be worth mentioning...
The temperature port in the back of the motor will be compatible with the next version HW ESC's but I figured that in the meantime it would be wise to put a small piece of gorilla tape over the opening to keep dirt and debris from getting inside and messing anything up.
View attachment 40361
Thanks for the tip, I need to put some tape on that. Looking forward to the new max6 esc. This motor seems perfect for this one and I’m sure the next one will be even better.

What the heck when does the new esc max6 come out I thought I bought that one haha idk what one I have
Looks awesome!

I'm in the process of swapping my HW4985 & Max 6 over to the v3 Talion just to see how it does in a LWB chassis and try to get most from the extra power it offers. It's complete overkill in the Outcast and I only ever hit full throttle on speed runs. 2/3rds throttle is the most I can squeeze the trigger while bashing off road or it just tries to flip itself over backwards. I had planned on going 8s in the Talion but with the new Limitless coming in Aug. I think I'm going to focus on running 8s in that instead.
How much for a fan mount to be built for me and shipped to Colorado I noticed my temp does get high on these hot days I got fans just nothing that will fit it and of course can't find one
Lol one more question for you guys how the heck do I get my kraton balanced when I jump it then it just straight nose dives I'm thinking maybe put the esc in the back by the battery tray to eliminate a little weight in the front side

Hey Rowan, it’s so hard for me to find time to make stuff. I wish I could pump this stuff out but it is all made the old fashioned way and takes a lot of time. As you see my lathe is from the middle of the last century as well as my other equipment. Sorry I can’t help out there.
Maybe if this setup gets more popular hw will make a heat sink fan mount. If you find one for a Castle 1717 it may work as well. Not sure about the can od, it may be 45mm like the rocket motor. Doesn’t Traxxas use that Castle motor in the e revo? Maybe the guys over on their form have a go to fan setup for the bigger can.

I’m very pleased at how this 4985 runs. Plenty of power to spare. It’s been hard on wheels and tires though. Keeps ungluing my Backflips and knocked the center right out of a front wheel.
The two hobbystar fans are really a nice addition. They sound like I have a mini drone under my body. Ive been running around 150-170f now with a 20tooth pinion, backflip tires with general good times bashing and jumping. I think I could gear it up in the cooler months or even now if I would take it easy.
Only problem I’ve been having is the esc fan keeps breaking. I’m on my third one. Going to try and rig one of these hobbystar fans in there. They are smaller but easily move more air than the ones I keep breaking. I’ll have to figure a way to mount it securely order the shroud. I’ll post the results here if it’s a pass or fail...

My abilities pale in comparison to you guys! That is some very nice work installing those fans!

This was my fantastic approach to putting a fan on the motor in my savage flux with the castle 2200kv sensored motor:
2019-0516-SavageFlux-MotorFan01.jpg

Don't have room to put it on top and it's actually situated under the esc plate, but at least there's some air flow in there now. The excess washers are there as I was trying to figure out the proper depth as the holes for the top screws are also holes on the bottom that hold the stupid mount to the truck. So you can only use half of it from either side. Goofy setup.

@Jimbobjr ... Top job ?? fan mount looks awesome..!! just as beefy as that crazy motor..?

I have the skills but no machine tools other than a pillar drill..?

P.S these fans are supposed to be insane if you need more cooling..!! https://www.wildturbofan.com/windy-

My abilities pale in comparison to you guys! That is some very nice work installing those fans!

This was my fantastic approach to putting a fan on the motor in my savage flux with the castle 2200kv sensored motor:
2019-0516-SavageFlux-MotorFan01.jpg

Don't have room to put it on top and it's actually situated under the esc plate, but at least there's some air flow in there now. The excess washers are there as I was trying to figure out the proper depth as the holes for the top screws are also holes on the bottom that hold the stupid mount to the truck. So you can only use half of it from either side. Goofy setup.
As long as it is stout and gets the job done, and that setup is both, nice work
@Jimbobjr ... Top job ?? fan mount looks awesome..!! just as beefy as that crazy motor..?

I have the skills but no machine tools other than a pillar drill..?

P.S these fans are supposed to be insane if you need more cooling..!! https://www.wildturbofan.com/windy-
Love the name “Pillar Drill”. If you have a strong two axis slide vise there’s quite I lot you can do with one for rc stuff.
I used to run a lot of manual machines at work but over time it has changed to almost all cnc. Only time spent on them now is in my garage. I learned programming and cad out of nesesity to keep up with the times. I would love to get more involved with complex machining centers but unless I start working somewhere else I doubt it will happen.
Rc cars are fun to work on, the parts are small, made out of mostly aluminum or plastic and tolerances are what you make them to.
Jim

Made up a mount using a clamp method I learned years ago from another ptoject at work. Make an acentric and slit it. This allows for clamping action where the rear of the motor is not accessible or hindered for clearance. Made two and connected them with an aluminum fan mount holding two Hobbystar aluminum fans. Plan to make a top piece to hold the screens. Hopefully this will hold up. If not I will try and copy Mr.Dukes design. I'll let you know how it works. Here's a few pics. View attachment 40338View attachment 40339View attachment 40340View attachment 40341View attachment 40342View attachment 40343View attachment 40344View attachment 40345View attachment 40346

Man sick mod that thing looks incredible in there. Yeah thankful I live in a colder climate so the heat so far hasn't been a issue. That said with all the m2c upgrades the blx system is working really hard to move my Kraton. Maybe next upgrade. ? good work I'm excited to hear how it runs.

Man sick mod that thing looks incredible in there. Yeah thankful I live in a colder climate so the heat so far hasn't been a issue. That said with all the m2c upgrades the blx system is working really hard to move my Kraton. Maybe next upgrade. ? good work I'm excited to hear how it runs.
Boy, I’d love to tell you how it runs but I’ve been breaking it a lot lately. :ROFLMAO: Today on the second jump I broke a front shock end and lost my last spring...Ran the mighty trugged typhon in its place...
The Kraton with this setup is pretty sweet, if I can keep it together I do not plan on changing much. Maybe the max6 to something better that takes up the same or less room. Not sure what that would be. Love the Castle stuff but it is getting too tech for me. I don’t want to hook my esc to my phone or any nonsense like that. I have enough trouble sending a text...I have a ztw beast I may try, but you need a card to program that too. Can’t just do with the clicks and flashes...

I know the motor says its a 4985, but how long is it exactly..??

I'm dreaming of putting one in my Infraction, I think in the standard configuration max motor length is 80..??

Last edited:
The HW 4985 measures 86.5mm long and should just barely fit in the stock location of the Infraction.

Innovation RC put the neu-1717 in the stock location and it measures out at 85mm long with a few mm to spare
IMG_0319.PNG

Spent yesterday installing the HW Max6 4985 motor combo in my v3 Talion ?
IMG_0310.JPG

The HW 4985 measures 86.5mm long and should just barely fit in the stock location of the Infraction.

Innovation RC put the neu-1717 in the stock location and it measures out at 85mm long with a few mm to spare
View attachment 40984

Spent yesterday installing the HW Max6 4985 motor combo in my v3 Talion ?
View attachment 40985
How is your balance I know with my set up it likes to nose dive in the air

View attachment 40984

Is the HW fatter than a 1717..??

My plan is looking more doable if its the same fatness..???

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back